Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 08-17-2006, 06:57 AM   #1
vabluebird
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6155
Leaving your 5th wheel unattended

Maybe I should ask my DH this question. Is there a way to put a lock on the 5th wheel so that if you wanted to leave it for a day in a Wal Mart parking lot, no one else with a 5th wheel hitch could take off with it? Does anyone ever leave the trailer anywhere other than a
campground?

Salle & Samuel
South Central Virginia
2000 Montana 35'
1998 Chev 3500 Diesel

vabluebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 07:28 AM   #2
steves
Montana Master

M.O.C. #185
Yes there are lock for the king pin. Another simple lock is a chain around the king pin with a lock on it. either one would prevent the ability to hook-up the trailer to a 5th wheel hitch. My only concern is leaving the 5th wheel in a Wal-Mart lot. This practice is often frowned upon unless of course you had permission.

Steve & Betty (AKA steves)
2005 3400RL Montana
2006 F350 PSD SRW CC LB 4X4 King Ranch
steves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 08:58 AM   #3
vabluebird
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6155
Steve,
I was only thinking for a day and we always park as far from the front of the store as we can. And yes, I'd ask before unhitching it and leaving for the day. We learned when we went to Texas a few years ago, we can travel pretty cheep staying in WalMart parking lots for three days running, then pull into a campground to dump and take on fresh water.

Salle & Samuel
South Central Virginia
2000 Montana 35'
1998 Chev 3500 Diesel

Old 08-17-2006, 10:06 AM   #4
BirdingRVer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5740
This is an interesting question that I had not thought of before. If you are in transit between campgrounds that are hundreds of miles apart and you come upon a wild life refuge, scenic loop or “old town” part of a major city that you want to explore. Do you drop the 5th wheel somewhere and just leave it? Would you leave on a street, in parking lot, other options? Would you secure the 5th wheel and how? Does this sort of thing occur regularly?
BirdingRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 10:22 AM   #5
mallardjusted
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2334
I use a cable-chain and a lock, routing between one of the wheels and the 5th wheel suspension/leafsprings.

... Semper Paratus ....
Matt, Amy, & Chocolate Labs Sasha & Webby
- 2004 3255RL Montana, 2005 F-350 CC 4X4 PSD
- Advance truck bed folding cover
Washington state.
mallardjusted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 10:42 AM   #6
Dustytuu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2975
We would never leave our 5th wheel anyplace but a campground. It is frowned upon when you leave one at a parking lot or walmart. Even if you got permission from one person, the next person coming in to work, after that person goes home may not know the agreement. And they could have your lock cut off and have a company tow your 5th wheel to an impound lot. Or they could have it loaded on a flat bed tow truck like they move motor homes.

Too risky for us. We care too much for our Monty to leave it unattended, in a parking lot.

Dusty & Don ... Two spoiled schnauzers and a Maine Coon cat. 2500 Dodge Diesel 2003,SLT,
Bedsaver, Doran tire pressure moniter.
2004 Montana 3295. Fireplace,Washer/dryer,2 air conditioners.

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/Dustytuu/
Dustytuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 10:44 AM   #7
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Wal*Mart in my neck of the woods does not allow the "unhooking" or leaving of an rv in their lots. You are welcome to stay over night, but your truck must be attached at all times.

2004 Chevy Silverado LT 2500HD CrewCab Duramax
2004 Montana 3400RL
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 12:45 PM   #8
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Salle & Samuel if you want to get on other RVers SH*& list just unhook your RV at any Wal*Mart, KMart, Truck Stop and leave it for a day and you may find troubles when you return. Unhooking and leaving for a day is totally frowned upon by most RVers that use these same facilities for overnight parking only. It doesn't much matter whether you have permission or not it's something that you just don't do. Plus an unattended RV in the out of the way, far end of some parking lot is an open invitation to any thief especially if he's seen it sitting there for a couple days.

BirdingRVer, if we find such a place we either drag the Monty with us or we find a campground. We have visited many a museum and roadside attraction by using their parking lots. I would not want to leave my Monty unattended on any parking lot, owners permission or not. If I wanted to see whatever the attraction may be I would find a campground, even if it meant driving some distance to find such a campground. This occured just 2 months ago as we were passing by Lake Champlain and Burlington VT. We decided to take in Burlington for a day or 2 and found us a campgroung some 20 miles away.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 01:15 PM   #9
Native Tex
Montana Master

M.O.C. #375
I will have to agree with Glenn in that leaving a unit loose for the day could be a ticket for vandals or something worse. I would rather rent a camping spot for the night, park it there and feel safe. Each to his own choosing.

Native Tex

O.V. & Kathy Bonner
Miss Ko-Ko (Chocolate Lab)
Huntsville, Al
'05, 3400RL
'05 F250 Ford King Ranch, CC, FX4/4x4, 6.0L PSD

"Freedom Isn't Free....Support Our Troops
Native Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 03:42 PM   #10
mallardjusted
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2334
Sounds lke there are two issues, one per the subject line "leaving your fifth wheel unattended" and two, unhooking at walmart.

I wouldn't unhook at walmart, but if I'm unhooked anywhere else I chain and lock it per my above post. Just because one is in a campground there is still a chance someone could hook up to it while you are away (of course depending on the campground and who is providing security).

... Semper Paratus ....
Matt, Amy, & Chocolate Labs Sasha & Webby
- 2004 3255RL Montana, 2005 F-350 CC 4X4 PSD
- Advance truck bed folding cover
Washington state.
mallardjusted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 04:54 PM   #11
vabluebird
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6155
I want to thank all of you for your advise. It was good advise. We have never done it but I've wondered about it. We have always taken it with us or left it in
a campground. Hope others are helped by this thread.

Salle & Samuel
South Central Virginia
2000 Montana 35'
1998 Chev 3500 Diesel

Old 08-17-2006, 06:04 PM   #12
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Good topic Salle & Samuel. This could be a very expensive mistake for the novice camper - and even for some of the veterans... Weird things cross my mind sometimes that seem to me to be a good idea... only to find out that most people are absolutely aghast that it even came into my mind in the first place - let alone got put into practice.

I would probably not have thought about the consequences of doing this, except for the invaluable feedback of this forum.

dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 06:29 PM   #13
RADHAZJOE
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3149
At the painted desert they had a spot to drop your rv.

A few other places also welcomed rv's, checked with security, they would even watch it for you. Black Hills if I remember right. Good idea though to chain up around hitch. Definetly NOT Walmart or any other ordinary parking lot. Several truck stops said ok and some even said they would watch it.

Gin & I(Geminis)
Where ever we go, there we are.
2004 Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
Montana 3400RL
RADHAZJOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 07:04 PM   #14
fulltimedreamer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #919
I have seen 5th wheels, travel trailers, even coaches left parked in all kinds of parking lots - Walmarts, K-Marts, Krogers, churches, community centers, truck stops, etc. As long as you get permission, I don't see it as a big issue. If the area seems secure to you - go for it!!! If something happens, file an insurance claim. That's why I have insurance. Hey, if you're in North Georgia you can park it in my drive way. No home owners association to tell me what I can or can't park here. And so far, no local government parking restrictions.

Lamar & Debbie
Cumming,GA

Our Website
http://www.geocities.com/fulltimedreamer2004

'03 Mountaineer TT 335 RLBS
'03 F250 Crew Cab Lariat 7.3 PSD

"He is no fool who gives up what he cannot keep, to gain what he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot
fulltimedreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2006, 02:05 AM   #15
Gonfishin
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3604
I agree with Lamar and Debbie. IF you have permission and feel safe in doing so, I think it's fine. I don't see how that can directly affect any other Rv'er and I wouldn't worry about being on any SH*& list.
Rick.

2005 Montana 3670
2005 Chevy 2500HD D/A
Pullrite SuperGlide
Prodigy/Intella-Stop
Doran Pressure Pro
Ride Rite air bags
In-cab controller

Gonfishin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2006, 05:57 AM   #16
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
The pin locks are available at many rv dealers and, of course, Camping World.

We've left ours for a couple of hours, just once. We were passing by Capitol Reef NP in Utah and decided to do a quick driving tour of the park. There are areas in that park where trailers are prohibited. We got permission from the ranger to drop ours in a somewhat remote parking lot. We did not have a lock for the pin and I was a bit worried the entire time we were gone. But it was still there an d untouched when we returned. One of these days I'll invest in a pin lock just to have it around for that kind of situation.

See another Montana or Mountaineer on the road? Flash lights twice, it might be one of us!
Steve Reigle (pronounced Regal)
Fulltiming since 3/21/03
'03 3295RK
'05 Ford F250 SD Lariat CC SB 6.0L PSD/TS FX4 4x4

Our RV Travels (now Firefox-compatible)

sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2006, 06:01 AM   #17
vabluebird
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6155
OK,
This Boon-docking term is new to me. When you are boon-docking, do you stay with the Monty at all times. This is why I brought this up.
I do agree, the best place is a campground. I guess what you're all saying is if you want to see something, go to a campground, set up our rig, and then go sightsee.

Salle & Samuel
South Central Virginia
2000 Montana 35'
1998 Chev 3500 Diesel

Old 08-18-2006, 03:17 PM   #18
TheCoachPotatoes
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3847
Boon-docking means you are without hook-ups. Some State and Federal lands offer camping without any hook-ups. It just means you are self contained and use your own power and water. In a sense you are boon-docking when at a Wal-Mart, but you are not really camping there because you are only staying overnight, or maybe just long enough to get some rest and then you move on. It is not intended for a place to leave and go siteseeing, or to stay any longer.
TheCoachPotatoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2006, 06:01 PM   #19
mobilrvn
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2056
The nice thing about leaving it at a Wal-Mart is that the thief can go into Wal-Mart, buy a set of bolt-cutters, cut your lock, return the bolt-cutter for a refund, then hookup you 5W and go!

MoBillTuxRex&Princess
Fulltiming since '93
'04 3575; '06 2500HD Duramax/Allison
mobilrvn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2006, 05:29 AM   #20
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I would think the key to leaving the rig unhitched and unattended is to get approval from the management. If they'll approve it, then it's ok. If they won't, then don't. Also, I'd write down the name of the person giving the approval in case it is questioned by someone on a later shift.

Hopefully someone would see the activity of using bolt cutters to remove a lock on a FW as being a bit suspicious and report it. But these days, who knows. Shoot, the same thing could happen to your FW sitting in a storage yard or even in your own driveway while you're sound asleep or out to dinner. Can't worry about everything or life would just be no fun at all.

See another Montana or Mountaineer on the road? Flash lights twice, it might be one of us!
Steve Reigle (pronounced Regal)
Fulltiming since 3/21/03
'03 3295RK
'05 Ford F250 SD Lariat CC SB 6.0L PSD/TS FX4 4x4

Our RV Travels (now Firefox-compatible)

sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote