Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 09-28-2011, 03:36 PM   #21
Recumbent
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10457
99% of the time we are level when putting the slides in or out and are hooked to CG power supply. The exceptions have been like yesterday when at camping world service center getting a new washer/dryer installed. The bedroom slide was moved in and out while off-level. Then the largest slide was moved out about 2 feet and later back in so DW could get to a cupon book at computer desk. From experience the greatest risk for us while moving a slide is getting one of the recliners caught in the slide movement without catching it until the wood panel cracked. We now watch this area very closely.

Recumbent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 12:15 AM   #22
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Why ask for trouble. The only time I've ever hooked up with the slides out is when I've had to move the rig a couple feet forward or back.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 01:51 AM   #23
CamillaMichael
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10246
How many times have we done things that we know are wrong and fortunately not suffered any adverse consequence? Just because nothing bad happened does not make the action right.
CamillaMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 01:31 PM   #24
akf15e
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9143
I guess I'm missing where it says not to do this. Is it in the manual or somewhere else that I can reference? I don't like to be in the "nothing bad happened, so it is OK" crowd, but I have read my manual and multiple websites on hitching and unhitching, and I don't see anywhere that tells me not to do it with slides out. If I am "asking for trouble", I'd honestly like to be educated. Thx.
akf15e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 01:50 PM   #25
Sniperduce
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #10075
From my manual it seems pretty clear being number 8 on the checklist. I can't hookup to my truck if I'm level so slides are always in till I'm level and stable:

Hook Ups
1.Once the unit is safely leveled and stabilized, continue with set-up

2.Connect the shore-line cord
3.Open the step.
4.Inside, set the Thermostat to the desired temperature (air conditioning/furnace), open a roof vent
and turn on the fan (if applicable) to create air exchange, turn on the refrigerator then complete the remainder of the set up.
5.Turn on the LP
6.Connect the water hose
7.Connect the sewer hose, park cable, (if applicable)
8.Open slide-outs
9.Set up the remaining features as needed

Basic Slide-Out Tips
Before operating any slide-out:
The unit must have a fully charged RV battery (having the shore-line cord plugged in may NOT be 1. enough)
Turn off all necessary lights and 12V components prior to extending/retracting2.
The unit must be leveled and stabilizer jacks extended.
Sniperduce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 02:27 PM   #26
helmick
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8890
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Sniperduce

From my manual it seems pretty clear being number 8 on the checklist. I can't hookup to my truck if I'm level so slides are always in till I'm level and stable:

Hook Ups
1.Once the unit is safely leveled and stabilized, continue with set-up

2.Connect the shore-line cord
3.Open the step.
4.Inside, set the Thermostat to the desired temperature (air conditioning/furnace), open a roof vent

Very good advice.
and turn on the fan (if applicable) to create air exchange, turn on the refrigerator then complete the remainder of the set up.
5.Turn on the LP
6.Connect the water hose
7.Connect the sewer hose, park cable, (if applicable)
8.Open slide-outs
9.Set up the remaining features as needed

Basic Slide-Out Tips
Before operating any slide-out:
The unit must have a fully charged RV battery (having the shore-line cord plugged in may NOT be 1. enough)
Turn off all necessary lights and 12V components prior to extending/retracting2.
The unit must be leveled and stabilizer jacks extended.
helmick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 04:34 PM   #27
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
There are many of us who frequently stop for an overnighter and never unhook. But we do put our slides out. Don't see any difference.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 06:49 PM   #28
maximo
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11371
I have the Lippert 6 point leveling system on my Big Sky so I do not have the leveling gauges on the front and side of the trailer. I am going to put a set of leveles on the trailer so I can see how level it is when hooked to the truck and unhooking the trailer.

Frank
maximo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 12:35 AM   #29
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by BB_TX

There are many of us who frequently stop for an overnighter and never unhook. But we do put our slides out. Don't see any difference.
You're right. Most of the Rvers I know, when stopping overnight, will put their slides out without unhooking from truck (that is, if they're in a place where there is sufficient room and it's near level). However, I think a lot of us think that it's not a good idea to move the rig with the slides out. A lot of people do it though.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 01:21 AM   #30
timandsusan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5165
I am happy to hear the great experience on the slide out question. I guess I treat my slide outs carefully to avoid any alignment issues--have not had any in 5 years--so I am sticking to "IN" for hook ups. Everyone have a good time traveling--which ever way it is done.
F-250 King Ranch Crew Cab 2012, Single Wheel, 6.7 L Diesel, Transfer Flow Internal 50 Gallon Fuel Tank, Upgraded Ford Software for 50 Gallon tank, 2006 3475Rl with Mor-ryde King Pin, 2nd AC, 2nd Battery, Pressure Pro TPMS, Wet Bolt Shackle Kit
timandsusan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 06:44 AM   #31
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110

I have hooked up several times with the slides out. As long as its level and you don’t let the frame get in a bind, I don’t see where it could be a problem. I will back in and level from side to side but usually I will have un-hooked the truck and finish leveling before they go out. When hooking back up I don’t have a problem with it but I usually leave the landing gear on the ground for support until they are in avoiding any un-necessary binding. If the manual indicates that you should always be set up and level then I’m sure there must be a reason for it. I believe that would always be the best method to follow.
Old 10-01-2011, 04:32 AM   #32
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
Those of you who move your trailer with the slides out, I would suggest for the safety of others you use a "WIDE LOAD" banner on both front and back.
simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 08:13 AM   #33
Sierra 117
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9481
I will hook up regardless of whether the slides are in or out. I don't consider it to be a factor unless I plan to move the rig. It seems to be common practice to move rigs around at the dealerships with the slides out. Even if you have never hitched up or moved your unit with the slides out, there is a good chance that the dealer has before you purchased it.
Sierra 117 is offline   Reply With Quote