Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Boon-docking
Click Here to Login

Old 06-16-2013, 04:42 PM   #1
BusyCarol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12641
Locating Places to Boondock

I know many of you have boondocked extensively and I am curious how everyone else locates a spot to stop in? We boondocked before in a variety of places and really enjoy it. I especially like the spots that don't have other people around, are scenic, and NOT close to a road. I am interested in how you find those 'hidden jewels'. Any suggestions? Any books or other websites to peruse?

BusyCarol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 08:01 PM   #2
Rainer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13378
Send a message via MSN to Rainer
Yes there are books, and websites and blogs dedicated to boondocking. All of these will assist you in finding new sites to try.

But another great method is when you're boondocking is to ask some of the other folks boondocking around you. You'll be more than surprised how helpful the other campers are not only with those special locations, as well as essential equipment and philosophies.
Rainer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 05:11 AM   #3
twindman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5651
Not sure what you mean by 'not many other people around'. If you mean no one camping within several hundred feet, I can't help. But if you mean only 30 sites spread out 30-50 feet apart with trees around I CAN help. In the Big Horns of Wyoming, there are many national forest campgrounds. We have stayed several times at Sitting Bull. There is a stream about 150 yds away and a meadow between campground and stream. It spreads out on the way towards the mountain. There have always been deer in the area (sometimes sleeping withing 30 feet of a campsite). Also, one year a flock of sheep (probably 2-400) and some wranglers and dogs on the meadow. The dogs kept a good eye on us when we walked up the trail too!!!
By the way, it is chilly here - elevation around 8000-8400. Other campgrounds on the northern part of the area that are over 9000, I think. One only had 12-15 campsites.

Tom and Gail
2013 Mountaineer 362
2012 Silverado 2500
twindman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 06:00 AM   #4
BusyCarol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12641
Thanks for the input. The 'not many other people around' statement should be clarified. We have boondocked in National Forests were there may be 15 campsites and they are 20-30' away from each other. We have also boondocked at Quartzsite with our fellow MOC members (TOTALLY FUN!). There are usually other people around although they are not generally as close as at an RV Park. However, I would like to learn how to find the secluded places, like the ones you always see in the RV advertisements. The one with the scenic views, near a babbling brook, wildlife everywhere, with no one else for miles around. I don't want to go offroading per se but wouldn't mind a bit of dirt road to get there. The places that aren't marked on a map. The other types of boondocking I am starting to find (i.e. fishing access sites, free campsites, etc). I want the ones where it isn't a campsite. Just a place to go!

Thanks again for all your help with my quest for solitude!

Old 06-17-2013, 08:43 AM   #5
Gkerlin
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12221
So many ways to find those good spots, but as the size of the rig increases, the available real estate decreases. There were many places we went with our 26' Cougar that I couldn't go with this beast but there are still plenty of opportunities for the careful but adventurous.

Dirt roads are always part of the equation. Start easy and you'll be amazed at some of the places that you might end up going.

One of the way I do it.

Get the Gazetter Atlas for the State in Question also the National Forest Maps. They show all the NF Roads and the topography so you can get an idea of what might have promise.

Find a national forest campground in the area as your home base and set up shop.

Start driving the NF roads looking for places. Keeping in mind tree clearance, turning radius and side slope and grade of the road. There are plenty of do able good NF roads out there that lead to nice places.

Each NF is different and you can get the specifics from their websites but generally any where that is at least 1 mi from a developed campground, trailhead, picnic area etc,100' from stream and water sources (don't want to prevent access to the stream by animals, or pollute with camp runoff) and within 150 feet of the roadway (they don't want to driving all over the place) is fair game for you to camp. Again - check the specific NF website. Many have special dispersed camping rules and maps you can download.

I look for places that others might have camped and open fields or wide areas where I can back in and turn around. Walk the fields to make sure they are dry and drivable. The grass could be hiding logs, ditches or rocks.

Once I've scouted out the road and know I've got a couple of places and places to turn around... off we go.

We've gotten some strange looks from people going up some of the roads that we've been on. It's all part of the fun.

You live in Boondocker heaven up there in Big Sky Country. Just start exploring or stop by some ranger stations.
Gkerlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 10:22 AM   #6
BusyCarol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12641
Thanks Greg! Everyone on this forum has been so helpful! I am sure Rainer's idea of talking to other boondockers in our area will be helpful although some of them seem pretty tight lipped about their favorite spots.

I am definitely going to put Tom's ideas in Wyoming on our bucket list! Sounds fantastic.

As for your advice Greg I especially love the point about using a National Forest campground as a base and then exploring. I hadn't thought of that and it makes a lot of sense. Yesterday we went and scoped out the NF campgrounds an hour a way because the last time we stayed there we were in a much shorter trailer. So we found some sites that would easily work and now know what is doable when we reserve or plan a weekend over there. So using that as a jumping off spot makes perfect sense! BTW....Keith is going to be ordering our inverter tonight. We already have the solar panels here at the S&B. We are wanting to get everything installed before we head off to the boonies! THANKS AGAIN to everyone! Keep the information coming!
Old 06-17-2013, 10:59 AM   #7
Flymutt
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12223
We use campgroundreviews.com. They have all sorts of local, state and National parks listed with reviews. Someone also told me that Escapees has boondocking places listed but I have not verified that yet.
Flymutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 11:11 AM   #8
BusyCarol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12641
Thanks Flymutt! I will check into those resources. I have used rvparkreviews for basic campsite information but I never thought to use them for checking into other types of information. Great suggestion! BTW...nice fish in your pic!!!
Old 06-17-2013, 11:42 AM   #9
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
I have Delorme Topo 2013. It shows the national forest, BLM land and all other government land in different colors. In Wyoming and probably all other states you can camp hunt, and fish on any BLM land even when it is surrounded by a ranch. Do a GPS search for the Shirley basin in Wy. It should show an abandoned govt. trailer park that I use. The trailer park is about a mile from the main road with a nice wide road to it. The Shirley Basin is 440,000 acres you can camp on and you can get your camper over almost all of it. It WILL satisfy your need to get away from a lot of people. Another place I like ,love, is Union Pass just north of Dubios Wy. It is 30 40 miles across the Wind River range. You can camp anywhere you find a place to pull off the road. Elevation runs from 8800 to 9300 feet. On top it is rolling open land with numerous natural trout streams and small lakes. There are deer, antelope, elk and other game up there. I think it is the most beautiful place in Wyoming.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 12:19 PM   #10
BusyCarol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12641
Thanks Lynwood! I will have to check it out. I have read on another site that the Delorme Topos are the way to go if you really want to get off the beaten track. Thanks for the suggestions!
Old 06-18-2013, 04:18 AM   #11
Flymutt
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12223
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by BusyCarol

Thanks Flymutt! I will check into those resources. I have used rvparkreviews for basic campsite information but I never thought to use them for checking into other types of information. Great suggestion! BTW...nice fish in your pic!!!
Thanks! Caught on the Bitterroot not too far from you guys.
Flymutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 12:42 PM   #12
jswharton
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10100
Carol, thanks for your postings, I'm leaning a bunch too! I've got delorme too, it will take me some time to get proficient.

I am interested in what solar panels you decided to go with and the roof layout, we do have the same floor plan!
jswharton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 02:38 PM   #13
BusyCarol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12641
Thanks Scott! That is why I love this forum! Everyone shares their info and I end up feeling smarter than I really am!

As for our solar panels we went with Uni-Solar stick on ones. We purchased them off eBay because the company is officially out of business but everyone swears by them. If you look at the picture in GKerlins post on this same thread (page 1) you will see the type that we bought. We haven't installed ours yet so I can show you the layout. We are going to have to put ours in slightly differently than Greg because our roof has a different layout. We will end up with slightly less but pretty close. Husband is working out the plans as we speak. Greg was a HUGE help, as were many other MOC members, on figuring out what we wanted to do. I am thinking we will take pictures along the way. Hubby is an Electrical Engineer so I am sure it will do way more than we need it to!
Old 06-18-2013, 11:56 PM   #14
Janet47
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11006
Hi Carol: we are Escapees, and part of the Boondockers BOF. You can join on line at www.escapees.com. I have a pdf file of all the places to boondock by state that has been accumulated by all of us. We have used it many times. I put it on my kindle and keep it with me in the truck.
Janet47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 04:21 PM   #15
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
BLM and National Forests both allow camping other than in campsites. I would add contacting them for areas you may camp. Usually you must be a certain distance off of the road. We are fortunate and have access to many boon docking areas in Colorado and Wyoming. Many times during the week there are no other campers.
Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 08:20 AM   #16
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
Carol,
You are looking for the vey same places that we seek. We have found so many wonderful places. We do as Greg suggests. We basecamp and then go look, make plans, and mark our maps. We have found that on the west coast states, the Benchmark maps are more accurate than the DeLorme maps as far as logging roads and stream locations, but Benchmark maps are only available for a few states.

Our goal is to be where others are not. We love the sound of the streams, the whisper of the wind in the trees and star filled nights.

We are very protective of our boondocking sites. We've seen several of our favorite places become popular, and then they don't meet our needs, anymore.

simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote