Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 06-11-2013, 06:21 AM   #21
Irlpguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12935
Update: The Canadian Snowbird Association has contacted Shaw's corporate offices for clarification on this issue, they are currently awaiting a response from Shaw.

Irlpguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 01:47 PM   #22
hookman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6237
If we don't have a US address we might have trouble getting US satellite if we can't get Shaw.
hookman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 06:41 AM   #23
Irlpguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12935
Quote:
quote:
Artfuldodger wrote in another thread:

This same thing occurred with Expressvu(Bell Canada) last year. I believe it is a general change dictated by the CRTC due to pressure from the USA satellite providers and/or the US govt. It has never been legal for Canadian satellites to be broadcasting to the States as they are not licenced to do so, and of of course vice versa.
A large number of folks changed over to Shaw when Bell changed their footprint. Every recent conversation I have had with Shaw they have said they are committed to providing television to the traveling Canadian public.

It is all about money, everyone wants a piece of the pie. What rots my socks is they are not being up front with what is going on and people are still buying systems for their RV's thinking they will have television when they travel to the US in the winter. Shaw is not forthcoming with any facts, that is completely wrong in my opinion.
Old 06-13-2013, 07:14 AM   #24
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Sure its a money thing. Directv is not sold in Canada and And Shaw,etc is not sold in the States. There are mega $$ involved here. No different than the RV thing. Mention that you are in A Rv and DTV will tell you need special wavers, etc. The are protective of their own territory. Both DTV and Shaw will provide service to their respective travelling public as long as it is their prospective countries. If you ask the question of both they will tell you it is illegal. The solution is to not have asked the question but do the homework. We live just across the lake from Canada and have been taking our directv with us on every trip we make and never a issue as long as we could see the birds. The more questions we ask the more restrict ions they will place. Back in the day we could turn our TV antenna and pick up Canada TV. Illegal I am sure. Nobody pressed the point.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 10:46 AM   #25
Irlpguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12935
Quote:
quote:

Richfaa wrote:

Directv is not sold in Canada and And Shaw,etc is not sold in the States
While you may not be able to subscribe to Shaw Direct in the US you most certainly can purchase and have installed the ability to receive it. In fact likely the majority of Canadians have purchased their Satellite systems in the US through Motosat and Wineguard dealers. Although Motosat is no longer in business a new company is selling a similar product and has some ex Motosat employee's on staff. I am told their new controller when released will operate some of the Motosat satellite systems as well.

Quote:
quote:

If you ask the question of both they will tell you it is illegal. The solution is to not have asked the question but do the homework. -

The more questions we ask the more restrict ions they will place
Not sure what you are implying here, but it is in my interest and many other Canadians to know what is going to be happening to the signal from the Shaw satellites with respect to reception in the US.

I don't care about or have any problem with US travelers to our country being able to receive those programs they are accustomed to and wish to watch. But it must be reciprocal both ways.

Richfaa you will be able to receive your satellite signals in Canada to the extent the footprint of that satellite extends, not beyond. I suspect we will also, however Shaw's footprint that now covers as far south as Yuma may not be available to us anymore. That is our concern and what we are looking for answers to. This will have no effect on our American friends, however there are many who are sympathetic to our wish to continue to be able to watch our local news, weather and sports while traveling in the US.

It is also of great importance to those that may be contemplating adding a satellite dish to their RV at this time. If what I have been told is true, then that information should be available to the selling dealers with instructions to inform the buyer, it should also be posted on their website for all to see.
Old 06-13-2013, 12:10 PM   #26
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
I said nothing about purchasing the satellite systems of course you can buy them in Both countries. Directv is NOT sold in Canada. Shaw is NOT sold in the States. I said that as long as we could SEE the birds in Canada or anywhere we can get the signal. The farther North the harder it will be, I gave the example of the elevation setting of Nome Alaska being 2.1 degrees. That is kind of close to the ground and more likely to hit a obstruction. Right now it is not a issue with directv and their foot print is not restricted except for the ability to see the birds. IMO it is but another RV related issue. The vast majority of Shaw nd Direct users have their systems firmly attached to a S&B . The sat companies are not RV oriented .

I see no reason for Canadian sat companies to restrict the signal other than monetary issues. The problem is not with the dish but with the Sat companies restricting the signal...Right.??? or is that wrong... Maybe I do not understand the problem.
Old 06-13-2013, 03:48 PM   #27
Irlpguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12935
My original post was intended to inform Canadian subscribers of Shaw direct to the possibility they will not receive the satellite reception they have enjoyed for some time in the southern US. This affects Canadians only and has "no" effect on American satellite subscribers.

Whether Direct TV can be purchased in Canada or Shaw Direct can be purchased in the US is irrelevant. What is very much relevant is the fact that many Canadians have purchased their mobile Satellite systems in the US and some may be intending to do so in the future unaware they may not have coverage when holidaying in the southern US, my hope was to inform those folks as well.

I hope we will soon get factual information from Shaw Direct that will tell all Canadian subscribers what the current as well as future plans are, with respect to coverage from their satellites.

The debate on issues unrelated to what only affects Canadian Shaw Direct customers, serves no purpose other than cloud the waters. This is about the possible loss to Canadians of satellite TV in the US, nothing more. Let us await some news that is of interest to those affected and keep that as our focus.
Old 06-14-2013, 08:18 AM   #28
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
I have troubler understanding. Again is the problem with the Mobile satellite systems or the service providers..

Are you saying that a Mobile satellite system purchased in the States by a Canadian will not work. Or
Or are you saying that Shaw will not give total coverage on a Mobil satellite system purchased in the states or in Canada.

We have many Canadian snow bird friends and I want to be able to give them the right answer about coverage.

Found this??????

http://www.global-cm.net/SD%20sat%20coverage.html
Old 06-14-2013, 09:03 AM   #29
Irlpguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12935
I thought in several of my posts I was pretty specific about the coverage currently available on Shaw Direct (footprint) and what was reported to me by a Shaw representative as to possible changes.

Here is what I have been told. This is what I as well as the Canadian Snowbird Association are attempting to get the facts on.

1) (known) Canadians receiving Shaw Direct at home in Canada will not be effected by any possible changes to any of Shaw's satellites. They will continue to receive the two older satellites as well as the new HD one. Some updates to old equipment will be needed (new LNB) will be needed to receive the HD satellite.

2) (unknown) I was told by the Shaw representative that the "footprint" on the new HD satellite would not extend into the southern US. Therefore it would not be available to Canadian Travelers.

3) (unknown) I was told by this same representative that the "footprint" on the two older satellites would be adjusted so that they also did not transmit their signal to the US as well, therefore we would basically get no Shaw Direct TV while traveling in the southern US.

It does not matter where you had your Dish installed, here in Canada as I did, or in Quartzite or wherever, if the signal does not reach into an area you cannot get the programming.

Should the signal still extend as it does now, and nothing can be programmed into the receivers software to prevent you from using that signal then we will still get it. I don't have any idea if they can in some way do that through their receivers, but that possibility exists. I do not think the older satellites antenna's will be adjusted. JMHO

Richfaa you are best to only advise your Canadian friends of the possibilities I have put in my original post. Suggest to them they should contact Shaw Direct themselves and also keep an eye on the Canadian Snowbird Association website for updates from them. My last words on my OP were "Only in Canada EH! For further information contact Shaw Direct.

I hope you have no further trouble understanding.

At the end of June we will perhaps have some answers to these questions, perhaps not. In the meantime we must wait and see what develops.

Old 06-14-2013, 10:20 AM   #30
Irlpguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12935
Interesting link Richfaa, I hope the information contained is current and up to date. I would love to be able to say the fellow at Shaw who alerted me to all this was completely incorrect.

Thanks for posting the link.
Old 06-14-2013, 01:25 PM   #31
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
I know the feeling Ed we had the same experience with information from Dexter, Took 7 pages to sort that out.
Old 06-14-2013, 01:59 PM   #32
Irlpguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12935
Well maybe we can let this one rest for a bit Rich, but not let it die. If my persistence with the Product Development person at Dexter results in an official published procedure then we have both done what we set out to do, that would be good for everyone.

I am kind of like a bulldog, there are definitely some on the MOC who do not like my methods, but I expect an answer to my questions, when asked in a respectful manner, and I will hold my new "friend" at Dexter to account.
Old 06-14-2013, 02:09 PM   #33
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
You done as good job on the Dexter issue. I too am a hard head and demand proper answers a holdover from my previous life in Aviation with the Federal Aviation Adm. Incorrect information or a question not asked could mean lives. I am satisfied with the Dexter outcome.
Old 06-15-2013, 02:12 AM   #34
mail2us
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6920
Can Canadian residents/citizens purchase Directv? I was told by a guy from Canada they could not as their address is normally a Canadian address of record??
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by richfaa

In our experience when asked the question Directv does not give a straight answer on " can we receive directv in Canada." Of course Shaw or other Canadian providers do not want you to purchase directv. The truth is that as long as you can "see" the satellite you can receive a signal. The provider of course can restrict the spot beam as we see on the local channels. This is the first I have heard of restricting it to a country but I am sure the technology to do that exist. The proof is of course that we have been several hundreds of miles up into Canada and we have to use the lat and long on Dishpointer.com to get the proper angles but it worked just fine as long as we can see the birds. We have Canadian friends who purchased directv using their snowbird address.I also know they have a bank account in the city of their snowbird address so My guess is that is how they pay the bill. No one would know they were from Canada. It is also my guess that since the population of Canada is far less than the States that the sat companies do not have the customer base that directv and Dish have south of the border and will find ways to ....pay for the new sat.
mail2us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 06:25 AM   #35
moutard2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10948
[quote]Originally posted by mail2us

Can Canadian residents/citizens purchase Directv? I was told by a guy from Canada they could not as their address is normally a Canadian address of record??[quote]Originally posted by richfaa

Yes, the US satellite companies require a US billing address.
moutard2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 05:53 PM   #36
moutard2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10948
Here's some additional info that suggests that we'll still be able to watch the homefront news while sipping margaritas in Yuma in December ...

http://amazingvanstones.com/shaw-dir...about-nothing/
moutard2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 06:49 PM   #37
mamestra
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12359
I talked to Shaw today. It is the same as always except that we won't have as much support as we have in the past.
mamestra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 09:53 AM   #38
Pokernose
Established Member

M.O.C. #11089
OMG when Bell did this last winter everyone switched to Shaw and now you say they are going to do it too! This is absolutely ridiculous. I to am going to write to Snowbirds immediately. It is not only our programs but we want Canadian news. We go to Arizona and for the most part they do not seem to know where Canada is!!
Pokernose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 02:57 PM   #39
Pokernose
Established Member

M.O.C. #11089
Hi Everyone:

Well reading about not having our Canadian TV in the states, I saw red! So I got on my computer for contacts to the Canadian Snowbird Association, CARP and my MP. Evan called me back almost immediately from Canadian Snowbirds and he told me they had numerous calls on this subject. He had contacted the Vice-President of Shaw and was told that only the new satellite is affected. The two older ones will continue to give us our TV. Evan also said he will probably be putting updates on the Canadian Snowbird website. I yet have to hear from CARP and my MP. At this time for those of you who are not members of the Canadian Snowbird Association I encourage you to join. This organization does a great deal for Snowbirds and through them our voices can be heard. Hope this helps folks and thank you for bringing this to our attention.
Pokernose is offline   Reply With Quote