Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 02-09-2014, 02:08 AM   #21
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Phil P

February 8, 2014 12:36 EST

Hi

I just spent 2 hours in the manuals for my 2009 Duramax Silverado 3500 DRW.

All references are in manual 2 of 7 the transfer case control module has 32 parameters. Some of which are axel reference these are referenced all the time the vehicle is moving regardless of what mode you have selected for your 4X4 operation 2W or 4W H or L. The rest cover everything from clutch function to oil temperature (temperature not found in the transfer case section but in the body control module).

Seeing as how it would take days of reading find just how the module uses all of these inputs I haven’t gone much further that coming to the conclusion that if GM says rotate the tires every oil change they defiantly have a good reason for it.

Phil P

Disclaimer:

I only spent 2 hours reading the manuals so there may well be some errors in my understanding but the safe thing to do is follow the manufacturer’s recommendations.

GM's recommendation to rotate the tires with each oil change is to ensure the tires last as long as possible because they will wear different if not rotated. They recommend this for 2 wheel drives as well as 4 wheel drives, so it has nothing to do with 'wind up issues'. It is recommended for all their vehicles, with the exception of those with different size tires front and rear, like some of their sport models (Corvette, for example).

Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 07:01 AM   #22
Phil P
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11206
Hi

Looking at the OP I would say if you are still in warranty or have and extended warranty I would surely recommend following the manufacturers recommendations.

Then unless you can find the engineers that wrote the firmware and designed these electronic drive lines I would suggest that when the repair manual starts talking about monitoring the axels speed regardless of what configuration you have the vehicle in I find it even a little more important to follow the manufacturer’s recommendations.

Phil P
If you get a page not available then remove the "s" after HTTP
Phil P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 01:28 PM   #23
Slufoot733
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9928
Routine tire rotation is a good idea on ANY vehicle, weather 4x4 or 2x4. But as for transfer case damage from worn tires....new to me. Driving a 4 wheel drive vehicle in four wheel drive on dry pavement is difficult at best since any turning of the wheel is rewarded with severe front end bucking as the tires all try to find a happy medium. Soft or slippery surfaces allow sufficient wheel slippage to nullify any bucking. (All wheel drive vehicles have a different drive train and would not be affected the same.) Nobody in their right mind would drive their 4x4 tow vehicle on dry pavement for long distances. If they did the tire wear, along with stress on all drive train components, would definitely be severe.
Slufoot733 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 01:22 PM   #24
Hooker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7915
What's a transfer case?
Hooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 02:40 PM   #25
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Hooker

What's a transfer case?
A mental disability which requires one to peruse rv.net as a medicinal application for MOC threads which can result in head-spinning, gyrational dysfunction syndrome!!
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 11:27 PM   #26
Phil P
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11206
Quote:
quote:[i]
A mental disability which requires one to peruse rv.net as a medicinal application for MOC threads which can result in head-spinning, gyrational dysfunction syndrome!!
Bingo
I like that one Bingo.

Phil P
If you get a page not available then remove the "s" after HTTP
Phil P is offline   Reply With Quote