Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 04-29-2007, 02:02 PM   #1
Cat320
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5751
Synthetic Oil

Found this on another forum...FWIW:

"(name deleted) hit the nail squarely on the head. The company I work for has the largest privately owned fleet of vehicles in the world. You can imagine the amount of money we invest in research and development. Our oil is spec'd at 15w40 Delo or equivalent. It goes in everything from a Dodge Caravan to the largest tandem diesel.

Locally, we maintain over 90 OTR tractors. Our oldest trucks, 1995 and 1996 Mack CH612, currently have 1.4M to 1.7M. Most have never been apart and they still run clean and pull hard. This is with a 30K mile oil drop interval. We use an oil spinner in conjunction with the 2 stock filters.

We DO spec full synthetic for manual tranys and diffs as there is a definate payback in terms of component life.

Synthetic's main advantage is viscosity when cold. If using synthetic oil in your crankcase make's you happy, by all means use it. Just don't expect there to be any financial payback at the end of the tunnel. If there was, we would be using it too!"

Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 05:13 PM   #2
Hemlockusa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4766
Bert, I use the synthetic for a couple of reason, first being the viscosity, second - the money I spend hopefully isn't going to the desert if you get my meaning. Although the folk's that do end up with my few pennies certainly don't need it either. Just my humble TCW..
Hemlockusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 05:41 PM   #3
azstar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #740
Sounds like a contradictory statement. Doesn't use in crankcases but says "there is a definite payback in terms of component life".

Been using it myself for over 15 years, in all my Motorcycles and TV. Have taken the Bikes over 100K mi. (Goldwings) with no apparent wear. Current Royal Star 65K, can't even see any wear on the valve shims. 85K on TV (V10) mostly towing and still sounds like new.

When "Click and Clack" The car guys were asked their opinion they said, if using the Syn. you should expect the rest of the car to fall off the motor before you would need a Engine repair.

I think I'll stay with the Mobil 1

Happy Camping
azstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 06:21 PM   #4
bigmurf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #538
I change the oil once a year, the filter at 5000 mi. and the bypass filter with the oil. I pull a sample at 15000 mi. I have used Amsoil for years now. I like the fact that as a fulltimer we don't have to worry about looking (and paying) for a place I can trust. The filter is no big deal to me as I just crawl under and never spill any.
bigmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 03:42 AM   #5
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Everyone makes their own choice. I've never been convinced about synthetic oils and when Ford put in a new transmission, they recommended regular transmission oil. So, there are pros and cons; some do and some don't. Again, it's all in personal choice.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 02:56 PM   #6
wileecoyote985
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2134
The battle lines are clearly drawn on the Synthetic vs. Dino oil debate.

I've used Mobil 1 in my Goldwing and it seemed to quiet down the occasional clunk these bike are prone to have when shifting from first to second. I've since gone to Rotella Dino in the bike with no noticeable change in tranny noise.

I use Dino Rotella in my Powerstroke because Navistar will not honor their 100,000 mile warranty if you go to extended change intervals. In my mind, that's the only way it would be cost effective to go with synthetic when you're using 15 quarts per oil change.

One more point (OK maybe 2 points). I don't know anyone personally who has had an oil related failure that followed the recommended change intervals. I'm am surprised though that their aren't more failures due to the crappy filters they install at the 10 minute oil change places.
wileecoyote985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 04:31 AM   #7
Okie Guy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6054
I am so glad I found this post. My diesel mechanic friend in Texas told me over the weekend to use synthetic oil. He said it didn't matter which brand because "they are all the same stuff with a different name." I cringed when he said this because I have only used one brand of oil my entire life. I am also a label person when it comes to car/truck/tractor maintenance. He claims that the cheap wal-mart brand and shell rotella are made in the same plant just put in a different bottle for wal-mart. I am still not sure if I can accept this statement.
Thoughts?
Phil
Okie Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 04:33 AM   #8
happy campers
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6523
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Cat320

Found this on another forum...FWIW:

"(name deleted) hit the nail squarely on the head. The company I work for has the largest privately owned fleet of vehicles in the world. You can imagine the amount of money we invest in research and development. Our oil is spec'd at 15w40 Delo or equivalent. It goes in everything from a Dodge Caravan to the largest tandem diesel.

Locally, we maintain over 90 OTR tractors. Our oldest trucks, 1995 and 1996 Mack CH612, currently have 1.4M to 1.7M. Most have never been apart and they still run clean and pull hard. This is with a 30K mile oil drop interval. We use an oil spinner in conjunction with the 2 stock filters.

We DO spec full synthetic for manual tranys and diffs as there is a definate payback in terms of component life.

Synthetic's main advantage is viscosity when cold. If using synthetic oil in your crankcase make's you happy, by all means use it. Just don't expect there to be any financial payback at the end of the tunnel. If there was, we would be using it too!"

The payback from using synthetic oils would probably only be realized if one was to use extended drain intervals as well. Say, if one was able to get an oil change interval doubled. But to safely do that, one would need to get the oil analysed just to make sure it's OK. More cost. To do it right, use synthetic oil, an oil bypass filter, and have a regular oil analysis done. Now, how do you justify that cost for a pickup truck? So my feeling is to use the synthetic just because it's a better oil, change at the factory recommended intervals, and get a warm and fuzzy feeling that your motor will really like it and will last longer. With reputable oil analaysis reports, I think one would be able to prove that the extended change intervals weren't the cause of an engine failure in the case of a warranty coverage dispute. Going after extended drains without taking the extra precautions is inviting possible trouble.
happy campers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 01:33 PM   #9
ggranch
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6588
Just got my '08 Ford gasser. The manual calls for synthetic motor oil and Mercon SP tranny fluid. For the warranty's sake, I think I'll follow the book.
ggranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 02:17 PM   #10
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Ahh - another good debate to warm up to. Interesting the new gassers are calling for synthetic oil!

Not sure I ever put "cluck and duck" into any category of expertise. They seem to do well as entertainers.

bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 05:51 PM   #11
azstar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #740
Here's more fuel for the fire.

A few years ago a Prof. from Cal Poly who happened to be a Biker wrote about His findings in Road Rider Mag. on the subject of how long Oils maintain the Viscosity. He used the big brand names, like Valvoline, Quaker State, Mobil,etc. Most were Dino but one was Dino/Syn blend and one Syn. (Mobil 1). Using his personal ride he did analysis on the oils at 1000 mi intervals. He looked at the Oil structure under high magnification as well as doing the standard analysis. By far the clear winner was the Syn. He then contacted Mobil and was told that his experiments weren't necessary as they (Mobil) already knew what the outcome would be.. Cheeky to say the least.

Working most of my career in Aerospace Eng., in Turbine Engine manufacturing (Jet Engines), one of the more important mile stones came for us when we could use Syn. olis in our engines. When Mobil first introduced the Syn. oils the problem was the oil foamed. Mobils continued efforts led them to formulas that got rid of the foaming, and there was no turning back. This allowed for all sorts of improvments in Engine Design. It gave us the ability to build hotter and faster reving Engines. The Dino oils just couldn't handle it.

After retiring, I drove a School Bus, and was interested to find that the Schools 150 Bus fleet all had Syn. in their crankcases.

Not trying to sway anyones opinion here, just adding a little more data for consideration.

Happy Camping
Old 05-02-2007, 04:55 AM   #12
azstar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #740
bsmeaton,

Wow, dismissing the Magliozzi Bro. (Click n Clack) is a bit harsh, don't you think? Looking at your picture, I think it's a pretty safe bet that they have been at their game longer than you have been alive (maybe a complement here). It's like saying, because "Judge Judy" happens to be entertaining She's not knowledgeable in the Law.

Happy Camping
Old 05-02-2007, 09:40 AM   #13
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Nothing personal Steve - I probably shouldn't have thrown that out. I do enjoy listening to them, as they are funny!

The nick name comes from my wrench turnin days when we all had to sit and listen to some college gal tell us how to fix her car because she heard about it on thier show. Most of the time it was something different entirely. Guess it's probably hard to diagnose through a telephone call.
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 05:23 PM   #14
BigAl52
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4977
If you check into the history of Amsoil you will find that the company owner started the company with the idea from being involved with aircraft. Amsoil has been in the synthetic business longer than anyone. Some of the new Ford engines require an oil so light that dino will not stand up to the test. Synthtics are here to stay and extended drains are coming right along with them. All the new cars have longer drain intervals than before and in my opinion if you change anymore often you are just wasting your money. Al
BigAl52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 05:43 PM   #15
Bob Pasternak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #800
Send a message via ICQ to Bob Pasternak
Back in 1954 I bought a 1951 Ford with that nice flathead V-8 in it. It had 30,000 miles on it and what was labeled a "Wizardized" engine. For you youngsters out there, Western Auto used to rebuild engines and called them Wizardized. I ran that engine 120,000 miles and sold the car 'cause it had a burned exhaust valve in it. The oil I used was the first synthetic oil: Royal Triton. "The Purple Oil" as it was advertised. As for this Cummins, It's Rotella or Delvac as long as I own the truck. This engine is good for 300 to 500,000 miles with reasonable care and feeding.
One thing I noticed on our trip to Copper Canyon and a month in Mexico, the diesel pick-ups are all Cummins. No one buys Duramax or Power Stroke there. I saw one diesel pick-up that wasn't Cummins; It was a 1983 Chevy with that 350 cu. in. conversion they used for a while.
Bob Pasternak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 06:21 PM   #16
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Orv, Ford puts synthetic in the TorqShift.

I run synthetic (Rotella T) in my Ford and change oil at 10k miles. So far it's never even come off the full mark and never needs oil between changes (currently have 83k on the engine). It never came off the full mark with dino oil, either, though.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 06:18 AM   #17
jackel1959
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2471
Steve,
Are you using a standard oil filter? I am just starting to research using synthetic oil in my 02 7.3L and found the posts in this thread interesting and informative. Thanks in advance.
Jack
Old 06-07-2007, 04:03 PM   #18
happy campers
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6523
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by jackel1959

Steve,
Are you using a standard oil filter? I am just starting to research using synthetic oil in my 02 7.3L and found the posts in this thread interesting and informative. Thanks in advance.
Jack
I've been using Mobil Delvac 1, and their Mobil 1 oil filter. No issues to date. I think it's better for the motor given the temperature extremes in Wisconsin.
happy campers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 02:34 AM   #19
Ozzie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1358
Send a message via MSN to Ozzie
Yet another excellent discussion on the 'care and feeding' of our equipment...
As an owner of a new 2007 Duramax/Allison, I am considering doing this as well.
What would be the cost increase per oil change for this?
Are there any other advantages, such as increased viscosity translating into better fuel economy? It's a game of inches, but they do add up.
I do realize it's a truck and a person doesn't necessarily get one for economy, but I want to do all I can.
Ozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 04:23 AM   #20
Mudchief
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4961
Bruce, you will get a lot of different view points on that. I run it because of the extended oil changes they claim. I change my oil ever June or 25k which ever comes first. Been doing that for years with no problem. Had one Ford 7.3 diesel that made it 565K before it laid down and died. However I do change the oil filter ever 10K.
1200 watts of Solar
Mudchief is offline   Reply With Quote