Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 11-18-2006, 02:35 PM   #1
Dave e Victoria
Montana Master

M.O.C. #635
My name is Dave and I am a horsepower junkie

I know Glenn will not approve but I can't help myself. Hypertech came out with a programmer for the 2006 D/A. I had to buy it to see what it can do. Of course I love it. Empty, Bubba skips away from traffic. It will be awhile before I tow with it but so far it makes me grin. Over 400 horsepower and 800 ft-pds of torque will do that for me -- awesome.
Dave

Dave e Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2006, 03:30 PM   #2
gitrdun
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4075
I also run a hypertech tuner but only tow on no. 1 the others I use to play around. Awesome!!! I just installed a Banks ram air induction system on my D/A. To me it is the best air system I have seen. 39 more h.p. at the rear wheels! Planning to install a intercooler, it will reduce the EGT and still more H.P. Keep on trucking and GET-R-DONE!!!!!!!!!!
gitrdun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2006, 03:37 PM   #3
boat391
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5756
I have not played with a chip for the D/A yet but have looked into it a few times the jury is still out for me on the programers have 2 friends that have them and both have had some big problems with there trucks mostly with there electronics might have happened anyways don't know for sure but it was a mess to deal with so I have shyed away to this point so good luck with yours and I'll keep an open mind on this hope you can share good info on this on till then happy camping oh yea if you truly love horsepower I have a little bit of time behind me playing with nitro motors now thats horsepower at its best lol good luck
boat391 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2006, 06:10 PM   #4
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Dave I'm disappointed in you. Thought you were going to run stock. We've done a lot of research because we had some add ons to the previous TV but have decided to run stock with Brutus. JOHO
Happy trails....................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2006, 08:10 PM   #5
DONnANNIE
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6088
Send a message via AIM to DONnANNIE Send a message via Yahoo to DONnANNIE
Parrothead, I agree with you and I'll stay stock. I have a 2006 Chevy D/A. Without a load, if I need to get around someone, it moves right along. With the 5er, I have ample power to pull uphill.
DONnANNIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2006, 12:52 AM   #6
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
As you can tell Dave already knows my opinion but for the others I feel it is another one of those "If it ain't broke don't fix it" and again I have much better use for the bucks wasted on this junk.
My 05 with only 310 HP has all the guts I need and more to haul my fat butt and my Monty over any terrain. Now taking a 360 HP and increasing it to over 400 HP "in my opinion" is just plain nutz. It has absolutely nothing to do with towing it's all about having more power than the other guy. When I was a teenager and into my 20s I always had to have the fastest car on the block. With a few years added to that I have grown out of trying to have the baddest, fastest, noisiest to having a TV that does what it was "design" for. No more, no less.

And don't get me started on the voiding of your warranty.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2006, 01:45 AM   #7
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Agree with Glenn in most things, but.......have Hypertech....like...will keep. Run good, like much. Don't race.....just like. Uggg!!
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2006, 02:54 AM   #8
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
What ever sets your latch is OK..We are only concerned with being able to tow from point A to point B in a safe and efficient manner.Time and speed are not a consideration. However in my younger days we did have some very loud and very bad rides.Some of our Rv'ing friends that went with the increased HP and Torque have had serious Transmittion problems.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2006, 03:56 AM   #9
Bluegill
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6121
Rock On Dave !!!!
Man after my own heart.

Since this is my first ever Diesel.. I'm a SCARE-DEE Cat to start messing around with it. I wouldnt know what package went where.
So for now, my 6.0 is doing a great job.
Bluegill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2006, 04:56 AM   #10
LonnieB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6150
Send a message via MSN to LonnieB
Transmission trouble??

One '96 F350 PSD Auto Trans. MELTED 3 transmissions.
One '02 F250 PSD Auto Trans. MELTED 1 transmission.

All caused by that cute little thing called a POWER CHIP, installed by the Ford dealer. I wasn't the only one either. Ford, ate alot of transmission work before they wised up and started voiding the trans. warranty, if the vehicle had been chipped.

IMHO, if you want more HP, modify the intake and exaust, but leave the electronics alone.
LonnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2006, 08:11 AM   #11
rickety
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4855
RIGHT ON LONNIE!!!!
rickety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2006, 08:15 AM   #12
Dave e Victoria
Montana Master

M.O.C. #635
One more vote for Allison. I have no experience with a programmer on a Ford. But, I have lots of experience with GM Duramax / Allison. Michigan relatives are GM people so have near a dozen GMC and Chevies in the family ranging from 2003 to 2007. All running Hypermax with zero problems. I previously had a 2003 programmed at level three. It had over 70,000 miles and maybe 30,000 towing. No problem with engine or transmission.
Now, Lonnie, why would it make a difference to the tranny how extra horsepower was derived? Indeed, the electronic method has the ability to prevent stress by monitoring all the parameters collected in the engine and transmission computers. Exhaust and intake mods offer no such ability by themselves.
I sort of knew I was opening a can of worms when I started this thread -- but, isn't it fun?
Old 11-19-2006, 08:49 AM   #13
LonnieB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6150
Send a message via MSN to LonnieB
Yes Dave, it's fun.
I don't know anything about the Hypertech system, or the D/A combination on the chevy's. I do know the Powerchip from a few years ago caused many, many problems with the Fords. The way it was explained to me by the Ford mechanic that got to do so much work on mine was kinda like this....The computer chip increased the horsepower by changing the fuel and timing on the engine. It also changed the shift points on the transmission through the tranny computer. It DID NOT increase any clutch application pressures in the tranny. It also caused the engine and transmission both to run at a higher temperature, leaving little room for effective cooling when pulling a heavy load.
I am no expert on this subject. All I have to go by is past experience, and the words of a Ford mechanic.
LonnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2006, 09:08 AM   #14
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
I agree Dave, I just added the Banks Power Six gun, intake and exhaust to my truck. I think the best improvement was the air intake, then the exhaust. I already had an inter-cooler. Of course the electronics helps.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2006, 11:19 AM   #15
DONnANNIE
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6088
Send a message via AIM to DONnANNIE Send a message via Yahoo to DONnANNIE
Lonnie, that was a very good explanation.

As Glenn said, "If it aint broke, don't fix it."

I'll stick with stock for now.

DONnANNIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2006, 02:15 PM   #16
Dave e Victoria
Montana Master

M.O.C. #635
Hmmm.. Seems to me "if it ain't broke, don't fix it." was buried by the "continuous improvement" theories invented in America but championed by the Japanese. Lonnie is right, the programmers do change the shift points of the tranny. However, The transmission computer itself is continuously changing the shift points to match the way you drive. The computer will adapt over about 50 or 100 miles depending on the driving pattern. Out of the box the program sets up for max performance. But, guys like me do not abuse the truck. I only want the extra getup and go for on ramps , lane changes and the like. To me, it is a safety margin I am willing to pay a couple of bucks for. But, like I said, I am a horsepower junkie. The first airplane I built had almost 50 % more horse power than it was originally designed fo. My new one will have 20% more and would have more if I could find the engine that would fit. Airplanes and trucks are alike in that you have to learn to respect the machine and what it can do -- not to abuse it but to nurture and care for it - and love it when it does what you tell it to do.
Dave

Old 11-19-2006, 02:53 PM   #17
Mac
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4624
I'm a "stock" all the way guy, just don't see the point. Oh well to each his own.

mac
Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2006, 06:01 PM   #18
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Dave,
Congrats on your new modification. Looking forward to your report on how it tows your Cambridge. =) I have been very happy with my truck, cant seem to justify the additional $$$$ to change something that works so well. To each is their own...
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2006, 10:21 PM   #19
virgil47
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3846
Dave,
Come over to the "Dark Side"
virgil47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 02:40 PM   #20
Cat320
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5751
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Glenn and Lorraine

As you can tell Dave already knows my opinion but for the others I feel it is another one of those "If it ain't broke don't fix it" and again I have much better use for the bucks wasted on this junk.
My 05 with only 310 HP has all the guts I need and more to haul my fat butt and my Monty over any terrain. Now taking a 360 HP and increasing it to over 400 HP "in my opinion" is just plain nutz. It has absolutely nothing to do with towing it's all about having more power than the other guy. When I was a teenager and into my 20s I always had to have the fastest car on the block. With a few years added to that I have grown out of trying to have the baddest, fastest, noisiest to having a TV that does what it was "design" for. No more, no less.

And don't get me started on the voiding of your warranty.
A agree with Glenn...if it ain't broke, don't fix it. We just got back from a 2700 mile trip out west. As long as my stock D/A, pulling the Montana across the continental divide, keeps passing 18 wheelers, with power to spare...why change anything?
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote