Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 10-01-2005, 12:50 PM   #1
315RLS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1900
Scouting and finding accessible gas stations

I'd be interested in others experiences and thoughts on finding gas stations that are accessible to large TT/5th Whls. Unless I'm doing local trips that allow me to fill up prior/after or on highways that have on highway service stop; I always find it a challenge to find stations we can pull in and fill at. A lot of the stations are built so that there is just enough space for cars/small trucks. On a trip to up state NY last month we had to drop our trailer in a parking lot, fillup and then pickup the trailer. We do carry 8 gallons of gas to run our generators which will always help out in a pinch. Any thoughts from others on planning/dealing with getting gas on the less beaten paths would be apprecaited.

315RLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2005, 01:06 PM   #2
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Truck stops!

So far, we have been lucky I guess, as we have always found a place to pull big ole Montana in. Try to look on the outskirts of towns, I prefer to look on the way INTO a town, rather than wait till we go OUT of a town, only cause it gives us twice the chances of finding a station.

Can remember one time when we were going north on 35, due north of Austin Texas. They have a lot of service roads, we did not have Exit Authority or a GPS on board. We kept seeing the stations AFTER the exits. We were getting a bit low on the ole fuel meter, so Al said, we are pulling off at the next exit no matter what! We will find fuel somehow, somewhere. Now, usually he is very cautious, conservative and tries to be considerate as to where we pull in. Don't block the traffic flow etc. Well, this time he was feeling a bit of pressure, so, he pulled off, down a street that ran 90 degrees to the xpressway, saw a station on his right, pulled a right and another right, and another right, and into the station and up to the pump. He was not blocking too much! HAHA. I was stunned, he really whipped that Montana around in that parking lot! But the deed was done, fueled up, pulled right out into all that traffic, eased on out and everyone let us! HA HA, maybe they could read his thoughts and figured they better let him out and get him back on 35 north! Ahhhhh, memories!
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2005, 02:04 PM   #3
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
We always try to find a truck stop. The book Next Exit does help us. We use Diesel and some of the stations have the diesel pumps is a spot that blocks everyone else when you are there so guess what. We block them. We figure at the money we are spending we should at least be able to get in and out. We had a bad one today at Flying J in Wyoming. They did not have an aisle for RV's like most of them do so we had to take up three pumps.
adelmoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2005, 02:37 PM   #4
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We stick to Truck stops.Will fuel often rather than run low on fuel.With the TT and the F-350 we are 54 feet long so we take up some room.Although the 3670 Montana is longer than the TT our overall length will be about the same due to it being a fifth wheel.I know that when I fuel the 40 foot school bus at a 'regular station" the diesel pump is usually at the end and I will block 3 or 4 pumps while I fuel.Folks never say anything tho because you are a school bus.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2005, 03:02 PM   #5
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
I fuel where I have to and it ain't always a truck stop. I've fueled at Mom and Pop groceries or the convenience type store. Where ever they sell diesel is an open invitation for me to fuel up and if I have to I'll block all the pumps. After all how many times have you pulled in for fuel and the fool parked at the pump is inside eating his lunch with total disregard for anyone waiting. I feel this is just my way of paying back.
As far as accessing the pumps, maybe it's from years of truck driving, but I am not intimidated with what appears to be a tight squeese. Consider that most all fuel stations are refueled by tractor trailers and many also have their groceries delivered by tractor trailers. If they can get in and out so can you.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2005, 07:26 PM   #6
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
I always stay to the major truck stops. When I am on the road with or without the coach I keep a fuel journal with the places that are good to stop. If I have to block someone because of the lack of space oh well, like Glenn I figure it is payback. =)
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2005, 08:03 PM   #7
patodonn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #331
We always start the travel day with a full tank, and almost never drive more than one tank's worth in a day. After we unhitch, either that afternoon or early the next AM, we fill up in the "local" area before hitching up again.

If we are on a major highway, we usually gas up at a truck stop at about the 1/2 way point. We seldom get below 1/2 tank, and the bladder level usually trumps the fuel level in importance. I have only had one "getting really nervous" fuel situation in over 2 years full timing, and I did that one to myself...just pushing too hard that day, and I KNEW IT.
patodonn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2005, 02:38 AM   #8
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
patodonn,

Your way is great, wish we could pull that off on the way to Texas midwinter! HA HA.

When we get going to Texas (or Florida, or Georgia, or Alabama) we drive VERY long days, fuel when we run low, run more, fuel more. Last year GMC was never seperated from Montana in over 6 days! We even sat at one place for 2 nights, Al was really sick, and Montana and GMC stayed married, we had food, we had water, we had heat, we had cable TV!, we stayed in Montana and rested. In fact, we seldom unhook, UNLESS we are staying someplace for more than 2 days.

I love hearing the different ways MOC members travel!
Old 10-02-2005, 04:39 AM   #9
Fordzilla
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2819
Send a message via MSN to Fordzilla
We stick to truck stops as well. Never know if the mom and pop stores go thru enough diesel to keep it fresh. And as a truck driving friend of mine once told me, you will know if a truck stop sells bad fuel. The truckers will talk about it and it will be vacant. We like to use a CB and frequently will ask the truckers where the cheapest and best fuel is in the area. Most are polite and will help you.
Fordzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2005, 11:52 AM   #10
Gypsy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #111
I've been in a few tight places, especially in the "Mom & Pop" stations in small towns. Once, I had to back out. Another time, I had to flirt with the 7-up truck drivers to get them to move out of my way so I could turn right and go down a back alley because a left turn would have taken out a pump and the side of my Monty. One of the drivers offered to ride with me down the road in exchange for the favor! (Maybe I should have taken the offer - he was pretty easy on the eyes .) Even some of the Flying J's RV lanes are a little tight to get in and out of, and sometimes there's a long line waiting. In that case, I go in the truck lanes and hold the fat filler "gun" (what *is* that thingy called?) carefully so diesel doesn't splash on the truck. It goes fast, so you don't have to hang onto it for long. Sometimes there's a small nozzle (is that what it's called?) in the truck lane, but you have to have sharp eyes to spot it.

I consider all this just another challenge and adventure of the RV lifestyle. And sometimes, like I did today, you run into friends in the Flying J RV lanes!
Gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2005, 11:56 AM   #11
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
On the Natchez Trace there are few gas stations, period. We stopped at one, but the overhang was VERY low, I was driving, Al had me pull in at an angle, and then back out. No damage to the station or to GMC or Montana. Ya do what ya gotta do!
Old 10-02-2005, 01:27 PM   #12
steves
Montana Master

M.O.C. #185
I usually try to use the major truck stops (Flying J, etc.). If I have to fill up at a local station then I try to find a place that can accommodate me and I try to be as considerate as possible in not blocking all the other pumps. Often I will move the rig after fueling and then go in and pay.
steves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2005, 08:38 PM   #13
patodonn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #331
Al and Carol: If traveling long distances in limited time, we do stayon the Interstates, and make the fuel stops at truck stops, almost never more letting the fuel level get below 1/3 tank. In general we always stay a minimum of two nights at each stop enroute, and try never to be in a time "crunch". That is the advantage of the full time mode. I can certainly understand fleeing "yukkey" weather for the warm climes of somewhere South, and the "gotta get home TOMORROW" on the return. I would probably push too.

Best,
Old 10-03-2005, 02:17 AM   #14
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
patodonn,

ONLY reason for the gotta get home tomorrow for us is family emergencies. We do RUN LIKE THE WIND to get out of here on the way south winter time. But, we try to come home SLOWLLLY, one year it took 3 weeks to get here. Last year, the last 4 days were manic driving, as we thought Al's mom might leave us, she was mighty sick, she did not, we are happy to report. We really prefer the slow and easy return home, gives the opportunity to see things and visit places we have never been.

Happy trails
Old 10-03-2005, 09:39 AM   #15
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
The Next Exit highlights (i think it's in red) those stations that are "rv friendly." We've found that helpful. When traveling off interstates we use another book, The Truckers Friend (thanks jlboz60!), which shows truck stops all over the country, interstate and non-interstate. I recently saw there is now a similar book titled The RV'ers Friend. I think I saw that at Camping World but large bookstores might have it, too. Or truck stops.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2005, 06:22 PM   #16
Montana_4391
Established Member

M.O.C. #4391
This thread gives me an idea... I am currently working on a page for my website that talks about my hometown and what attractions there are here in Fairbanks and in Alaska. Think I'll put in a section for "easy access fuel stations"!
Montana_4391 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2005, 04:49 AM   #17
patodonn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #331
If we refuel while on the road and hitched, we stick to the major truck stops, and, even then, almost never use the auto side...we go to directly into the truck line. Our 3655FL is a bit taller and longer than many other 5ers, so I just don't want the hassle of maneuvering it around in the more confined spaces of the auto side. My bride can always use time to do a little shopping, and saves me the walk in to get the pump activated.
Old 10-05-2005, 05:26 AM   #18
315RLS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1900
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by adelmoll

We always try to find a truck stop. The book Next Exit does help us.
Thank you for the suggestion of Next Exit. I hadn't heard of this before. Although I'd like to stick to highways with service stations some trips just don't accomidate.
315RLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2005, 04:00 AM   #19
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
In Bryant, AR (between Little Rock and Texarkana) on I-30 you'll find a Super Wal-Mart selling diesel for 2.969 (with shopping card) when everyone else is 3.299 and higher. It's on the north side of I-30.
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote