Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 12-14-2008, 12:56 AM   #21
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
OZZ, you probably dealt with a contractor. Many systems use a contractor for overflow installations and repair. My oldest son is lead tech/supervisor for a communications company in East TX. Occasionally they have to get a contractor in for overload work. Such was the case after Ike visited East TX. In fact, they completely lost several systems near the coast, one being Crystal Beach.

I would call Time Warner and demand they send a professional out. No need for a subscriber to have to troubleshoot their cable installation. You may well be right about the coax too. I helped a neighbor hook up his DirecTV. He had a bad coax jumper between the box and the TV. I put new ends on it, but still no go. New jumper solved the problem.

SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 03:36 AM   #22
mail2us
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6920
I agree with hamrad and others that many trade folks are excellent. I was basically responding to Ozz and his dilemma relating, I think, that all of us from time to time today run into some pretty bad folks that are in business whether their subs or not. All DirecTV installers are with sub companies not owned by DirecTV but drive trademark trucks, etc.

As Dennis (Hamrad) relates, there are indeed many great folks that are professional and focused on their customers.

Just know that if you ever have bad experiences with DirecTV, negotiate with DirecTV for free movie channels, credit to your monthly bills, etc, and they will usually bend over backwards to assist in your requests. Dennis
mail2us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 03:53 AM   #23
noneck
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6263
Send a message via AIM to noneck
Exactly the point I was attempting. Feedback to DirecTV serves to allow them to record any statistics regarding who they have representing them and gets you compensated for your inconvenience.
noneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 04:52 AM   #24
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
We will se how Time Warner cable responds here in Kansas City, when I get done with them.
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 06:26 AM   #25
Wayne and Carolyn Mathews
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7445
This thread is NOT good for my blood presssure. On the other hand, maybe it is, because at least I know I'm in good company with your fellow MOCers in dealing with NOT-service people.

I'll start with the local "The Appliance Doctor," who is part of the national network of appliance service people who seem to handle every warranty problem for most major appliances these days. I waited 2 months for our local guy, the "authorized warranty repairman," to come fix a problem with our new fridge and our new range. Two months and multiple calls later to him ("I just don't know when I'll be able to get to you . . . "), the appliance manufacturer told me to go ahead and find a serviceman of my choice who would come out promptly. I did, and less than 24 hours after my initial call, both appliances had been repaired. The manufacturer paid the independent serviceman and has since ended its contract with the other guy.

My big gripe, however, is with the new generation of televisions, boxes, cables, receivers, etc., all of which require tech expertise far beyond what the average person may have. We have DISH network, and in the last 6 years, we have never had a remote (DISH's or ours) work with our televisions. To operate the DISH receiver, TV, and DVD player, we have to use 3 remotes. We have 3 televisions, one in the great room, one in the guest room, and one in our bedroom. The DISH technician has each set up differently from the others, even though the televisions and DVR players are the identical brands and models. So, we have to remember what combination of buttons on which remotes operate the set we are using at the moment.

Another DISH installer, who didn't put together the initial hookup, had to come out a week after the first DISH guy was here. We weren't getting a good picture on 2 of our sets. The original installer said the problem was on our end--the wiring or our sets or the stars and moon weren't aligned right, or . . . When the new guy arrived, it took him about 5 minutes to find the problem: The other installer had used the wrong cables. However, the new installer also said there was nothing he could do about the 9 remotes for 3 televisions problem.

When we first had DISH installed in 2002, we had 4 televisions (2 antiques and 2 newer ones), each with a DVD/VCR player, a mix of brands, but we needed only one remote per setup to operate everything. Those were the days.

Another service-problem note: I'd love to switch my internet provider to WildBlue satellite, but we lost our local WildBlue tech person, so now, if a local WildBlue subscriber need service or help, he has to wait for the nearest WildBlue serviceman to come--from Spokane, Washington--a 6-hour drive from us.

Carolyn
Wayne and Carolyn Mathews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 07:43 AM   #26
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
I think it all has to do with work ethic. Our generation didn't mind working for our pay. The younger generation simply wants to "get by". I have my own opinion as to where it came from, but I don't think I should post it on this forum.
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 09:18 AM   #27
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
These post have reminded me to be more cautious when using contractors or sub contractors. We have not had a problem. We have had contractors and sub contractors set to us by Apollo and Keystone on several occasions over the last three years and all were professional, knowledgeable and did a good job. We have never had the occasion to use directv tech services or contractors but the customer service folks have always been satisfactory. We do have problems with Verizon tech services but that is my fault in that my primary language is American English and I have a problem communication with folks who do not have a command of that language. We resort to the 3g store for our tech needs and those folks speak the language mostly better than I do and are knowledgeable. As for the younger generation at my age most everyone is of the younger generation and the vast majority of them seem to do a good job.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote