Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 09-21-2012, 05:41 PM   #1
Wheelhouse
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11462
Black water tank valve repair

My black water tank valve is weeping fluids. Does anyone have any idea on how to remove the black water dump valve in order to replace the seals and two outter o-rings? I a cut access hole in underbelly storage floor because the propane gas line made it hard to drop undercover panel. I tried by taking the four bolts off, but there is to much pressure between the black water tank and the drop pipe between the gray/black water tanks to remove the valve. If I try to spread the flanges apart, I am afraid of possibly cracking the tank or breaking the drop pipe. Help me if you can.

Wheelhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 05:54 PM   #2
bigmurf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #538
Can you saw a section of the 3" pipe out? Then get a 3" rubber coupling with two hose clamps on it to put things back? They have these at Lowes and Home Depot in the plumbing dept. They are about 4" long.
bigmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 03:26 AM   #3
Wheelhouse
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11462
Wow, how many times have I cut and spliced pipe and didn't even think of it. Excellent response for my problem. Thank you for resolving this fix. Thought I was going to call out the cash squad. This forum is great, thanks again.
Where it is leaking around the ABS fiting, I found that if you sand the area a little and apply a couple of thick coats of black ABS pipe glue, it should seal the leak. Best to go all around the fitting in case of a traveling leak.
Well, I bought the 3" rubber coupling and cut the 3" ABS pipe. While cutting, I trimmed about 3/8" off the valve side to allow easy install. I found that the seals on the factory installed unit are much smaller then the replacement ones. I just replaced the whole valve in case it was the valve itself. I thank the forum again.
Wheelhouse is offline   Reply With Quote