Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 10-29-2012, 01:45 PM   #41
Irlpguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12935
Not sure how many Canadians frequent the forums, but here is a link to an interesting document put out by the Province of Alberta, BC has basically the same one and even though the information is shown in Kg rather than lbs it has information that might help anyone interested with understanding all the things one might not know about determining the weights of our trucks and fifth wheels or trailers.

http://www.transportation.alberta.ca...ehtowguide.pdf

Irlpguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 02:03 PM   #42
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
You need to be concerned with the weight laws whatever they may be in Canada. In the USA we are recreational vehicles and not subject to the Commercial "weight " laws
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 02:36 PM   #43
scductman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7270
Allen I believe you will find that the 11580 shipping wt is very close. that should be what the RV is when delivered to the dealer with the options installed . my 3650RK has a dry wt of 11280 and a GVWR of 14200 I have weighted it two times loaded for a long trip and it was 13600+or-50lb both times. If you want to know for sure just take it to a scale and weight everything drive off the scale and drop the rv and go back across and weight the truck and deduct that from the total. JMHO
Bobby
scductman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 03:35 PM   #44
Irlpguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12935
Rich we are considered recreational vehicles in Canada as well, nonetheless our units can be checked and if found to be over the GVWR of the tow vehicle and the trailer we are subject to fines. I would be surprised if compliance to GVWR on recreational vehicles is completely ignored in the US.
I would suspect like Canada it is just not normally enforced.
Old 11-09-2012, 11:01 AM   #45
Allen in MT
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7615
Well I finally got over the certified CAT scales for a weigh in and here are the results
Steer Axel 4980
Drive Axel 6520
trailer axel 11580
Gross weight 23080
re-weigh of pickup only 8240
I guess it is what it is as havent had a problem in years.
Allen in MT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 11:24 AM   #46
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Irlpguy

Rich we are considered recreational vehicles in Canada as well, nonetheless our units can be checked and if found to be over the GVWR of the tow vehicle and the trailer we are subject to fines. I would be surprised if compliance to GVWR on recreational vehicles is completely ignored in the US.
I would suspect like Canada it is just not normally enforced.
I am not aware of any such law regarding GVWR In the USA.Since we are not considered Commercial vehicles and do not require a CDL( commercial drivers license) we are subject to no weight laws not that I agree with that but I am pretty sure that is the way it is.
Old 11-09-2012, 01:43 PM   #47
Irlpguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12935
Thank you for posting your weights Allen, I will be very interested in seeing how they compare to mine when I am able to get the unit to the scales.

Perhaps some of us worry about weights too much. Without a doubt you are exceeding the GVWR of your TV by 1600 lbs, although you appear to be ok on the trailer. Your numbers now work out to a pin weight of 3340 lbs, that seems a little excessive, but obviously indicates the way the unit is loaded.

The long and short of it is that as I suggested in a previous post, I think there are a whole lot of travelers exceeding their GVWR. Since you have had no problems and are comfortable with this, then you are the one to make the decision as to how to deal with it. Keep in mind overloading adds to the possibility of other potential problems ie: handling, tire life and so on.

My concern here in Canada is the possibility of getting stopped and scaled in a mobile set up. Of even more concern is the legal aspect and the possibility that if I were to be involved in a serious accident and possibility of some sharp lawyer pursuing the issue of my being overweight.

In the end I may find I am over my “legal” limits as well, how will I handle that, I don’t know until I am faced with it, I will know in a couple of weeks.

Richfaa you could be completely correct in your assessment of the rules in the US, however I would still be concerned if involved in a major accident in the US with respect to the lawyers.
Old 11-09-2012, 02:34 PM   #48
Sinterior
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9238
As far as weight capacity is concerned, here in BC you need a special license endorsement for RV'ers towing over 4600kg, (10120lbs, who knows where that came from!) and entails an eyes exam, written and driving test. On the written part it states, something along the lines of, "by taking this test, you agree you understand about GVWR, CGVWR etc etc, and that if exceeded and you have an accident, your insurance may not cover you. Here in BC basic insurance is mandatory and is a Provincial insurer, ICBC and they will probably NOT cover if they figure out you're over weight.

Having said that, I believe if out of BC, BC will accept your home Province or State weight regulations whatever they are.
Sinterior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 03:39 PM   #49
Irlpguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12935
Yes you are right Pete about the “heavy trailer” endorsement required in BC when towing a vehicle over 4600 kg. However this has absolutely nothing to do with the ratings on our TV and RV’s with respect to weight. We could be towing a trailer that is less than 4600 kg and have it well overloaded with respect to the capacity of the trailer or TV. If we were in an accident and it was proven that the accident was a result of overloading or improper loading, we very well might not have insurance coverage or at the very least we would have a fight on our hands to collect.

If in the US there are no laws governing the weight and carry capacity of Recreational Vehicles and a catastrophic accident occurs resulting in death, with a subsequent investigation proving the cause of the accident was either overloading of the RV or TV, I think it would be safe to say the lawyers would be on that like fly’s on candy.

IMHO British Columbia’s drivers license endorsement is a joke, and as far as I know is the only province in Canada to have such an endorsement or DL requirement for towing an RV. Not a single traveler I met last winter from BC had taken the test and had secured the endorsement.

Whether we strive to keep our TV and RV within it’s rated weight capacity is a choice each of us will have to make, it is up to the individual to consider the possible consequences and do what we are comfortable with. Heck I am running those Chinese Marathons, if I can avoid it I don’t want to put undue stress on them.
Old 11-09-2012, 07:06 PM   #50
Sinterior
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9238
Ed (I presume not Carol) I was just making reference to BC's laws and not commenting on actual truck and trailer weights.
I did take the test, and actually failed the first time because I didn't take it seriously, it's a class 3 test with very few differences than the commercial license test and passed the 2nd time. I'm a believer in the weights and measures issue for my own peace and mind, and if ever involved in an accident where weight may be an issue, I know I'm safe.

The main joke about the test IMHO, when I failed the first time, I was free to drive the truck and trailer home!
Another laugh, I asked the driving examiner if I was considered a truck when pulling the 5th wheel, when speed limit said, trucks 80Kph and cars 90Kph, they didn't know, told me they would find out and phone me.......guess what? Never happened.

When I went to a BC weigh scale to have the truck and trailer weighed, once they saw I was obviously over the 4600Kg weight, I was asked to show my endorsed license, TCH west bound weigh scale Kamloops.
Sinterior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 01:23 AM   #51
RonD
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8962
California has the same rules, over 10,000 pounds, to under 15,000 GVWR, up to 26,000 pounds, they call it Restriction 41

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Sinterior

As far as weight capacity is concerned, here in BC you need a special license endorsement for RV'ers towing over 4600kg, (10120lbs, who knows where that came from!) and entails an eyes exam, written and driving test. On the written part it states, something along the lines of, "by taking this test, you agree you understand about GVWR, CGVWR etc etc, and that if exceeded and you have an accident, your insurance may not cover you. Here in BC basic insurance is mandatory and is a Provincial insurer, ICBC and they will probably NOT cover if they figure out you're over weight.

Having said that, I believe if out of BC, BC will accept your home Province or State weight regulations whatever they are.
RonD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 01:33 AM   #52
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
"Richfaa you could be completely correct in your assessment of the rules in the US, however I would still be concerned if involved in a major accident in the US with respect to the lawyers."

You are 100% correct which is why we stay withing ratings and specs and strongly advocate that everyone does.
Old 11-10-2012, 03:53 AM   #53
Irlpguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12935

Yes it is Ed not Carol Pete, she looks after the inside and I have the outside assignment.
You are now the second person who has the endorsement that I have met, I am sure there are many more I just have not come across them.

You bring up an interesting point on the “Truck” speed limit, I have wondered the same thing, especially heading down I5 in states where this difference is posted.

It is also interesting you were allowed to drive home, my understanding is when you take the written exam you turn in your license and are issued a “learners permit” which would normally mean you would need to be accompanied by a properly licensed driver.

As you have done Pete I will make every effort to be within the weight limits of both my TV and my Monty.