Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 12-24-2005, 05:20 AM   #41
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Sue what GM cab style is that with only 10" difference between SB and LB?

dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2005, 05:28 AM   #42
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
I guess I should ask... Has anyone ever leased a tv? I know Richfaa has. Anyone else?
Old 12-24-2005, 08:05 AM   #43
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Dave~
The difference in the short bed and long bed on the GM is 18.9 inches. Long bed is 97.6" and the short bed is 78.7", but Sue is right it does make all the difference in the world. And the larger fuel tank is a HUGE plus.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2005, 05:25 PM   #44
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
We leased a new 1991 Ford Explorer and a 2000 Honda CRV. I was satisfied with the lease.

One thing is to read the contract VERY carefully if you plan to tow with the leased vehicle. When we got the Explorer I found the fine print said no towing. I was towing a boat at the time so called the lease company. They told me it was ok to tow up to some weight I now have forgotten. I asked for, and received, that information in writing. I'd highly recommend checking on this before signing. Also check to see if they'd allow a fifthwheel hitch since it means drilling the bed and frame.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2005, 05:35 PM   #45
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Thanks, Steve. I will check on those issues. I did think of the hitch issue after I left the dealership, but I will also check on any "towing" provision.

What kind of mileage did you experience with your lease vehicle, Steve, and are there any little "tips and tricks" for leasing a tv that you discovered?
Old 12-30-2005, 02:13 AM   #46
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Dave,Steve.S has a good point about installing the fifth wheel hitch. I was towing a TT with the Tv that we leased so that issue did not come into play. However as I PM'ed when we leased the Tv we knew we were going to buy it at the end of the lease.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2005, 05:26 AM   #47
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Dave
I agree with Steve. I just looked at one of our old leases and it says No Towing and no modifications which I think would include the hitch and brake controller also.
Happy trails......................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2005, 10:25 AM   #48
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
I can see why they would exception this in a lease. Unless some stipulations and additional insurance were added possibly. I'll run it by my friend next week.
Old 01-06-2006, 06:41 PM   #49
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Dave, I do not recall the mileage on the Explorer. The boat, on trailer, weighed 3800 lbs. The Explorer had the 4.0L V6. I was into fishing and not much worried about mileage back in those days (circa 1991).

The only tip I know of about leasing is to realize you can negotiate for the best deal even though you plan to lease. Leasing is just how you finance it. Too many people see the lower payment and fail to negotiate for a better price, which in turn can give you an even better payment.

One more, be absolutely sure they give you gap coverage. If you total the vehicle while it is worth less than the lease buyout you will pay the difference. Gap insurance pays that for you. It should come as part of the lease but sometimes you have to ask for it. Make sure it's in the contract. You should not have to pay extra for it.

There is a rate they use to figure the lease. I cannot remember it's name but it will be a decimal figure. THAT number is negotiable, just as is the interest rate on a normal loan. They may not come down on that number but it can't hurt to ask.

Good luck. I hope it works out for you.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006, 11:09 PM   #50
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Thanks, Steve. I didn't even think about negotiating a lease, but that does make sense. I know Gap ins was mentioned by my friend as something they had in every lease.
Old 01-07-2006, 05:15 PM   #51
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Dave..took a look at the lease on my 04 Honda Civic. The sticker price was 16,160. My buy price was 14,180 and I had a trade in of 5300.00 so i leased a 8,880 Honda Civic.As Steve R said the buy process is the same execpt at the end of the deal you are leasing.Gap insurance is a must..Honda American and My insurance company insist on it.It is not expensive.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2006, 06:55 PM   #52
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Thanks for the info, Rich. Very helpful before I go see my friend again.