Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 03-25-2010, 05:02 PM   #21
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
I, too, use blue Dawn on the roof. It does a great job and keeps my hands silky smooth and caressible, plus it does wonders for the nails also.

NOT!!!!!!!

exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 01:05 AM   #22
NCFischers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8728
Send a message via Yahoo to NCFischers
Everyone here has mentioned BLUE dawn dish soap. There is a reason. Blue Dawn has no citrus scent to it. Don't use anything with a scent or the birds will be pecking at the roof looking for the food. That plays hell on rubber roofs.
NCFischers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 03:47 PM   #23
Clemson1881
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9432
My neighbor was washing his roof on his travel trailer last week. I walked over and noticed he was using Dawn but it was green. I asked him what kind was it and he said apple blossom scented with power scrubbers. I told him he better rinse it really well because animals may be all over his roof. He was shocked saying he read Dawn was suggested to use for the roof. I told him yeah, but not food scented! He scrubbed and rinsed the fool out of it. So far we haven't seen any activity from birds or anything else. I hope the rinsing took care of it, or since it wasn't a citrus based cleaner maybe he's OK and I worried him for nothing. I only use Full Timer's Choice roof cleaner on mine.
Clemson1881 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 06:16 AM   #24
Wiesehan
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9711
Send a message via Yahoo to Wiesehan
I found some stuff at a RV dealer in norther Indiana several years ago that is called Streak Off with wax. They have it manufactured for them in Indiana also. I have not found anything that works as well as this. I am trying to work some sort of deal with them to get a break on the price, then I will take a few gallon with me where ever I travel and hook you up. I will be at fall rally and will try to have some there for sale or direct you to the dealer that stocks it if you interested.
Don
Wheel to wheel SS side bars
Wiesehan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 02:32 PM   #25
Wiesehan
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9711
Send a message via Yahoo to Wiesehan
I tried to send this earlier, but don't know where it went. I use an RV product called Streak Off with Wax. I get it from an RV store in Indiana and they have it made in Indiana. As far as I know it is the only place that stocks it. I am going to try to work a deal with them so I can get it at a discount and sell for them. If it works out I will have some at the fall rally, if not I can let you know where the dealer is located. This is the best stuff I have ever found. It comes in 1 gallon jugs and makes about 20 gallons. Let me know if any of you are interested that are planning on attending fall rally.
Don
Wheel to wheel SS side bars
Wiesehan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 03:50 AM   #26
Superdave
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6291
Newbie question- After our first few outings this spring, realize how dirty the RV is and that I need to clean it - but how? There's a lot of products obviously, but what do you use to actually clean the unit. Do you use a power washer , hose sprayer, a bucket and mop ? Are the waxes referred to a spray on type? I can't imagine using a wax on - wax off product on an RV.
Looking forward to the response!
Superdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 01:33 PM   #27
JazB

M.O.C. #11534
I've read that dish soap will strip the wax off so we try stay clear of that. The brand of soap we use is from Meguiar's soft wash which will not strip away the wax protection. Other brands are most likely available but since this is the brand of wax we use why not stay true to the brand. We use Meguiar's Gold Class Carnauba Wax which does seem to leave a great shine that last through the season and washes, once a year all over and twice on front cap.
JazB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 01:46 PM   #28
kdeiss
Montana Master

M.O.C. #164
Turtle Wax Zip Wash pour into spray bottle spray on and use the long handle brush and bucket.
Blue Dawn on the roof and also use black streak spray.

Never waxed and never will!

kdeiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 01:02 AM   #29
southern thunder
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12211
I use Blue Coral car wash to wash it and have not had to wax it yet. I was told by a car detailer one time that different brands of care wash would work differently with different types of water, Hard, soft, high ph, low ph ect. You need one that compliments your water type and makes lots of suds.
southern thunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 01:36 AM   #30
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
If you start when brand new, NuFinish (a polish) works great, easy to apply. Use on my boat as well. I do once every 3 months, takes me about four hours, and I split into two days. Fantastic works great on streaks, etc, and does not remove wax or polish. If chalking or fading has started, too late, and buffer, maybe mild compound and quality wax is required.
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 08:35 AM   #31
seahunter
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11675
I hope it's okay to contribute here rather than start another thread...

I have physical limitations - does anyone use a commercial truck wash? There is a Blue Beacon near us and even for the largest motorhome the cost is only $35.00 - camper trailer on the menu says $24.50 plus $6.00 for Weather Shield protectant if you want it. Any pros/cons to this other than cost. Seems like after buying all the supplies and spending half a day or better time-wise, this may be an okay cost at $30.00??

seahunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 01:07 PM   #32
OhDon

M.O.C. #12218
You can use Blue Coral car wash soap, Armor All car soap, and Meguirars car was soap without removing your hard earned wax job.
OhDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 02:50 PM   #33
TAKPAK
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8238
Does anyone use a commercial truck wash? There is a Blue Beacon near us and even for the largest motorhome the cost is only $35.00 - camper trailer on the menu says $24.50 plus $6.00 for Weather Shield protectant if you want it. Any pros/cons to this other than cost. Seems like after buying all the supplies and spending half a day or better time-wise, this may be an okay cost at $30.00??

Hi Greg. I personally would NOT recommend it. First, the truck washes are designed for....trucks. Trucks have a completely different type of paint on them, and few if any graphics. Also, trucks don't have canopies, awnings, etc, to tear off. And the soap can do "bad" things. Example; recently an employee of a local (unnamed)transit bus company decided to take his pickup through the truck/bus wash. It stripped most of his paint off, and then he was fired anyway for unauthorized use of the company wash. Those truck washes use some pretty harsh detergents. Now if the guy running the wash wants to HAND wash it.......but I doubt he'll do that for $35.00!!!!!! I'd hire the neighborhood teenager that needs some money for his new "smart phone"......!!!!!
2015 GMC Sierra 4X4 3500 SRW
TAKPAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 03:31 PM   #34
seahunter
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11675
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by TAKPAK

Hi Greg. I personally would NOT recommend it. First, the truck washes are designed for....trucks. Trucks have a completely different type of paint on them, and few if any graphics. Also, trucks don't have canopies, awnings, etc, to tear off. And the soap can do "bad" things. Example; recently an employee of a local (unnamed)transit bus company decided to take his pickup through the truck/bus wash. It stripped most of his paint off, and then he was fired anyway for unauthorized use of the company wash. Those truck washes use some pretty harsh detergents. Now if the guy running the wash wants to HAND wash it.......but I doubt he'll do that for $35.00!!!!!! I'd hire the neighborhood teenager that needs some money for his new "smart phone"......!!!!!
Thanks Terry, good points... I wonder if they use any different materials for the RVs they do? Checked the price at CW and the cheapest there for just wash/dry of vertical surfaces is almost $140.00 - ouch! $3.49 per foot. Next level up which just adds windows and tire dressing is $8.95 a foot!
seahunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 04:22 PM   #35
TAKPAK
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8238
I would just be very, VERY concerned about going through a truck wash, unless I knew for sure that other RV's/5th wheels had been through the same wash. I doubt that they change the wash solution from vehicle type to vehicle type. I'd also still be REALLY concerned about what's on the roof as well. Vent covers, A/C units, antennae, among other things. Trucks have none of these on them. Another possible option would be to check out some of the mobile pressure washing outfits, that do houses, decks, and similar items. They have various solutions and also pressures that they can use. One thing that I found out from a guy I knew that did this, was he used a solution from RAIN-X that after application prevented streaks and stains from adhering to the vehicle. Used in car washes. It's the "wax" treatment you get.
2015 GMC Sierra 4X4 3500 SRW
TAKPAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 11:39 AM   #36
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
I've used Blue Beacon truck washes several times without any problems. The price is right, and they even put on a Rain-X coating.
simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote