Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 11-10-2004, 07:58 AM   #1
Jeff Heiser
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2088
Mobile Internet

I know some of you have mobile internet (datastorm, motosat or something similar). I am getting ready to take the step but want to know what others are using. I found a unit today through Ground Control which is the basic set up but it costs over 5k to get started, then $89 per month. I know there has to be something cheaper (for the install, the monthly is fine). Direcway folks do not do mobile, you have to do through one of their vendors who does.

I was thinking of trying to go the tripod and dish route but cannot find a place that sells direcway dishes seperatly (not installed) nor the related equipment. I am not interested in going through a cell phone or wirelessly in a campground. We camp remote on our farm and the only thing that will work is satellite interent. So if anyone has information, is an active user of satellite internet i would like to hear from you. Thanks.

Jeff Heiser
Merritt Island Florida

Jeff Heiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2004, 08:20 AM   #2
VanMan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9
Not even interested in satellite phone service like http://www.globalstar.com. 5k + the monthly fee sure sounds like a bunch to me !!
VanMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2004, 10:23 AM   #3
Larry and Sharon
Established Member

M.O.C. #21
Take a look at dustyfoot.com.It is the best I have found.
Larry and Sharon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2004, 12:27 PM   #4
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Jeff Heiser

I know some of you have mobile internet (datastorm, motosat or something similar). I am getting ready to take the step but want to know what others are using. I found a unit today through Ground Control which is the basic set up but it costs over 5k to get started, then $89 per month. I know there has to be something cheaper (for the install, the monthly is fine). Direcway folks do not do mobile, you have to do through one of their vendors who does.

I was thinking of trying to go the tripod and dish route but cannot find a place that sells direcway dishes seperatly (not installed) nor the related equipment. I am not interested in going through a cell phone or wirelessly in a campground. We camp remote on our farm and the only thing that will work is satellite interent. So if anyone has information, is an active user of satellite internet i would like to hear from you. Thanks.

Jeff Heiser
Merritt Island Florida
Jeff, If you get any more info on Direcway let me know. We were about to start looking into satillite when we found we were able to get Road Runner at our current cg so I put Direcway on the back burner until spring.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2004, 02:03 PM   #5
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
I can't really answer your question either. I did once talk to some people who had a Direcway 2-way system. They got it from "someone in Arizona". Maybe your best bet might be to keep your eyes open for someone who has a dish set up, and ask them. I'll keep my eyes open too. I know there were at least three set up at Gulf S.P. last winter when we were there, so they are not all that rare.

I can do the downlink part via my T.V. satellite, but I still need the cell phone for the return path.

As Glenn said, let us know if you find out anything.
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2004, 02:27 PM   #6
fulltimedreamer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #919
Jeff,

I think this may be what you're looking for.

http://www.maxwellsatellite.com

The startup cost and service are quite a bit lower than Motosat.

fulltimedreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2004, 02:50 PM   #7
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by fulltimedreamer

Jeff,

I think this may be what you're looking for.

http://<a href="http://www.maxwellsa...llite.com/</a>
Thanks for the link. Wouldn't be surprised if that is who the people we talked to got theirs from.
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2004, 05:10 PM   #8
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
We have Directway. You have to play a little game with them. They tell you it has to be installed on a pole in the ground. So if you haven't left your stick house yet, have them install it on a pole and then you can take it anywhere you want. We've seen dozens of them in RV parks. It is $600 for the unit and 59.99 per month or you can pay 99.99 per month for so many months. We happen to be in an RV park where we could put a pole in the ground (cost us $100 for the same guy to cement a pole in for us). Since we will be here for at least a year and I need the computer for work, it was a small investment. My employer reimburses me for part of the fee. The service is great and the speed extremely fast, better than my T1 lines at work. I am very pleased with it and we can use it anywhere just like Direct TV.
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2004, 05:31 PM   #9
Northstar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1757
Thamks for the great posts guys. Good info to have. Happyrving....
Northstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2004, 03:35 AM   #10
Jeff Heiser
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2088
OntMont,
Man thanks for the link. http://www.maxwellsatellite.com/ This is exactly what I am looking for. I am pretty sure I am going to go with this. I need to do a little more research but this looks like exactly what I am after. I will keep everyone posted on how things turn out.

Thanks again for all the great info.

Jeff Heiser
Merritt Island Florida
Old 11-11-2004, 03:38 AM   #11
Jeff Heiser
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2088
FullTimeDreamer,
Thanks, you were the one who actually posted the link first. Do you by any chance have this system? I am pretty sure I am going to go down this route. My stick house setup is costing me over $129 a month and is not that fast nor as reliable as what I have heard about Direcway. I will keep everyone posted on what path I take.

Thanks Again.

Jeff Heiser
Merritt Island Florida
Old 11-11-2004, 04:25 AM   #12
BandJ
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #93
I have been using for the past two years my cell phone connected to my Computer.

I have Sprint as my cell phone carrier. They offer a package which connects the cell to my Laptop.

BandJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2004, 04:57 AM   #13
Jeff Heiser
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2088
BandJ,
Thanks but no thanks. Where we camp cell phone service is none existant. I am looking at satellite Internet with VOIP (voice over IP) for phone. That way no matter where I am i have Internet and Phone. I have used my cell for the Internet and it has served me well but not when there are no towers nearby.

Thanks.

Jeff Heiser
Merritt Island Florida
Old 11-11-2004, 08:30 AM   #14
fulltimedreamer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #919
Jeff,

We don't have the system now. It is one I have been looking at as we are hoping to fulltime soon. Here's another one I'm watching as it is supposed to come on-line in early 2005.
http://www.wildblue.com

I'm hopeful that they'll provide a mobile system soon.
fulltimedreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2004, 09:23 AM   #15
Treecounter
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #162
Try this Maxwell Satellite 800-320-6070
AZ (602)320-320-1702
www.MaxwellSatellite.com
Email Glen@MaxwellSatellite.com
They are a Direcway vendor, ad sell portable systems like ours. It is $59. a month and around $1500. To get. WE didn't get ours there but our vendor no longer handles Direcway. Treecounter
Treecounter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2004, 10:06 AM   #16
Jeff Heiser
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2088
Treecounter,
Everyone is telling me the portable tripod setup is had to get the bird on target. Do you have a tripod setup and is it hard to get things lined up and in sync?

Jeff Heiser
Merritt Island Florida
Old 11-14-2004, 09:42 AM   #17
mobilrvn
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2056
We have been using Starband satellite internet for the past few months and are very happy with it. The monthly fee is $49.99. The equipment cost was somewhat high, but included a handy stand based on a surveyor's tripod and a "BirDog" satellite meter for dialing it in. Set up has been very easy. You have to be certified as an installer which consists of taking a couple of tests and I passed easily, so you know that it isn't difficult, but this satisfies some FCC requirements. The company is RV-Sat-Link in Gila Bend, AZ, 520-907-2712. www.2waysatlink.com or ron@ronbrundage.com Customer service has been great.
mobilrvn is offline   Reply With Quote