Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 12-11-2008, 03:19 PM   #1
jpsbanjo
Established Member

M.O.C. #8398
pin box

Does anyone know how an air/shock equiped pin box such as the "5th airborne" bin box compares with an air ride hitch such as the trailersaver as far as ride quality goes for both the trailer and the tv? Just checking all my options.

jpsbanjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 05:16 PM   #2
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
My first thought is the hitch would have a better ride based on doubling or quadruple the air bags of the pin box and nearly twice the range of motion as the pin box. Without having the chance to try both, I have no basis for comparison of our air pin box.
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 05:48 PM   #3
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
I don't think there is any question that the air hitch is going to provide more shock absorbing that the air pin. I find the 5th Airborne to be the best of the air pin boxes. I need to be able to remove the hitch from the bed of my truck, so the heavier air hitch is not an option for me.

If cost is not an issue and you don't need the bed of your truck to be available for anything but towing your rig, then go for the air hitch.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 02:24 AM   #4
hookman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6237
As like Stiles I use the truck for other things so we have a 5th Airborne and the DW gives it full approval.
hookman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 05:14 AM   #5
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
I haven't used a 5th Airborne but I do have a Trailair and it does what its designed to do. However I have owned a Trailer Saver air ride hitch, and I can assure you the Pin box type air bags, just doesn't compare to the Trailer Saver. With the TS you could use the Mor/Ryde pin box and with the combo the ride was awesome. I now use the B&W hitch which is the best IMHO if you need to have the use of the Truck bed, when removed the bed is clean. I do think the Trailair does a good job as for as designed to do. Looking at the 5th Airborne I also think it would do the job its designed for. If your full timing I would go with the Trailer Saver, as said its a little pricey but well worth the money. Your 5th wheel will Love you, also it will ride like its on a cloud. GBY...
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 02:17 AM   #6
jpsbanjo
Established Member

M.O.C. #8398
Thanks so much for sharing your thoughts, you all brought up some things i didn't think about. I will be needing to use my truck bed from time to time so a heavy hitch would complicate things. However, there is usually help out there on the road so maybe pulling a hitch out wouldn't be too bad. Happy Trailering. JPS.
Old 12-17-2008, 04:02 AM   #7
Steve and Brenda
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6364
I've towed with both and I switched to the Airborne hitch. When added to my axle's airbags I forget I'm towing sometimes. Thank goodness TomTom warns me when I exceed 60 MPH
Steve and Brenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 02:26 PM   #8
jpsbanjo
Established Member

M.O.C. #8398
Thanks Steve, nice truck!