Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 10-08-2009, 01:28 PM   #1
mazboy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9561
pump kicks on new 3150

my wife tells me that the pump kicks on occasion when nothing is running.
is this typical?

i wouldn't even know where to start since it keeps raining here in michigan...any suggestions?

mazboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 02:13 PM   #2
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
I assume you mean the.....Water pump?????? Are you not hooked up to city water????? If you are hooked up to city water the pump should not even be turned on. If the pump is on and you are drawing from the internal fresh water tank it would not be unusual for the pump to turn on occasionally for a very short burst.You may have a faucet leaking or the john losing a small amount of water. How long does it run???
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 02:16 PM   #3
Red939
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7928
If you are using the on board tank with the pump, you have a water leak.
Red939 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 02:17 PM   #4
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Is this the water pump? It will do what you describe if it is losing pressure somewhere. It might be a loose connection in a water line (after the pump). In that case you may have a water leak. One place to check is behind the water connection center. That's where our pump is located. And there are several connections there. We had some loose connections causing water leaks. In the basement storage area remove the screws from the white panel between the water connection center and the basement storage. Remove the panel. That takes a little maneuvering but can be done. Then you can see all those connections as well as the pump. If there are no loose connections anywhere it's possible the pump is defective, perhaps a small hole in the diaphragm. Since yours is new, I'd suggest letting the dealer track it down. Don't let him tell you the pump cycling on its own is normal. It might do it on rare occasions but not with any regularity.

Good luck. Please let us know what you find.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 03:33 PM   #5
Drifty1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9441
On my 3295rk I had a Vacuum leak on the suction side of the the pump. Seems the screws on the pump case were a little loose causing a small air leak. My pump would run and not stop. I saw a few drips of water in the pump "house" that pointed my in that direction. Since you probably do not have a expansion tank installed on you system it would only take a few drips to cycle the pump. The search is on for the small leak. Could be the relief valve on the water heater. You will find it!
Larry in Olympia
Drifty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 03:37 PM   #6
thor
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6133
if you have checked your trailer and you see no water leaks your pump could be loosing presure through the ckeck valve in the pump.this will slowly let the water leak back into the tank and then pump up the presure again then slowly leak back again over and over .this is just a possiblity
thor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 05:35 PM   #7
8e3k0
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9261
Could be either a check valve leaking back on the pump itself, a slow discharge line leak, or a dripping faucet at one of the sinks, shower/s, or toilet flush seal. Try and eliminate each one at a time and wait to see if problem is solved. Worst case scenario is to have a discharge line leak over time as it will saturate any wood products in your Monty. Our pump can be on all night and never pulse runs unless a faucet or toilet is flushed.
8e3k0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 03:17 AM   #8
nunya
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6756
I just fixed several leaks on a guys motorhome here in the park, 2 at the output side of the pump and one on his icemaker hose. His pump ran a few times at night with no H2O use, this was his hint something was wrong so we went looking! Good luck! those big motor homes sure are fancy, plumbed the same ole way!
nunya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 05:40 AM   #9
skypilot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1846
As mentioned you probably have a leak somewhere -- and that will lead to damage if not fixed. One other thing that was not mentioned, if you have air in any of the water lines the pump will also cycle until the air is bled out of the lines -- so be sure and run all faucets (hot and cold) until you don't get any air out of them.

Good luck on finding it quickly.
skypilot is offline   Reply With Quote