Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 07-10-2008, 06:43 AM   #1
Dustytuu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2975
Advantages and Disadvantage of Diesel power engine

I got this from a RV tech news letter I receive. I thought this was interesting. Most of us know this.

Advantages & Disadvantages
of Diesel–Engine Power

Advantages of Diesel–Engine Power

Durability
The engine is designed to operate continuously under sever conditions at full power. For owners who plan to keep a motorhome for many years and roll up lots of miles, diesel is the obvious choice.

Torque
Diesel–engine horsepower ratings may appear low when compared to gas engines of the same displacement, but torque is the overriding performance factor in heavy vehicles. Torque is defined as twisting force applied to the driveshaft and hence to the wheels, propelling the coach. Higher torque means more energy applied to the wheels. Diesels produce high torque at low engine rpm, providing a strong, steady driving force.

Economy
A gallon of diesel fuel contains more energy than a gallon of gasoline, and the diesel engine makes better use of it via higher compression. Diesels get better fuel mileage than gasoline engines under the same weight and road conditions. Of course, the buyer must pay more for the diesel engine at the outset, which must be amortized by the fuel savings.

Resale Value
A diesel–powered coach usually holds its value better than a gasoline–powered unit, reflecting the diesel's durability and fuel efficiency and its higher purchase price.

Disadvantages of Diesel–Engine Power

Cost
The cost to manufacture a heavy–duty diesel engine is several times that of a gasoline engine because compression in diesel engines is very high (20:1). Another factor that raises the price of diesel coaches is the additional cost of a heavier–duty transmissions, which is necessitated by the higher torque output of the engine. Made by Allison Transmission, the units have four, five, or six speeds, depending on the torque output of the engine.

Noise
Diesel engines produce a higher level of noise than gas engines, although while traveling, the noise is isolated from the driver and passenger in rear–engine motorhomes. This noise may be difficult to tolerate for some, but it's music to ears of others.

Braking
Diesel engines do not offer as much compression braking force (drag) as gas engines do, and speed retarders are fitted either to the engine or transmission. The engine–mounted units are exhaust brakes, essentially turning the engine into a compressor, and the transmission–mounted units retard speed hydraulically.

Maintenance
Diesel fuel produces more combustion byproducts than gasoline, and the crankcase usually contains more than twice the oil capacity of a gasoline engine, raising the cost of maintenance. The price of engine components is higher for diesels than for gas engines, as is repair work; neglecting maintenance can be very expensive.

Dustytuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 06:54 AM   #2
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
I like the part about music to the ears!!!
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 08:19 AM   #3
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
I don't know of any disadvantage of owning a Diesel. Just a example, how many over the road Trucks Class 8, 18 wheelers do you see pulling with gas engines, I don't think you will see many at all. Torq is the answer with the HP, the Diesel provides more low end Torq, lot less RPMs to get the Job done. Less RPMS means better fuel mileage. If we good stop the Government from forceing the Big Three to put more garabge on the engines we would be getting better than 20 mpg with the Diesel engines. But to satisfy the Tree Huggers the Government is still making us waste more fuel for nothing. Dustytuu good post. GBY.....
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 09:06 AM   #4
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Dustytuu,

Good information you posted. Thanks.

As a true blue er..... green.... tree hugger I appreciate the cleaner air. Even if it is not as clean as it should be can you imagine where it would be if we didn't have rules and regulations! At least it's been a few years since any of our rivers caught on fire!

So I may complain about some of the "hoops" that the govt has us jumping through but I want a clean environment.

Thanks again for posting the diesel info.

HamRad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 10:47 AM   #5
hazmic
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4962
Hamrad If you think that our rivers are clean,then come to Cedar Rapids and look at what the river left in all the flooded homes and business. To be inside of the buildings you must wear protective suits and masks because of the bad things that floated in. I will take my diesel truck any day. More power and pulls the Montana just fine down the road.
hazmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 12:12 PM   #6
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Hazmic,

I did not mean to imply that our rivers were clean just improved from 20 years ago. That was what I meant when I made reference to rivers that would catch on fire because they were so contaminated. No. We have a long way to go before we get things cleaned up. And the problem is that there are so many out there that don't want to see ANY environmental laws or regulations and want to allow drilling anywhere.

So while I do see some improvement from the "bad old days" it seems that we are going backwards on many fronts. I am not overly optimistic about improvement in the future but am hoping for the best.

HamRad

Old 07-10-2008, 05:32 PM   #7
sailer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6977
I have never seen a train that is run on a gas powered motor. i think thats says it all , as far as the tree lovers , well some of them are the worst poluters as they never shut off there cars as it mite be too cold or too warm out side , we have to get back to comon sence sailer
sailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 07:31 PM   #8
jjackflash
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7787
Disadvantage- Noise? Just listen to a Duramax!
Jack
jjackflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 08:40 PM   #9
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Well I guess I'd better reply to the "tree lovers" comment..... Oops.... can't do it right now I left my car running with the AC on and I've got to go out and sit in it! Just Common Sense you know. Guess that just proves that the comment is correct.... us "tree lovers" are the some of the worst polluters on the planet! Now there's a common sense statement.

HamRad
Old 07-11-2008, 03:31 AM   #10
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
I do not recall seeing many diesel trucks on the road in the 50's. My Dad never had any.Most trucks were gas.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 11:38 AM   #11
skypilot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1846
I don't remember a whole lot of traffic of any type out there in the 50s (of course, I don't remember a whole lot of my early, early childhood (toddler years ) but I was watching a 'History channel' show not long ago and diesels have been around for a long, long time. But they were mostly BIG trucks (semi class) and then the railroad engines. We didn't really see consumer level vehicles until the mid 70s as I recall... who remembers the VW Diesel Rabbit Pickup???? Datson had a diesel as did Isusu at that same time. But nothing in our 3/4 and 1 ton class that I remember. I think the first diesel in that class was probably GMs conversion for the early full size Blazers and pickups that the military had; civilian usage around then was the diesel Toronado. Oh well, so much for memory dump - made me tired, time for a soda / ice tea.....
skypilot is offline   Reply With Quote