Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 05-31-2004, 10:28 AM   #1
Montana_1237
Established Member

M.O.C. #1237
Chevy Truck

Thanks to everyone for the great feedback on the Chevy truck. I really appreciate it very much.

This is a great site. I read everything that's important for me to be aware of when purchasing our 3400 RL and the truck. I have a notebook filled with printouts that's pertinent to 5th wheels, trucks, hitches and anything else that I need to know.

Montana Sky, you can bet that my wife and I will look for you when we head that way. She will be on vacation in June when school is out. She works for the school district and has another year and a half before retirement. WE CAN'T WAIT.

We have a price for the 3400 here locally, but we think it's kind of high. We're going to go to Wenatchee and stop at D&L's RV Center. He gave us a really good price on a 3295RK, which we were going to buy before the 3400 came out, and that changed everything. My wife fell in love with it.

That sliding hitch - what keeps it locked in place if you have to stop suddenly? I like the short box, because I want my wife to be comfortable driving it; but, I want to be able to have a tool box in back for a few of my carpenter tools to take with me for working on the 5'er. I already have an idea about that lazy susan thing. Does the hitch take up that much room in the bed that makes it impossibe to have a tool box.

I have been talking to a Pete Miller at Dave Smith Motors. Do you know him?

Again, thanks to everyone for all the helpful information.

Tom

Montana_1237 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2004, 02:54 PM   #2
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Tom, Glenn told you about the superglide. For the manual slider, it locks in either the maneuvering or the towing position. It will not accidentally slide unless it's not properly locked in place. There's a big handle on the side used to lock and unlock it.

I have a full-width metal toolbox across the bed of my shortbed truck with slider hitch. I bought it at Tractor Supply. You can buy the same thing at any truck accessories store. The only thing you want to avoid is getting a toolbox that rises much above the bed. The kind that sit on the bedrails are a no-no on a shortbed fiver hauler. You'll reduce your turning radius. Even if it's lower than the fifthwheel, you'll likely crash into the toolbox in a short turn if a wheel drops in a hole. Mine sits even with the bedrails.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote