Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 02-18-2007, 02:39 AM   #1
BirdingRVer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5740
Newbie Saga Day 2

I think I am getting a handle on this RV life.

Yesterday up at 7 AM, a pot of coffee, surf the Internet (free wifi), a little Good Morning America, breakfast, shower and then finally at 10 AM ready to take the dog for a stroll around the RV Park. After the walk, lunch, read, nap, dinner a little TV and then bed.

Is this what full timers really do all day?

There are 6 Montana 5th wheels and 1 mountaineer 5th wheel here in the RV Park. None have any obvious MOC bumper stickers or license plate frames. Only one of the Montana owners was actually outside so I could talk to him. Turns out he has a 3075RL like I do and he is on first trip. He has friends here with a SOB to show him the ropes. It is a small world in that back home we live about 10 miles apart and he bought his 3075 at the dealer we hated. He was every happy with the deal he got so, I guess it is just the luck of who you get as your sales guy. Interesting though he has a leak in his hydraulic pump seal. Are hydraulic leaks that common?

PS. Yesterday's high was 83

BirdingRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 02:52 AM   #2
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Fulltiming is what you make of it. I can handle 2 or 3 days like the ones you describe. Then I got to find a project, a mountain to climb, or some place interesting to visit. For me, fulltiming is all about choosing what I do and when.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 04:54 AM   #3
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Sounds like you are getting a handle on full timing.. We take advantage of the RV park activities. Helen is into Rock hunting and I am into digging up junk with my metal detector so we spend about one day a week wandering around in the barren Desert with a bunch of other nuts doing the same thing. We do at least one day a week of visiting points of interest in the area. Since we are in Apache Junction, Az there are a lot of those. The leaking line has not been a common problem as far as I can recall..however it has been reported as of late. If a few folks on this forum report a few line problems the chances are there are a lot more out there. Perhaps a bad run by the vendor... I would call Keystone and check it out.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 07:03 AM   #4
nailbender
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5811
I am not a full or part timer, but I would sure like to try it, especially the eat, nap, eat, nap, eat, sleep part.
Seriously, it sounds like you are having a lot of fun, continue to enjoy it for a long time.
nailbender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 08:12 AM   #5
rickety
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4855
I'm with Stiles, it's what you make of it. I'm good for 3 days laying around then I have to do something. Soooo, I sit up for a while, just kidding, I work on models, walk a little,(as much as my back will let me) and cook. It's eally a lot of fun.
rickety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 08:22 AM   #6
Cat320
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5751
I'm like Stiles, too. I can take that sitting around for a day or so then I have to go do or get into something.

Make sure all your hydraulic fittings are tight
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 09:24 AM   #7
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Sounds like you are adjusting to your new RV lifestyle very well. Enjoy, you've earned it!
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 02:41 PM   #8
BirdingRVer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5740
What a difference a day makes!

Yesterday the high was 83, today it was 60. So it wasn't a day for sitting out on the lounge chairs but, it was a good day for reading and napping. The wind has come up this evening so we are getting a chance to listen to the toppers in the wind.

Our fulltiming days are aways off yet (our youngest is still at home) but, this has been great practice. We are feeling real good about how everything works in the Monty and are personalizing it to make it home.

We head back home tomorrow and then back to work for a few weeks before a two week trip down to the desert.

The general idea is to wear it out before you pay it off, isn't it?
BirdingRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 01:51 AM   #9
VanMan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9
Wear it out so you can get a new one with whatever new they can think up next !!
VanMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 08:31 AM   #10
DonandJudy_12
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3206
we do what you do, minus walking the dog- it's a great life, is it not? Don
DonandJudy_12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 05:21 AM   #11
keham
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3778
I had the Hydraulic leak at the pump reservoir connection. Dale (MiMF2)got it repaired also said it has 5 year warranty from lippert. Check the search as dale posted on it and why on some and not others. I did notice on mine it leaked during the winter storage, (unheated storage garage) may have had something to do with it. But what I did notice, was that they only used two mounting bolts on the bracket, both on the same side. What the Mechanic did when they replaced was to insure bolts were used on both sides of bracket to stop any torque twist and bouncing effect. And also used some foam to help support the plastic tank underneath. So far no leaks this storage season and there has been more up and down temp shifts then last year. I feel it will last now.

ken
keham is offline   Reply With Quote