Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 03-21-2010, 02:20 PM   #41
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by richard66

Gentelmen, both the Duramax and Cummins are known quanities. The new Ford engine is yet to be proven. I hope the new engine is as good as the 7.3 was and has none of the problems of the last decade of engines. We all have our favorites and that's good.

Everyone ( tv mfg's ) keeps raising the towing capacities. Is the next thing I will be able to tow is a house. Where is this going to stop. Why do I need a 40'long trailer that weighs 16k and can't or should not be towed by half of the folks out there. This biggest trailer, highest HP TV, most torque battle is a example of being told by the rv & tv mfg's that we must have something we really don't need.

How many of us need to have a 20k towing ability? This ability is in all reality only for bragging rights. These ratings come with a cost. How many of us need a 50k plus TV that can tow 20k? These new TV's are less fuel efficient and cost more to purchase and maintain.

RV mfg's need to step up and use more weight saving materials and reduce total rv weights. Then RV'ers would not require the 20K towing capacity or TV's that costs 50k plus.
As has been stated on here before...towing is NOT the issue! The 3/4 and dually will come very close to "towing" the same amount. The difference is the daully's ability to haul the heavy pin weight of the new 5th wheels and remain within the manufacturer's limits.

TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 03:40 AM   #42
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Phil.. We do not need a new truck. This one is fine. But I sure like new trucks. My salesman and friend made me a offer I could not refuse on this 08.... I hope he has retired.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 04:41 AM   #43
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by richfaa

Phil.. We do not need a new truck. This one is fine. But I sure like new trucks. My salesman and friend made me a offer I could not refuse on this 08.... I hope he has retired.
Need? What does "need" have to do with a new truck??
Old 04-05-2010, 08:30 AM   #44
Joshuatree59
Established Member

M.O.C. #10292
Send a message via MSN to Joshuatree59
Delanie and Lindy posted "The Ford Super Duty Diesel truck is being made in Mexico"..They are???? Let me look out my office window here...no sombrero's...no cacti..just rows and rows of brand new 2011 Super Duty Ford trucks. My last count was 3850 awaiting shipment to dealers. And this is LOUISVILLE KENTUCKY. Unless our Governor seceded from the Union (again) this is still the USA. We are Ford's largest ASSEMBLY plant with a new Super Duty rolling off the end of the line every 60 seconds. (And we also make the Expedition and Navigator here as well). As a matter of fact, we are EXPORTING thousands of Super Duties TO Mexico! Before making statements like "Super Duties are being made in Mexico" check your facts, or better yet, check the windshield sticker on any Super Duty. (Passenger side, lower right) "Made with Pride at The Kentucky Truck Plant Louisville Kentucky"
Joshuatree59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 09:02 AM   #45
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
Just for the record are all of the superduty trucks, 250,350, 2 and 4 wheel drive assembled in Louisville?
8.1al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 09:31 AM   #46
7.3Ford
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9808
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Joshuatree59
"Made with Pride at The Kentucky Truck Plant Louisville Kentucky"
Aman... my 2001 F350 and my 1983 F350 were both made there.
7.3Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 09:45 AM   #47
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
The trucks are being made in Ky but the engines are being made in Mexico.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 10:47 AM   #48
Joshuatree59
Established Member

M.O.C. #10292
Yes, the engines are built by FORD at the Chihuahua Engine plant in Mexico. Just as most of the major automotive manufacturers build and buy PARTS globally, so does Ford. Ford-engineered, Ford-tested and Ford-manufactures the 6.7-liter Power Stroke V-8 turbocharged diesel engine.
My point was, and is, the truck is BUILT at KTP in Louisville. Not to mention that a great deal of the metal is stamped right next door at the Stamping Facility on Chamberlain Lane.
We build the F250, F350, and F450, 4X2 and 4X4, SRW and DRW Super Duties, and the F550 chassis cabs for commercial use.
What about other Ford engines/powertrains?
• A new 6.2-liter V-8 engine at the company's Romeo Engine Plant in Michigan
• A new 6-speed transmission at the Sharonville Transmission Plant in Ohio
• A new 5.0-liter V-8 engine at the Essex Engine Plant in Windsor, Ontario
• A new 6-speed transmission at the Livonia Transmission Plant in Michigan
and Cleveland Engine Plant produces the new 3.7-liter V-6 for the 2011 Ford Mustang.

Sorry, didn't mean for this to become a Blue Oval waving rally. Just wanted to set the record straight. I own an F350 6.4L Crew Cab Dually to pull my 3750FL Monty and I am proud of BOTH. And believe me, I hope the 6.7L diesel performs beyond expectations, more than anyone! (I need the work)
Old 04-05-2010, 11:20 AM   #49
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
Joshuatree59, really don't want to start a Peeing contest, my facts are correct. The Ford Super Duty DIESEL is being built in Mexico, that was my exact wording. Glad you like your Ford. GBY...

P.S. If I were to downgrade to a 1 ton it would be a GM 3500HD , DRW all four of our GM 3500HD DRW were awesome, never had any issues. But thats just my choice there are for sure other well made Trucks on the market.
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 11:39 AM   #50
skypilot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1846
Joshuatree59: I wish Ford much success with the new 6.7L PS engine -- was a Ford man until the 6.0L left me stranded on the highways of Kansas several times; once in an 03 out in the western Kansas prairie; then in an 04 (Ford and local dealer 'bought' back the 03 and moved me into an 04) which started having problems and then died several times -- most often acting like it was out of fuel when there was plenty -- or just stopping after sitting at a traffic light and when the light changed, push on the accelerator and the vehicle would just die. Try to restart it and it would just crank; wait30 minutes to an hour later the truck would start right up as if nothing was wrong. Other times, you'd be driving along and then suddenly just start spewing white smoke. Didn't mean to be long winded; just that I grew up with Fords and still like them but didn't trust the 6.0 and 6.4L engines. Went to Dodge and if this new PS pans out, will seriously consider Ford again when I trade in a couple of years.

Keep making then in Louisville!!
skypilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 12:01 PM   #51
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
After reading all the posts again I think allot of people don't know how good Ford's automatic transmission is. I've been watching several performance diesel webb sites for several years, and what I have found out is the Ford transmission will take well over 500 HP without any damage. The Allison WILL NOT take near that much power. The new 6R140 Ford transmission is designed to take 1400 pound feet of torque. I'm not saying anything bad about the Allison. It's a great transmission and will not give you any trouble unless your truck is putting out 560 HP like my truck is.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 01:59 PM   #52
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
Time will tell on all the "new" stuff. I make it a habit of never buying any new vehicle in it's first year of production. Hopefully the 6.7 will prove itself to be better than the 6.0 or 6.4...Ford is 0 for 2 at this point with new diesels.
Old 04-05-2010, 03:41 PM   #53
priceml
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #183
Send a message via ICQ to priceml Send a message via AIM to priceml
All I HAVE READ ABOUT THE NEW ford tow ratings they should compare them to the M2.It is a F450 not a F350.And the 2011 Duramax puts out more Torque than the 6.7
priceml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 10:37 PM   #54
Joshuatree59
Established Member

M.O.C. #10292
[quote]Originally posted by Delaine and Lindy

Joshuatree59, really don't want to start a Peeing contest, my facts are correct. The Ford Super Duty DIESEL is being built in Mexico, that was my exact wording. Glad you like your Ford. GBY...

After reading your original post I feel I may owe an apology. Yes, you did say the new "diesel" was made in Mexico, but without the word "engine" following I took it to mean the "truck" as a whole was built there. Semantics I suppose. When we discuss any new launches at the plant we refer to the units as "diesel" or "gas", denoting the unit as a whole truck not just the engine. So when someone asks," What's your non-constraint ratio of gas to diesel?", ]I think of a complete truck. So please accept my apology for misunderstanding your post.
Old 04-06-2010, 12:31 PM   #55
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
Gary not a problem I do the same thing. My mature eyes see one thing and my carrot seed brain thinks something else. Welcome to the Forum. GBY...
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 05:12 PM   #56
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I read an article that makes me think the torque and hp numbers wars are just getting rolling once again. Ford came out with the top numbers. GM followed shortly thereafter with even bigger numbers. Then Ford said, aha, we'll just flash the computer and come out with bigger numbers than GM since our engine is a new design not even close to its potential and GM's is an old design near its design max. Will they really do that? Are they correct? Who knows. Only time will tell. And we are the winners. Unless they jack the prices along with the numbers.

Or maybe they'll just leave well enough alone. I don't really see where we in this group really need more than what the three majors provide right now. But that's just my opinion. Notice I said "need." I didn't say "want."
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 03:38 PM   #57
KathyandDave
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8693
Send a message via MSN to KathyandDave
Our Sierra was apparently built in Oshawa, Ontario. It made me feel good to "buy Canadian", but who am I kidding. The Ford plant in Oakville makes Lincolns. They previously made Windstars and Freestars. When I was in Mississippi, recently, they were talking about a new GM plant in Jackson (I'd want to check my facts on that). In Ontario, we have GM, Ford, Chrysler (down the street from our house), Toyota, Honda, CAMI, and who knows what other car plants, not to mention Magna parts plants. I'm not sure the perceived quality is a result of the ctizenship or ethnic character of the workforce, but comes from the money and attention to detail that the manufacturer gives each product, including marketing. Just look at the hype around "German engineering".
KathyandDave is offline   Reply With Quote