Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 03-04-2005, 04:32 PM   #1
Tom

M.O.C. #3298
Send a message via AIM to Tom
Pullrite Superglide 16k

I have just purchased a new Mountaineer 319bhs (1st 5'ver) can't wait for delivery. I have an 03 Dodge 4x4 Diesel short bed Ive been told to buy a pullrite slider very pricey installed. Is this a good hitch? can I install myself? Is anyone pulling anything comparable with a Dodge shortbed & a pullrite

Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2005, 04:56 PM   #2
Charlie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3029
Tom-
Welcome to the forum. If you go to:
GENERAL DISCUSSIONS/TOW VEHICLES & TOWING/AUTOMATIC OR MANUAL SLIDER
you can view several of the members thoughts about the slider hitches.
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2005, 02:00 AM   #3
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
First off, Welcome Tom to the MOC Family and congradulations on your new Mountaineer.

Secondly, If you look at my signature you will see my Montana is hooked to my shortbed Chev using a PullRite 16K SuperGlide automatic hitch.
Thirdly, You ask "Is this a good hitch? can I install myself?" In my opinion it is one of the best and if you are mechanically inclined I would see no reason you could not DIY.
Having the absolute peace of mind of never having to remember to get out of the truck and manually pushing or pulling some lever to activate the slide is worth every penny of the difference.
Just forget to pull that manual lever one time and take out the rear window or due damage to either/both the truck and trailer and I promise you will wish you had that automatic slider.

You can contact Pullrite and request their FREE video showing the hitch in action. In the mean time read this PullRite Article in RV Lifestyle.

When you consider the total overall cost of the your rig, your tow vehicle and a manual slider what is an extra 900 bucks.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2005, 09:33 AM   #4
Wordsmith
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3215
I am having the Pullrite 16k Superglide installed on Wednesday. Though I can obviously offer no practical feedback on the actual hitch and how well it works, I was impressed by the video Pullrite sent me as well as testimonials both here and at RV.net. You know, I might never find myself in a situation where my truck cab is at peril, but I already feel more secure knowing I opted to go this way. Does the price bother me?…of course, but like the commercial says, some things--such as peace of mind--are priceless.
Wordsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2005, 11:12 AM   #5
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Welcome aboard, Tom. I don't have the superglide but it's on my wish list. As far as I'm concerned, that's the best you can get. If price is a difficulty, keep in mind many of us have towed with shortbed trucks and manual sliders for many years without problem. Believe me, I am very aware of the possibility of crashing the cab and Montana together. Vicki can attest to the times I've asked her to get out and watch so that I could avoid popping the slider when not really needed. The superglide eliminates the concern. But, as mentioned above, many of us have done just fine with the manual. But I'd still get the superglide if we ever need another hitch. Until then I just can't justify spending the money when I've had no close calls with the manual one. As Glenn said, someday I may change my tune.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2005, 03:00 PM   #6
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Towing the 3400RL with my shortbed Chevy and the Pullrite Superglide 16k... I would not leave home with out it. In my opinion it is worth every penny and then some. Having the piece of mind driving down the highway is worth the money spent two times over. As long as I have a shortbed truck, you can count on it that there will be a Superglide in the back.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2005, 03:27 PM   #7
Montana_2779
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2779
We have the stationary PullRite Super 5th. LOVE the auto-hitch and fully encircling kingpin camlock!! WORTH EVERY PENNY!
Montana_2779 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2005, 03:23 AM   #8
Tom

M.O.C. #3298
Send a message via AIM to Tom
Hi Everyone
Thanks for your responses. With all the positives I have decided to buy the pullrite 16k superglide (and install it myself) what is the camlock?
also where do I Mount the plug. We have been TT for years & are very exited about our 5'ver

Tom,Susan,Tommy,Molly & Oreo the guinea pig that will be camping with us as I understand
2003 Dodge Diesel Quad cab
Prodigy
Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2005, 12:18 PM   #9
Bill Hill
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1344
As you can see from our signature we also have the SuperGlide. Love it and it's worth every single penny! Congratulations on your new rig and have lots of years of adventures with it.
Bill Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2005, 03:28 PM   #10
Montana_2779
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2779
Not sure what PullRite's actual nomenclature is, but the mechanism requires no manual manipulation to lock onto the kingpin. The kingpin trips a simple, spring-loaded mechanical switch as it enters the hitch. 100%, no-questions-asked lockup! As well, the "jaw" almost completely surrounds the kingpin. There would have to be a massive mechanical failure for this thing to let loose of the pin.

We took a look at the marketing video that PullRite offers. The SuperGlide was put through the paces in a variety of forward and reverse turns and worked surprisingly well! Extremely simple mechanical slide mechanism. Kind of a "beauty in simplicity" approach.
Old 03-07-2005, 04:56 AM   #11
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I've not looked real close at the jaws of the superglide but as I've said before I'm very impressed with the superglide overall. That said, how do the jaws of the superglide differ from my reese? My reese also requires no manual intervention to hitch up. It trips the spring loaded mechanis and the jaws wrap around the kingping, locking it in place. I then lock the release handle so it can't be pulled out by some clown in a parking lot.

I'm not suggesting the reese is as good a locking mechanism, I really have no idea about that. I'm interested in how the two differ in that respect, if at all, so had to explain how the reese works. As I've mentioned before, someday I'll have a pullrite superglide. Meanwhile, can someone tell me what the difference is in the pinlocking mechanism?

Thanks.
Old 03-07-2005, 06:11 AM   #12
Charlie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3029
Hitching up with my DrawTite works the same way with no manual intervention as the Reese and the Pull-rite. I just go one step further than Steve on locking the hitch for the same reason. I lock the release handle and I also have a pin lock on one corner of the rails rather than all four pins having the wire snap keepers on the pins. The locks are available at
Wal-Mart......cheap insurance.
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2005, 07:24 AM   #13
Montana_2779
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2779
Good idea on locking the handle, guys! I'm gonna have to take a look and see if there's a good spot to mount a lock on mine! We put a small lock on one of the corners to deter the theft of the hitch, but I hadn't though about the jokers that would mess with the rig just for fun....

From the sounds of the posts above, it looks like my local Reese salesman may have left out just enough info to lose a sale. We made a couple of trips each to the Reese and PullRite dealers. One of the big factors in our decision is that the Reese didn't appear to have the same auto-locking mechanism.

Regardless of which unit someone chooses, it looks like there are a number of good quality candidates on the market!!

Old 03-08-2005, 06:45 AM   #14
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Charlie, I also put a locking pin in one corner after reading a post in this forum. I think NJ Hillbilly's post was the one I read. And, also like him or whoever it was, I put a lock on the large pin the reese uses to allow the head to pivot. For years we did not lock anything other than the handle and never had a problem but why take the risk when the locking pin and the locks are so cheap.

I also have my FW tailgate locked to the truck with a bicycle chain lock. I've heard of those things walking off while you're shopping. They're real quick and easy to remove.
Old 03-09-2005, 11:07 AM   #15
Wordsmith
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3215
Well, I picked up the truck today with the Superglide installed. I must confess that it is a sweet but impressive piece of hardware sitting back there in the bed!

If it lives up to the hype, we should have some years of good service from it.
Old 03-09-2005, 02:46 PM   #16
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Wordsmith, you're gonna love that hitch. If for some reason you don't, I could probably work out a swap of some sort, our Reese manual slider for your superglide. I wouldn't even charge you any difference!

On the road tomorrow and probably MOC-less for up to a few weeks. We hope to have email almost every day, at least once per day, though.
Old 03-09-2005, 02:57 PM   #17
Wordsmith
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3215
Steve, that is awfully magnanimous of you not to charge us any extra on the difference…but I am sure you will forgive me if I am not in too big of a hurry to take you up on that offer! The man from whom we are buying the camper is taking it tomorrow to have the gooseneck attachment removed and have the SuperGlide plate installed and once that is accomplished, I should be able to bring the Montana home, so wish us luck!

Steve, you and Vicki be safe as you travel. I will keep a good thought for you and will drop you an e-mail when we bring the unit to its new home!
Old 03-23-2005, 01:43 PM   #18
WACOT
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #1946
Tom, I just sent a message to someone else about a super slide. I have a Dodge 3500 short bed with a super slide and I wouldn't have anything else. I paid two grand for mine installed and it is worth every penny to me. I don't think its something you would want to try and install yourself, it took the guys at the dealership about four hours to do the job and they have all the right equipment, but then again I don't know your abilities either, but it is a very good hitch. waco tom.
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Tom

I have just purchased a new Mountaineer 319bhs (1st 5'ver) can't wait for delivery. I have an 03 Dodge 4x4 Diesel short bed Ive been told to buy a pullrite slider very pricey installed. Is this a good hitch? can I install myself? Is anyone pulling anything comparable with a Dodge shortbed & a pullrite
WACOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2005, 03:31 PM   #19
chopstyx57
Established Member

M.O.C. #736
I love my Pullrite superglide....never even considered another hitch. Plus when you remove it you have no rails in the truck bed. I believe Pullrite hitches are rated one of the safest hitches on the market. Worth every dime.
chopstyx57 is offline   Reply With Quote