Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 12-18-2007, 02:38 AM   #1
Allen in MT
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7615
How many of you

How many of you are treasure hunters, travel with a metal detector and do a little coin and relic or nugget hunting as a past time. I have seen many RV'ers using them over the years and really enjoy the hobby myself, rewardind and good exercise to.
Allen

Allen in MT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 03:00 AM   #2
gpats
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7742
I have two detectors and both are Tosoro---I am still working so I only have weekends to enjoy them---where I live(Texas Panhandle)there isn't much to hunt except coins and I am happy just being able to be out with my headset on and forget that the world is out there--I always have a detector with me when I travel just in case--
gpats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 03:12 AM   #3
deadeye
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6693
I have a Fisher CZ-5 Quicksilver that I have had for a number of years, (about 7 yrs). I enjoy hunting ,but I do mine in a park that is next to my stick home. I have never taken it on the road with me. Might have to do that. I also use a Vibra-Probe 460 automatic pinpointing detector....Works nice around park snack bars that are closed in the off season...JB
deadeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 02:09 AM   #4
Joe-n-Doe
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7870
Thought about getting one for years, but have never got around to it. Might be something I ask for on my birthday....got a new Monty for Christmas. We live in a beach community and it would be fun to use at the beach. FYI, I know of one local lock smith who uses one when called to the beach to help folks who have lost their keys and are locked out of their vehicle.
Joe-n-Doe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 02:42 AM   #5
LonnieB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6150
Send a message via MSN to LonnieB
I have had my Bounty Hunter for a couple of years, but I never think to take it anywhere. I've messed around in the yard at my house with it some but never found much other than a few nails, lots of .22 casings, and a chewing out for digging in the yard .
Someday I would like to take it out and use it for what it is designed to do, but as gpats said, the pickins are slim in the Texas Panhandle.
LonnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 03:03 AM   #6
deadeye
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6693
I have gone to the fairgrounds after the five day fair is over and found a lot of coins. Dimes, nichols, penneys. Not many quarters. Once in a while you get one. I find a lot of the old type pop tops and my son and grandson has used it to find their arrows as they are archers. Great for that in a deer season. I used to do it, but can't see well enough any more. Leave it for the younger folks...JB
deadeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 03:28 AM   #7
gpats
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7742
When I bought my first detector the dealer told me that it would take a coupler of years of use to really learn what it is telling you--he was right,it takes a lot of use and digging to know how to use it--my advice is to buy a good one, use it a lot, dig all signals and compare the find to what the unit is telling you, and BE PATIENT!!!!!
School yards are a very good place to start using a detector since there is almost always a lot of trash metal and pennies--don't expect to find a lot of good stuff at first and just enjoy being out and getting the excerise--
gpats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 04:01 AM   #8
Allen in MT
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7615
I've been detecting for 38 years and still can't tell the signals apart. The rule of thumb is to dig all signals, I have found probably over 3000.00 in change and alot of good jewelry finds, My best find was $800.00 in a jar. School grounds, parks, beaches, anyplace people go always gets replentished with goodies. A number of rings I have been able to return to the owners, and I get called out to find things such as property pins, sprinkler heads, lost rings, keys etc. just a fun hobby and great exercise and I am alwasy cleaning up the trash I dig and then some to leave an area in better shape than I found it and always cover your holes.
Allen
Allen in MT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 05:21 AM   #9
jretz
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6321
I started Metal Detecting in the late 1960's with a Goldak TR detector. Our family spent quite a bit of time in the desert and prospecting. When I lived in San Diego in the 1980's I spent a much of my time at the beaches with my detector or at completion hunts, I also did a good bit of prospecting and rockhounding in the mountains and deserts of Southern California and Arizona. Over the years I have used and evaluated many different detectors. Over the last several years I have gotten away from detecting but now, with retirement, I hope to get back into detecting and rockhounding.
jretz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 07:19 AM   #10
Pete Hanson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3543
As I get ready for retirement in a year or so I have been thinking that this is a hobby I'd like to take up. I have a friend who does metal detecting and he has found lots of artifacts from the 1700's and 1800's around our little town here in Massachusets. Things like musket balls, old coins etc. I may be looking for some advice on equipment so now I know who to go to.
Pete Hanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 09:39 AM   #11
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
I have the Garrett GTI 1500. I have found all kinds of junk including a can very old can of Vienna sausages about 10 inches down in the Arizona Desert. They were still sealed and looked as good as new.. I will do some treasure hunting here in Florida.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote