Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 07-08-2008, 12:44 PM   #1
Kandharry
Established Member

M.O.C. #8304
Waste water drain pipe

Has anyone out there had trouble with draining the black and bath water tanks??
I've got a new 2955 and those two tanks just don't have much head pressure. And there doesn't seem to be much fall on the drain pipe itself.
The galley tank drains OK, it just takes a while to quit running after you close the valve.
But the black and bath tanks don't seem to have any head pressure on them even when they're full to the top.
My dealer says it's a common problem with Montana's.
Anyone else run into this?

Kandharry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 12:50 PM   #2
Icehouse
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7893
Yep, very common. In the summer, we will leave our gray tank open, but in the winter we do not - the sewer hose will freeze instantly. The black tank gets a lot of washing after it has been dumped - summer or winter - and with hot water. But there is no slope on these tanks to help drain them. I think it is an improvement that could be afforded in the future.
By the way, welcome to the forum!
Tammy
Icehouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 02:13 PM   #3
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
That is odd, on our 3400 we don't have any problem at all emptying any of the tanks. I have a clear elbow on the drain-pipe and when emptying any of the three tanks, the elbow flows practically full. I don't know if the drain configurations are different in different units, however. I think the dealer is trying to get out of checking to make sure that the valves are operating correctly. Something doesn't sound right and if it were me I would insist on checking the valves. It is a big job since I believe you have to drop the underbelly to check them.
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 02:24 PM   #4
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110
I've never noticed a problem when dumping our tanks. If I thought it was going too slow or didn't have any pressure behind it after I opened the valve I believe I would be concerned about a restriction somewhere.
Old 07-08-2008, 02:43 PM   #5
Icehouse
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7893
Maybe I misunderstood. I know that we are extra careful with the black tank when dumping to make sure it is washed and washed and washed to prevent the pyramid effect of the TP in the tank. Like Bingo, we have the clear piece that we have connected at our drain line to the sewer hose. It does show full when draining. I'd insist my dealer take a look at it if things weren't draining properly.
Tammy
Icehouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 02:50 PM   #6
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
One problem that some have reported is that when one of the "Old World Craftsmen" drills out the hole, with a hole saw, to connect pipes going into the tank, the plastic disk that should be discarded has ended up in the tank. If this happens, the disk will eventually find its way to the outlet end of the tank and will restrict flow out of the tank.

All tanks should have a "rush" of fluid to the drain outlet; part of this rush creates a venturi effect which helps to remove sewage from your black tank.

Your black and gray (shower tank) connect with a Y fitting to the drain pipe. Since both are slow, I would suspect a restriction after the Y. This leads me to think that a small (1 1/2 inch disk) may have dropped into one tank and exited the 3" valve and then got hung up on the ridge where the Y glues to the straight pipe. Just a hunch, but worth looking into. I guess one way to check would be to put a small video camera in a plastic zip lock bag and by securely attaching to a flexible spring rod, you could push it up the drain pipe and then check? Just an idea.

And, welcome to the forum!
snfexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 02:55 PM   #7
grooving grandpa
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8250
I have a 2005 2955RL and have had no problem with the head pressure. I also make sure I drain before hitching up. But some pressure on the dealer.
grooving grandpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 03:11 PM   #8
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
I have a 2008 (mfg May 2007) 3400RL and like Bingo, I have a clear plastic elbow to monitor the flow. All three tanks, black, gray, and galley flow full when opening the valve.

If you don't have a video camera small enough, try a small plumber's snake and see if you hit any obstructions. Other threads have discussed black, gray, and galley sediment build up near the drain that can restrict flow.

Also,when you look at the handle for the black and gray, make sure the handle can be read without having to turn it. You don't want to be twisting on those handles as you can torque the wire and fray the connecting point. I place soft rags under mine to keep them from rotating when traveling down the road ways.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 03:51 PM   #9
Kandharry
Established Member

M.O.C. #8304
Thanks for the feedback.
The rig's at the dealer now for some warranty issues from our 5 week maiden voyage and as soon as I brought up the drainage issue I heard "quacking". But he did say he'd check with Montana.
The small plumbers snake sounds like a good idea too.
I think I'll work more drop in the outflow pipe too. It looks like it can easily be lowered an inch or so.
Kandharry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 04:24 PM   #10
FLSTS03
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8231
Speaking of video camera and plumbers snake; here is a great product that Ridgid tool makes called a see snake mini, we sell them and you can find them most anywhere that sells rigdid tools. The tool has tons of possibilities for RV'ers.

Steve

http://www.ridgid.com/Tools/SeeSnake-micro/index.htm
FLSTS03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 04:57 PM   #11
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
Steve - Way Cool! I want!
snfexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 05:05 PM   #12
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
I too have a 2955RL and there is lots of pressure when dumping full tanks. The galley does drip for a while after shut off due to the length of pipe and lack of slope. The shower and black tank don't. All of them have enough pressure to pop the sewer hose loose from the sewer drain if you don't get it screwed in well.

I agree with the others, you have a blockage and the dealer needs to find it.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 05:45 PM   #13
DnDatGrdJct
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #7686
We have a 2008 3075 and have the same type of low flow the Kandharry is describing. The same two tanks flow slow but do drain completely. All other units we have had drain in about 1/5 of the time it takes for our present unit. Also find it difficult to see into the blank tank form the toilet. There is about a 30 degree bend in the pipe as it drops from the stool. Has not effect on draining the toilet but sure can't check the water level in the tank.
DnDatGrdJct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 11:32 PM   #14
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
We have great pressure on our drains. All of them. I agree with the others who suggest that you have a blockage of some sort. By the way the tanks themselves are sloped slightly to provide drainage.

HamRad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 09:07 AM   #15
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Just a word of caution if you plan on checking for a blockage yourself-- leave the tank valves CLOSED! The gray water may not be to bad but that black water could get really messy if you have it open and remove the blockage! I'd insist the dealer do the checking and let him get the mess!

Steve- that Ridgid scope is a must for us in the RV's. We could check alot of things with it without actually dropping the whole belly to see things or possible problems! I see everything on the unit but a price! Any idea on that? I checked to see who carries the units and I see Home Depot does and will check there!

Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 01:17 PM   #16
FLSTS03
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8231
Ron, the base unit cost me $180, each additional 3' extention( will work we 30 total feet) cost me another $40( I run a plumbing supply house). That should give you a little bargining power @ HD. My guess it will cost you around $210 for the camera(comes with 3' of cable) then & 50 for the extens. I can't keep them on my shelves. They are inexpensive, as for as inspection camers go, so they are somewhat fragile. I've only had one returned(tried to force it through a toilet trapway) and my customers are plumbers, so i consider that a good track record. Ridgid also make a gas sniffer, go check that out too. Steve
FLSTS03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 02:29 PM   #17
berridge
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6415
We have a 3075 and the tanks drain rapidly. I have a transparent connector section which is full when the flow first starts. I use it to see when the effluent is clear after rinsing the tank. I would insist the dealer checks this out and fixes it as taking out tanks is an expensive and difficult operation.
berridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 03:12 PM   #18
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by bncinwv

That is odd, on our 3400 we don't have any problem at all emptying any of the tanks. I have a clear elbow on the drain-pipe and when emptying any of the three tanks, the elbow flows practically full. I don't know if the drain configurations are different in different units, however. I think the dealer is trying to get out of checking to make sure that the valves are operating correctly. Something doesn't sound right and if it were me I would insist on checking the valves. It is a big job since I believe you have to drop the underbelly to check them.
Bingo
Same as Bingo, I think you have a stopped up line and a poor dealer for telling you that....
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 03:47 PM   #19
Steve and Brenda
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6364
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by snfexpress

All tanks should have a "rush" of fluid to the drain outlet; part of this rush creates a venturi effect which helps to remove sewage from your black tank.
Sorry but gotta call you on that one. To get a Venturi acceleration of fluid you need a tapered restriction in the plumbing and these pipes are straight cylinders. It may create a vacuum since there's a sewage vent installed.

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by FLSTS03

Speaking of video camera and plumbers snake; here is a great product that Ridgid tool makes called a see snake mini, we sell them and you can find them most anywhere that sells rigdid tools. The tool has tons of possibilities for RV'ers.
http://www.ridgid.com/Tools/SeeSnake-micro/index.htm
I have a full color borescope like you describe, use it to inspect areas too small for access or between walls, but the last place I'd snake that fiber optic line is up a black tank drain line.
Steve and Brenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 02:09 AM   #20
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
As an afterthought, of the vent going to the roof is blocked from little critters making a nest, with water in the bowl, you will create a vacuum and the flow will be slow. You can easily check to see if it is a vacuum. Turn off the water to the system, including the internal pump and have someone open the toilet drain when you dump. If there was a vacuum, the toilet being open will relieve that pressure and the flow should go fast. I would then suspect the vent to the roof.

Lots of luck.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote