Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 01-09-2006, 03:59 AM   #1
Clyde n Deb
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3477
Potential DuraMax Warranty Issue?

If it's been covered before, slap me and I'll go look for it, but...........I am about to put a 4" performance exhaust on my 2004.5 DM GMC 2500HD. Cat back only, no down pipe. No intake mods, no program mods. Totally stock except for the cat back exhaust. My question is: Has anyone had discussion with dealers or encountered warranty issues with this mod only?

Clyde n Deb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 05:20 AM   #2
cmp-shooter
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3928

NO-
I did the same except did it from turbo back, dealer says it was no warrenty issue.
the only thing I have to be careful of is getting a inspection sticker [mass]and hopeing they don't look underneath for a[missing] cat- converter

the 4" did make a difference in power-noticeable, seemed to get to higher speeds easier.
cmp-shooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 06:53 AM   #3
Sweetfire
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4483
I did mine from the turbo back but kept the cat. Ford dealer said no problem,
Sweetfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 07:34 AM   #4
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Seems to depend on what dealership you talk to. Some dealers say yes it will void warranty, and others say no problem. I have found the folks at Chevy's customer service are more than helpful. If they do not have the answer, they know who to talk to within GM to get you an answer. Try the 800 number and see what they say.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2006, 05:26 PM   #5
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Mpl897, do you have any feel for how much of the improvement is due to the larger exhaust and how much to removing the cat? I know removing the cat can make a good difference so am wondering how much more the larger exhaust adds. I suppose there's no real way to figure that in the real world without expensive equipment so I'm just fishing for any thoughts you or anyone else has on that.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2006, 08:21 PM   #6
Sweetfire
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4483
I have changed the exhaust on my 2005 F350. I went with a 3 ½ inch down tube from the turbo to the cat and a 4 inch tube and a less restrictive muffler back to a 5 inch end pipe. After checking with several different sources, including the shop that did my exhaust modifications, the consensus was that on the 6 liter PSD some backpressure was required to get the turbo to spool up correctly. The shop that did the work for me cautioned me not to remove the cat stating the fate of another 6 liter PSD owner in our area that found it necessary to purchase and re-install a new cat after he gutted the original when putting a larger exhaust system on his truck.

Now do I think I got my moneys worth by doing this? To be honest I’m not sure. I think I went about this change back-ass-wards. I think the first change I should have made was the pyrometer. This would have told me what I was dealing with stock. Then I would have had a base line to work from with the exhaust. I really think the pyrometer is important and I just don’t get why any of the big three don’t include them with all their turbo diesels.

I have noticed less turbo noise (whine) and acceleration is smoother but do I think things changed all that much? No I don’t. I was looking for lower EGT’s but I don’t know what I had to start with so it’s anyone’s guess if it improved.
Sweetfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2006, 11:04 PM   #7
cmp-shooter
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3928
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by sreigle

Mpl897, do you have any feel for how much of the improvement is due to the larger exhaust and how much to removing the cat? I know removing the cat can make a good difference so am wondering how much more the larger exhaust adds. I suppose there's no real way to figure that in the real world without expensive equipment so I'm just fishing for any thoughts you or anyone else has on that.
================================================== ==================
Well was a little improvement, after it was done [a while ago], now used to it.worth the $600.00 it cost to have it done, engine runs good and alittle cooler.......sounds better too
Old 01-12-2006, 01:56 AM   #8
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
There is a sticker under the hood of MY 05F350 Ford , right hand side titled " Modification" That says that if the installation of ANY non Ford part causes that failure of ANY Ford part the warranty will be voided..Unless tne part meets the criteria listed under the Clean air act, sec 207 cfr 85.2112 85.2122. Why do you suppose that notification is there?????
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 01:56 AM   #9
tweir
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #572
The only time a modified cat-back exhaust system can nullify a warranty is if the exhaust system change DIRECTLY has an adverse effect on engine driveability. Actually the service manager @ my local dealership wonders why the engineers did not go with a larger diameter exhaust system from the factory in the first place...!
tweir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 02:13 AM   #10
cmp-shooter
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3928
GMC is selling a 4" exaust from the cat back as a option.this come from a gmc dealer friend of mine. I will try to get price and part # in next day or 2.
Old 01-12-2006, 03:03 AM   #11
Clyde n Deb
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3477
Well, I'm going ahead with my cat-back 4" on the DM. I had already purchased it, and was just looking for last minute support. I have since talked to a couple of different dealer service managers who say "go for it". They said the only warranty I will be voiding is the exhaust system itself, which is logical since 70% of it will now be gone. In Colorado, I can't remove the cat as we have e-testing. Removing the cat has also been known to cause the truck to set codes on many applications. They said it will help my cooling, which is what I want, and the sound. From my readings and tips I have gleaned from websites and manufacturer's notes, a 4" is all you should put on if you're not re-programming in anyway. If you are, only then should you go to a 5" system. Then of course, you are defenitely getting into voided warranty territory. An interesting forum for DuraMax owners is http://dieselplace.com/forum/
I know the Power Strokers have a similiar site; lots of good info and input from people who have "been there, done that".
Clyde n Deb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 04:00 AM   #12
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Well, I am not a Philadelphia Lawyer but we have a very good friend who is a Philadelphia Lawyer ( a lawyer in Philadelphia) and he says that sticker means exactly what it says ..and ..If I should choose to make any "non Ford Part" modification to the Truck he will be happy to represent me, probono, and test it in court.. It is good to have a old buddy who is a Lawyer. I think???
Old 01-12-2006, 07:48 AM   #13
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Before I had the Banks Power Pack installed on my F-250, I checked on whether or not my warranty would be voided. Various dealers gave me various opinions, none that were definitive. I went to Banks and talked to their engineers and was given letters from all the Big 3 automakers that said installing any Banks system on my vehicle would NOT void my warranty. I assume it's because of Banks' reputation, I don't know.
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 10:33 AM   #14
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
[quote]Originally posted by ols1932

Before I had the Banks Power Pack installed on my F-250, I checked on whether or not my warranty would be voided. Various dealers gave me various opinions, none that were definitive. I went to Banks and talked to their engineers and was given letters from all the Big 3 automakers that said installing any Banks system on my vehicle would NOT void my warranty. I assume it's because of Banks' reputation, I don't know.

/quote]
Thats the kind of documentation I would require before I did anything.
Old 01-12-2006, 10:41 AM   #15
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Clyde n Deb,
Let us know how your upgraded exhaust comes out. I am curious how your truck will run and sound after install is complete.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 11:29 AM   #16
Broome101
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1832
Don't have Chevy but on my F350 05' I see no need for larger exhaust system. My pyro temp stay low, I did install a BD x monitor on my unit to watch both trans temp and pyro temp. No issues with either and I am full stock.
On my 01 F250 I did have 4" exhaust install did not make much difference other than made it even louder, wished I had not done it after the fact. What I will not do again is install a Superchip or anything of that nature. After installing Superchip I burned up two transmissions tOOOOOOO much torque for the Ford r100r transmissions. On 01 I could see temps up to 220 plus, that's even with extra transmission cooler and trans filter kit. Even after spending all this money to try and keep it cool it would still run hot ever know and then. After trading up to the 2005 F350 I have had no issues. I can tow in tow haul mode maintain 70-75 mph on interstate and stay below 150 degrees, pulling 8% grade in NC Blackmoutain still below 160 stock, so I see no need in any after markets.
Broome101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2006, 03:43 PM   #17
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Broome, where is the probe for the tranny gauge on your '05 and on the '01? Probe location makes a big difference in the readins so need to know that to compare to mine. Thanks.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2006, 05:50 AM   #18
Broome101
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1832
Steve both were installed by a dealer into the computer somewhere. they said the transmission had temp probes and all the did was tap into there existing wires. On my 05 it measures about the same as the truck gauge does pulling about 160 the most I have seen it, around town empty about 140. The 01' did not have any factory gauge at all just what I added. Some folks tell me the issue with the 01' I had was I should have been pulling with OD off all the time. Well if that's the case why would they not put that in the owners manual. I do tow all the time with the 05' with it in tow haul mod, use it sometimes empty if in mountains coming down long grade works great. But each time I had tranny issues it was also with Superchip installed, never use one again. I had it installed each time in what they call the tow safe mode, but still had issues.
Broome101 is offline   Reply With Quote