Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 08-05-2005, 03:49 PM   #1
cs413
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3354
Tire Pressures

I have a question. This is my first dually and the recommended tire pressures don't make sense to me. On my 99 Chevy (single rear wheel) the recommended pressure was 50 psi front and 80 rear. That's a pretty wide gap so I would run 60 and 75 when towing. Now on my new F350 the front recommended pressure is 75 and the rear is 60. These were the pressures on the factory labels on the truck door. Kinda the opposite. Is the lower pressure because of the dual tires in the rear? I checked pressures the other day and all were at 50 psi from the dealer which I assume came from the factory that way. The manual says to go by the manufacturers recommendations and not the rating on the tires which is 80 psi max. (never saw a minimum pressure) That's a lot of air even though they are 17" tires. What do some of you run for tire pressures - especially on the duallys.

cs413 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2005, 02:39 PM   #2
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Curt, ours is single rear wheel but wanted to comment I would guess the higher pressure in the front is because of the weight of the diesel and the lower in the rears is because each tire is supporting half the weight (roughly) that the single rear wheel truck rear tires. Ours has 17 inch wheels also. The recommended pressure is 75 all around. Towing I run 65 front and 80 rear. Same when not towing unless in an area with rough roads. Then I run 65 all around. Tires are wearing very nicely, flat across the tread, with almost 29k miles on them.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote