Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 12-02-2007, 05:43 AM   #1
Just148
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1043
SOME GASOLINE TIPS

This was forward to me by a friend.....
Hope this help us all.
Just 148

Al & Jackie Maassen

Pursue Health with Passion!

Add link cut by RBS-

SHARING WELLNESS SOLUTIONS

FOR LIFESTYLE CHALLENGES

When and how to Pump gas.... good things to know.
I've been in petroleum pipeline business for about 31 years, currently working for the Kinder-Morgan Pipeline here in San Jose , CA . We deliver about 4 million gallons in a 24-hour period from the pipe line; one day it's diesel, the next day it's jet fuel and gasoline. We have 34 storage tanks here with a total capacity of 16,800,000 gallons. Here are some tricks to help you get your money's worth:

1. Fill up your car or truck in the morning when the temperature is still cool. Remember that all service stations have their storage tanks buried below ground; and the colder the ground, the denser the gasoline. When it gets warmer gasoline expands, so if you're filling up in the afternoon or in the evening, what should be a gallon is not exactly a gallon. In the petroleum business, the specific gravity and temperature of the fuel (gasoline, diesel, jet fuel, ethanol and other petroleum products) are significant. Every truckload that we load is temperature-compensated so that the indicated gallon gage is actually the amount pumped. A one-degree rise in temperature is a big deal for businesses, but service stations don't have temperature compensation at their pumps.

2. If a tanker truck is filling the station's tank at the time you want to buy gas, do not fill up; most likely dirt and sludge in the tank is being stirred up when gas is being delivered, and you might be transferring that dirt from the bottom of their tank into your car's tank.

3. Fill up when your gas tank is half-full (or half-empty), because the more gas you have in your tank the less air there is and gasoline evaporates rapidly, especially when it's warm. (Gasoline storage tanks have an internal floating 'roof' membrane to act as a barrier between the gas and the atmosphere, thereby minimizing evaporation.)

4. If you look at the trigger you'll see that it has three delivery settings: slow, medium and high. When you're filling up do not squeeze the trigger of the nozzle to the high setting. You should be pumping at the slow setting, thereby minimizing vapors created while you are pumping. Hoses at the pump are corrugated; the corrugations act as a return path for vapor recovery from gas that already has been metered. If you are pumping at the high setting, the agitated gasoline contains more vapor, which is being sucked back into the underground tank, so you're getting less gas for your money. Hope this will help ease your 'pain at the pump' PASS THIS ON- so that others may know too.

Just148 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 10:40 AM   #2
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Interesting info, thanks.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 12:03 PM   #3
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
Just 148,

I had no idea...thank you.
simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 12:08 PM   #4
DHenry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #496
Now that is great information, thanks for posting it.
DHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 01:01 PM   #5
TheRanch
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #6226
Wow! Thanks for the info.
TheRanch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 01:26 PM   #6
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
It's suprising the information I continue to learn on this forum. As a pilot, I always knew about fuel expansion but never thought of it when it came to my vehicles. This is good to know and thank you very much for sharing this info with us.
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 12:51 AM   #7
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Thanks for that helpful info. I had heard of #1 before, but not the other 3.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 01:20 AM   #8
mail2us
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6920
Thanks for the info. I had a minor experience with a tanker driver. I was getting ready to refuel and was in his way so I moved from the area. He came over an thanked me cause it was his last haul for the day. He noticed I was using diesel and indicated I may want to wait as the fuel could get stirred up while he loaded the tanks. He also related the info about fueling in the AM was better. Dennis
mail2us is offline   Reply With Quote