Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 02-09-2007, 08:05 AM   #21
William H. Collier
Montana Master

M.O.C. #798
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by rickety

Yep, beat to death.
Ditto

William H. Collier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 01:11 PM   #22
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Cat, I have to respectfully both agree and disagree with you. I agree it does not change the GVWR numbers on the door. Nothing changes that. A chip in the engine does not change the official HP and torque. It only increases performance. Beefing up suspension on an F250 does not change the official GVWR. It only increases the performance, the ability of the truck to handle additional weight. Other factors have to be considered, of course, as the actual ability will still be no more than the weakest link. Increasing capacity of the rear suspension does, in fact, increase the ability of that suspension to handle additional weight but must also be limited by other factors, including axle, tires, brakes, etc. Given that those things are the same in the F250 (with the optional tires) and F350, well, it's pretty clear to me.

I also see no abnormal wear. The wheel bearings are the originals, never repacked. The brake pads are all original. Not close to needing replacing. Etc. The OEM tires were replaced at 70k miles with a few thousand miles of tread left and a flat wear pattern. The truck has 76k miles.

With this let's once again do a gentlemen's agreement to agree to disagree since neither of us is going to change the other's mind. Mine is from practical experience in many miles of towing heavy fifths. Your point of view is just as legit to you. We are each correct in our own minds.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 01:24 PM   #23
Wrenchtraveller
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4890
Amen
Wrenchtraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 01:58 PM   #24
Cat320
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5751
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by sreigle

Cat, I have to respectfully both agree and disagree with you. I agree it does not change the GVWR numbers on the door. Nothing changes that. A chip in the engine does not change the official HP and torque. It only increases performance. Beefing up suspension on an F250 does not change the official GVWR. It only increases the performance, the ability of the truck to handle additional weight. Other factors have to be considered, of course, as the actual ability will still be no more than the weakest link. Increasing capacity of the rear suspension does, in fact, increase the ability of that suspension to handle additional weight but must also be limited by other factors, including axle, tires, brakes, etc. Given that those things are the same in the F250 (with the optional tires) and F350, well, it's pretty clear to me.

I also see no abnormal wear. The wheel bearings are the originals, never repacked. The brake pads are all original. Not close to needing replacing. Etc. The OEM tires were replaced at 70k miles with a few thousand miles of tread left and a flat wear pattern. The truck has 76k miles.

With this let's once again do a gentlemen's agreement to agree to disagree since neither of us is going to change the other's mind. Mine is from practical experience in many miles of towing heavy fifths. Your point of view is just as legit to you. We are each correct in our own minds.
Okay, Steve, I'll agree to disagree...we have about beat this to death. Just remember, weight limits (under or over) are like being pregnant...you either are or you aren't!
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote