Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 03-02-2013, 11:27 AM   #21
nosticks
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10378
We have plenty of red light revenue generators in Florida. The problem is they are out of sync with the Florida custom and common driving practices. You go on the last half of the green, all of the yellow, and the first half of the red. The cameras don't work the way everyone here drives, so they create the opportunity for rear end accidents followed by ten to twelve hungry ambulance chasing lawyers tossing business cards trying to cash in on our PIP coverage.

nosticks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 11:37 AM   #22
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
Quote:
quote: The cameras don't work the way everyone here drives, so they create the opportunity for rear end accidents followed by ten to twelve hungry ambulance chasing lawyers tossing business cards trying to cash in on our PIP coverage.
PIP is, as I have come to understand it, personal injury protection and has a "value" of $10,000. Correct me if I'm wrong, Dave. These attorneys and attorney referral services hawk on the TV, radio and even intersections to get you to call them.

Here in Ft. Lauderdale, I know where the red light cameras are and watch accordingly. Unfortunately, I have had many a close call because other drivers, many of whom are not insured, don't know or don't care and all but sniff my exhaust at the headers!
snfexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 04:03 AM   #23
nosticks
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10378
Yea Mike, it's like that over here in the Tampa area as well. The scam uncovered here is to trick you into a rear end collision. During the confusion, a few extra people show up and claim they were in the vehicle you just hit. Then out come the vultures.

On the lights, my GPS warns me of upcoming red light cameras and extra caution is needed in those areas. There is some red light camera reform underway, but in the end it generates so much revenue that I'm sure, save a few communities that have abandoned them, they are here to stay.

All kidding aside, one of the first things I do when a light turns yellow is to glance in the rear view mirrors, if someone is on my tail, I blast on hopefully making it to the other side of the intersection before the red. One good thing is the pedestrian cross walk lights that count down. If you can see them, and they are counting down, if the number is close to '1' the very next thing that happens is the yellow. At least it is some warning.

nosticks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 04:49 AM   #24
RickW
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9139
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by gkidsdlite

In my opinion the cameras are not for safety, they are for revenue!!!
There is more truth to this statement then you realize, but the kicker is in most cases it is not the City/County/State that it is making the money. Most red light camareas are owned and operated by a private company that has a lease/contract to install the equipment on public property and then issue bills (not tickets because a company by law can not issue a ticket. That it why if you go to court it is CIVIL court not traffic court. Some states have passed laws to work around this). In most cases the city only gets around $5. Maybe the state also gets a little but the company gets the rest.

Back 5 or 6 years ago my police chief came to me to get my opinion about bringing the idea of red light cameras before council (I am a councilman and am the most knowledgeable councilman on public safety issues but by no means a public safety professional) to get my opinion. This is when red light cameras were all the craze. Everybody was installing them. When I asked him if we had a red light running problem he replied no. I told told why would we do this since the perception is already that the police are everywhere pulling people over and writing tickets left and right when the reality is only 1 in 5 traffic stops result in a ticket being issued. Citizens tell me they are afraid to break traffic laws. I ask them if they have ever been pulled over by our police. If they say yes, they are typically quick to reply they did not get a ticket. They are grateful and now make sure to obey traffic laws and have a positive impression of our police department overall as a result of not getting a ticket. Why screw this up by letting a company issues bills that the public thinks are tickets. The company will not use discression like a officer since the company goal is revenue not safety because the safer we act the less money they make.
RickW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 05:11 AM   #25
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Thanks Rick. Very informative.
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 06:42 AM   #26
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Maybe we should fight back with donut cameras!?
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote