Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > TIRES, Montana Tires
Click Here to Login

Old 05-04-2015, 04:24 AM   #1
DonandBonnie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5906
Adverse tire wear

We just inspected the Big Sky tires after a somewhat circuitous trip north after the winter. The Goodyear G614's are all original with the rig and are 2-1/2 years old. All four showed tread wear that wasn't unusual for tires of that age, however all four are showing greater wear between the inside edge of the tire and the first groove. While the wear appears to be somewhat unusual, three of the four are not a safety problem. The fourth, the left rear was worn to the point that the cords were showing through and is being replaced. The tire dealer thinks the reason might be a bent axle. He doesn't think the axle is cocked on the frame since the opposite side does not show any adverse wear.

Before committing to anything with axle work, we thought that getting some MOC opinion was important. Any opinions for a fix?

DonandBonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 04:42 AM   #2
jcurtis934
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13740
I can agree that it makes sense that the axle isn't skewed unless tire wear was showing on both sides. I think I would also want to know the health of the hardware on the springs to make sure that isn't a factor also...or...I guess one could say that might wear odd due to a bent axle. Certainly should be part of the diagnosis. Just thoughts... john
Old 05-04-2015, 05:13 AM   #3
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
Excessive tire wear on the inside tread is usually an indication that your axles have lost positive camber (top of tire leaning in). Look lengthways at your axles as best you can or put a straight edge under the axle ... the center should be bowed up somewhat. I've had a local trailer repair facility bend axles on two different fivers over the years with good, lasting results ... others have opted for new axles.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 07:42 AM   #4
DonandBonnie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5906
Starting to lean toward work spring hardware. The center spring hanger bracket on the inside adjacent to the bad tire is showing some metal on metal rubbing. No such signs on the bracket adjacent to the other three tires. To the naked eye both axles look identical with an upward bend in both.
DonandBonnie is offline   Reply With Quote