Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Full Timing in your Montana
Click Here to Login

Old 02-21-2007, 04:33 PM   #1
traveltunes
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6877
The new Big Sky .

Does any have one of these? I am looking for people who have one of these units or who have a Montana/Keystone product. Want to know what kind of problems you've had with these kind of units, if any, and how well the manufacturer responded to the problem? The Montana company discontinued this product and is now reintroducing it for 2008. I really like the layout of the unit, but I am just not real familiar with the Keystone manufacturer. Thank you for all of your info.

traveltunes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 04:45 PM   #2
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Welcome to the forum, traveltunes. I haven't heard of anyone who has a new Big Sky yet but there are several interested customers here on the forum, a few who have ordered them already. As you read through the forum, you'll hear of a wide variety of experiences with the Keystone products but the bottom line is that Keystone offers pretty good customer service. I hope the information on the forum is helpful to you.
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 04:55 PM   #3
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Welcome aboard travel tunes!

The new Big Sky just came out, and there are several orders right here on the MOC that will be filled within the next month, but I don't think anyone owns one yet.

The 340RLQ is essentially the same trailer as ours, only a bunch of nicer features and goodies. This is the second Montana we have owned and were very happy with the first one. Our new one is only a month old, and to be honest we haven't used it yet.

In my opinion, you can't go wrong with the Montana line. I have no experience with the other Keystone products.
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 05:50 PM   #4
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Keystone has really stepped up to the plate on many issues that they didn't have to - out of warranty, etc. They bend over backwards time and time again for their customers. We are very pleased.

And I also want to welcome you to the forum!
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 06:20 PM   #5
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
The Montana offers a great value for the dollar. Are they perfect? No, they do have problems. I can attest with first hand experience that Keystone stands behind their product. One needs to remember that RV's bounce, rock and shake as we tow them down the road. There is no perfect RV, it does not matter how much or how little one pays for their coach. Many of us are already on our 2nd or 3rd Montana. One final comment, the Montana has been the number 1 selling RV for the past 6 straight years. That says something about Keystone and their product.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 07:12 PM   #6
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
The statement often made about the Montana is, "More bang for your buck." The Big Sky has only been out of production a little over a year and that was because they introduced the Cambridge. The Cambridge didn't capture the desired market share, so they stopped production and are reintroducing the Big Sky as their top unit.

The good thing for the buyers of the new Big Sky is that it includes many of the upgrades that were introduced in the Cambridge. The Montana line is good quality at a favorable price. The Big Sky is the top of that heap.

My 2003 Big Sky is everything I wanted and has performed better than expected. The 2007 Big Sky has 4 more years of tweaking and should be better all around than any other Montana on the market. If I ever decide to buy another RV, it would probably be a Montana Big Sky.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 06:42 AM   #7
rldriver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2801
My wife and I are one of those that ordered a Big Sky sight unseen because we have the confidence in Keystone and the Montana line. We have a 2980RL that we are trading in on the new unit and have loved every minute we have spent in it. We have had some minor problems but got them fixed to our satisfaction on warranty. We finally did have the chance to view a unit and are still glad that we ordered it.

I talked to the Rep. today and he said that there have only been about 10 units made to date, and all have gone to dealers.

As of now they are only making them in Golden Vista. They will add Aspen Forest and maybe later Twilight Meadow.

The only word of caution when looking at the Big Sky is make sure that your truck can handle the weight.

It is a beautiful rig and is made by a company that I feel stands behind there product.
rldriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 08:37 AM   #8
traveltunes
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6877
Thanks everyone for your info. We have been looking for some time now on upgrading units. We are currently in a 2005 Mountaineer 297RKS. We are new at rv'ing and especially fulltime rv'ing. The one thing we know for certain is, are current unit is way too small! We have looked at every brand out there and I think we have decided on the Big Sky. My dealer is supposed to be getting one Big Sky on the lot this friday, so we can take a look at it then. Thank you for such a warm welcome and I'm sorry about the text being so large.. At least I got everyone's attention LOL..
traveltunes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 10:25 AM   #9
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Traveltunes, I have a 2006 3400RL Montana that I haven't been able to use yet because of the weather. I sure am itching to get going. I do understand that the Big Sky is much heavier than my rig. When I was flying the bush in Western Alaska, my station manager was always reminding us to "check our weights"..

By the way, Alaska is always looking for travelling nurses and it is beautiful up here in the summer......

And last but not least: Welcome to the best dern owners forum on the net.....
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 11:50 AM   #10
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Keystone is outstanding in customer service and standing behind the product.The Montana line is a very good camper. In my opinion no better no worse than others in its price range in terms of Quality, Workmanship, fit and finish. The deciding factor for was floor plan and Dealer ,Keystone customer service
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 03:19 AM   #11
therebnme
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4092
Hi traveltunes We would also like to welcome you to one of the greatest forums around. The MOC family is truly the best. We have an 06 3400RL, received last April, for full-timing. To date, we have only had minor issues. We also find the factory to be fabulous. Unfortunately, we have not found our dealer to be as responsive as we had hoped. This floorplan had everything we wanted, and we love it. We would have to agree that the Montana is one of the best units around, regardless of price. It all comes down to what your needs are.
Best of luck in your decision.
therebnme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 03:48 AM   #12
Garin1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2773
Someone call the police. Richfaa has been kidnapped and replaced with an imposter(he he he)
Garin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 12:08 PM   #13
FulltimeFollies
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5656
We have lived in our 3500rl for a year now, 365 days and nights. We have had two minor problems, quickly and professionally handled with respect by Keystone itself, and by its appliance supplier. That means the most to us.

The one thing that sticks in my mind about Keystone, is if you have a problem with an appliance that is not supplied by Keystone, and you call the maker of said product, when you mention Keystone , it seems the wheels gets grease a lot faster than if it was an SOB (some other brand). I have no idea if this is really true or not, but it sure makes and did make a difference to us. I would recommend Keystone to anyone, anywhere on any Keystone product, stickly based on our home being made by Keystone and the service we have received from them.

As you can tell, or not, we are a very happy owner of a Keystone product!
FulltimeFollies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 05:38 PM   #14
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Garin1

Someone call the police. Richfaa has been kidnapped and replaced with an imposter(he he he)
Stay tunned...
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007, 03:16 PM   #15
rickety
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4855
Rich Mellowing???????.....Naaaaa he's just off his meds.)
rickety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007, 07:19 PM   #16
The Oldguard
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2625
Ya! the next thing he will start kissing the bird?????
The Oldguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 02:01 AM   #17
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
He's not that far off his meds...

What were we talking about anyway?

Oh yeah... We have now been living full time in our 3400 for a little over 7 straight months now. I have seen the new 3485s and I have seen pics of the Big Sky. I am an "oak" decor person from way back. It is lighter and I like the wood grain effect. As I am sitting here in my recliner typing this, I look around and I get this warm fuzzy feeling (yes, I read the "fuzzy" thread a while back) and I wouldn't change a thing on my home (except for the new couch with the air bed - but then again we don't have company either) from what the newer models have in them.

This, of course, is JMO...

*On Edit~ Oops. Forgot... Wife would change out the carpeting... way too light. She wants that "speckled" design.
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 02:39 AM   #18
rickety
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4855
I'm with you dsprik, I too like the lighter oak decor. Had an old mobile home once with the then all the rage dark paneling in it. felt like I was living in a cave. the new darker interior colors aren't that bed, I just want light.
We can hardly wait for the new 3400, winter snows in Goshen and across the US have delayed our delivery, but we have the 3280 now and are happy with it until we get the 3400. My wife wanted the sapphire blue (call it speckled carpet), so thats what we got. I call it old oil stain, but it looks good with the decor.
rickety is offline   Reply With Quote