Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 08-18-2006, 06:12 AM   #1
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Winter covers

Ah - another winter approaching, and once again I start wondering if I should buy a cover for the Montana. It makes sense to cover it to limit the UV affects that have already starting taking it's toll on it (graphics, plastic accessories, etc.). However, I hear nothing but negative comments - such as the covers don't even last through the winter, or the covers actually create more scratches and damage because of wind and moisture than without.

Any experiences out there? good or bad. Are there better covers than others?

2003 2955RL - 5.5KW Gen - great for the lake!
New '06 F350 Stroker towmoter in July - love the new trans shift and integrated brake controller.
'95 SeaRay 200BR named Dam-It - occassional tow buddy

I ain't as good as I once was - but I'm as good once as I always was - Toby Keith

Brad & Dory

bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2006, 06:31 AM   #2
2007dura
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2313
I have an Adco cover from Camping World, used for 2 winters, and 1 summer, and have had no problems at all. Rig is just as clean when I took the cover off as when I put it on. Have had no problems with the roof, scratches, etc. If you decide to get one, make sure and cover all sharp edges on camper, rain gutters, as it will tear cover.

2004 Montana 2955RL
2002 Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison LT
2007dura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2006, 08:38 AM   #3
Cat320
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5751
Been thinking about a cover, but just last week found some covered storage. $75/month, with room enough to put out the slides if needed. Out of the sun/rain/sleet/snow, etc.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2006, 09:24 AM   #4
Wrenchtraveller
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4890
Cat, 75 a month seems like a good deal to keep your Monty in pristine condition. I worry about the west coast weather aging my Monty prematurely so I plan on building a big covered shed for it someday. If I could find good covered storage for 75 a month, that is the way to go.

Don & Donna
Vancouver Island
2005 Ford F350 V10 Lariat CC 4x4 LB SRW 11200 GVWR
2006 Montana 2955RL
click on the little pic to see a big pic
Wrenchtraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2006, 10:49 AM   #5
Cat320
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5751
Wrenchtraveller...I'd prefer my own shed, but can't do it where we live. The normal rate around here is $100/month, with a free month if you pay a year in advance. The company with whom I'm storing just bought out a business and has some huge warehouses (that are secure) they are not using and want to generate some extra revenue. I'd been to see them several times as they wanted $100 a month without any discount. Guess they got tired of seeing me, the last time I was there they said 'how about $900/year'? I told them to get the paperwork out!
Old 08-18-2006, 11:41 AM   #6
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We never covered our campers here in Northern , Ohio.I always noticed that the dealers never covered them in the winter time. In door storage was always to expensive. This winter we decided to store the camper in Arizona.

Rich& Helen N.Ridgeville,Ohio.

F-350SD, Lariat, V-10,4:30 Diff, tow command Long bed, Crew Cab Dually, 06 3400RL
Mor-Ryde Pin Box

richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2006, 01:45 PM   #7
Cat320
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5751
Here on the AR/OK border, the sun is what really does the damage. For years, (with our old TT and still with our boat), I get some of the very thin (1/4" wide) aluminum looking insulation (Lowes or Home Depot) that comes in rolls either 15" or 24" wide. Cut it to size and put it over the windows on the inside. It keeps it a bit cooler, but more important, it will keep the sun from eating the interior. The insulation looks a great deal like the stuff Keystone puts in as floor insulation. Also use tire covers from CW,
Old 08-18-2006, 01:53 PM   #8
Montana_2895
Established Member

M.O.C. #2895
All our equipment gets a real beating from the sun where we live (Lake Berryessa in Napa County, Ca) so we naturally covered the fifth wheel. There are many RVers up here who store their rigs in their driveways and you can definitely see the difference between covered and uncovered (decal fadings seem to be the most prevalent.) We haven't had any scratches in the year and a half of ownership but it did tear a little with the winds so we worked out that issue. I would highly recommend the investment in a good cover. My question: window coverings up or down for storage?

Tommy and Debi
'05 3400RL
'03 Silverado 2500HD 4WD
Lake Berryessa, CA
Montana_2895 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2006, 02:31 PM   #9
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Well as full timers we never store our Monty. It spends 24/7/365 outside and usually where the sun shines. Summering up north and wintering in the "Sunshine" state. Our Monty came off the line on May 8 2003 and for over 3 years it's been exposed to sun, rain, dirt, pollen, road grime, you name it and I don't see any effects on the graphics or paint. Surely no fading. As far as snow and ice, I have yet to see the RV manufacturers or the RV dealers covering their brand new rigs during this type of weather. Clearly if the weather had any bad effects of any sort I do believe the RV manufacturers, the graphics manufacturer, the paint manufacturer, the fiberglas manufacturer, the air conditioner manufacturer and especially the roof manufacturer would be recommending these covers. About the only recommendations for RV covers come from those that manufacture or sell these RV covers and those that feel they are worth not only the money but the time and effort to cover all sharp edges, rain gutters, etc and than trying to get that huge piece of canvas over the rig not to mention taking all that stuff back off and storing it when you are ready to begin using the RV again.

Now that's just my opinion and something worth thinking about.

Glenn
Montana Owners Home Page
RV Related Links

Glenn and Lorraine
M O C - 4 2 0

We are using a 2005 White GMC Sierra SLE 2500HD Extended Cab, Short Bed, 4X4
with the Duramax/Allison Combo and Firestone Ride-Rite air bags
to drag around our 2004 Montana 2955RL 32'
using a PullRite 16K SuperGlide Automatic Sliding Hitch

"We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us!"

You know you are retired when you wake up in the morning with
nothing to do and go to bed at night with it only half done.

BUT, Keep in mind, doing nothing can be a very
tiresome job because you can't stop to rest

Click on the Flags for the Forecast
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2006, 02:54 PM   #10
Emmel
Montana Master

M.O.C. #808
bsmeaton, want to buy one that I will NEVER put on my Montana again!

Steve&Patti 2004 model 3280
2002 Duramax 4x4 crew cab SB
Emmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2006, 03:55 PM   #11
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Mine is an '03 and I'm actually getting fading on the front and rear clip, as well as yellowing on the south side where it is stored.

Steve & Patti,
Is it just too much hassle to put on?

Brad & Dory
Old 08-18-2006, 04:11 PM   #12
Chaser
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2310
Send a message via Yahoo to Chaser
WE would certainly like to hear more opinions, ideas on the subject; in Central Oregon we have snow and ice, and will be considing leaving our RV in Western Oregon Valley area IN THE RAIN instead, so looking at the lessor of two evils, would have to have a shed, but $20-$50 thousound for a complete building is out of the question, and without sides, the wind and snow would just blow through. We've thought about covers as well, so more information would be appreciated.

Chaser
Mike & Evy Orlob
(Sunriver) Oregon
Retired, Rv'ers, Racefans
Chaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2006, 07:10 PM   #13
MAMalody
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5972
I also have an 03, however, I don't seem to have any fading yet. The front cap decal has a few pits from the kamikaze bugs. Did I spell that right?

Mike

F350 7.3L LB SRW
2003 3575RL
MAMalody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2006, 12:37 AM   #14
indy roadrunner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5634
Glenn, I second your opinion as it matches mine. I had a Class A up till this year and had it stored in a parking area and my neighbor next too me at the storage had his "wrapped" and I think it was Adco or something like that and it came loose (his fault for not properly securing) and the wind flapping it made marks on his unit. I seen that with me own eyes - that is not hear-say stuff.

Phill & Gladys
Sometimes me sits and thinks - sometimes me just sits.
06 GMC 2500HD Duramax 4x4
06 Montana 3400RL
Bichon - CEO
indy roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2006, 12:38 AM   #15
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by MAMalody

I also have an 03, however, I don't seem to have any fading yet. The front cap decal has a few pits from the kamikaze bugs. Did I spell that right?
Mike
Did I spell that right? That's right-- T-H-A-T.

I would think anyone that can spell kamikaze correct can surely spell THAT.

Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2006, 05:15 AM   #16
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Evy and Mike, be very careful if you go with a cover. If you get Trailer Life magazine, in the current issue is mention of a problem with chafing on the rig by a cover. I think it was in the Action Line section of the magazine. Might have been in the Tech Topics. Anyhow, this guy had some of the finish rubbed off by a cover. Exact problem I had when I covered my beloved 1963 Chevrolet Impala convertible (red) for a winter when we had a stick home. Made me sick.

See another Montana or Mountaineer on the road? Flash lights twice, it might be one of us!
Steve Reigle (pronounced Regal)
Fulltiming since 3/21/03
'03 3295RK
'05 Ford F250 SD Lariat CC SB 6.0L PSD/TS FX4 4x4

Our RV Travels (now Firefox-compatible)

sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2006, 02:13 AM   #17
uhftx
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2446
Here is some food for thought.

My last TT I had covered with a tarp. I tied it pretty well for one season and one season only. I didn't get any chaffing but the edges of the tarp wore pretty good. I park my campers next to the garage. There are dozens of oak (dirty .. dirty) trees all over the place.

The problem is, this is New England it stays cold for long periods of time.

We had a warm spell which melted most of the snow. I wanted to use the TT at the end of March and the tarp was frozen to the top of the camper and I couldn't go down the road with it like that.

I have a plan for this winter's storage and when I implement it I'll let ya know how it works out.

Chris, Donna and Max(the Lhasa)
2001 F350 Dually Lariat 7.3PSD 4x4 Crewcab Short bed
2003 Montana 3255rl 5th
New Hampshire: Live Free or Die
uhftx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2006, 02:30 AM   #18
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Around here they wrap Boats for the winter in shrink wrap much like the material that is used to moth ball aircraft. I have seen a few campers so wrapped. I am told it works real good but I will bet it is not cheap. Most county or State fairgrounds provide indoor storage for a reasonable price.(so much per foot)

Rich& Helen N.Ridgeville,Ohio.

F-350SD, Lariat, V-10,4:30 Diff, tow command Long bed, Crew Cab Dually, 06 3400RL
Mor-Ryde Pin Box

richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2006, 03:32 AM   #19
Mac
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4624
Brad,

I had actually purchased one last year at CW and before I put it on I started reading a lot of negative comments about them, so I took it back. It seems like rubbing and scratching of the Monty is what I heard most. I just put a coat of wax on it in the fall and spring, I must admit I HATE waxing it but I think it helps. Montana has something he puts on the decals I've been meaning to get but haven't, he'll come along and tell you what it is.

mac

1999 Silverado LS Extended Cab, Prodigy Brake Controller
2006 2955RL
Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 10:42 AM   #20
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Thanks all for the feedback -
Sounds like I'm a little more susceptible to fading in this climate because of the altitude and sun, but it also sounds like wind is going to tear the cover up and scratch the finish anyway. I did notice that the poly type covers at the storage lot were usually shot by year end with pieces laying in the field, and that the cotton type tend to last with some care in ensuring they are tight. I did talk to some folks that shrink wrap the boats. It is expensive and pretty much puts an end to any winter use as you can't re-use it.

Looks like I either get off my duff and wax more than just the end clips, or try a higher end cover and see what happens.

Please feel free to add any additional info if you come across it,
as I have a few months to go.

Brad & Dory