Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 10-13-2005, 03:31 PM   #1
Mac
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4624
Extended Warranty???

Well it's done and the buyers remorse is already fading. We just got back with our brand new 2955 and didn't find anything wrong, YET. We are taking it out this weekend and then we might know more.

My question is this, they offered us a 7 year bumper to bumper warranty for about $1700 and I asked them if I could hold off until I talked to a couple friends. So............... I'm asking about 4000 of my new closest friends what are your thoughts? The only extended warranty I ever purchased on a car was a wasted and never covered anything that broke. Just wanted to know what all of your thoughts were.

Let me know and as always THANKS, you are indeed my friends!

mac

Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2005, 04:27 PM   #2
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
You'll get pros and cons on this. Some people believe in them and others don't. I for one am glad we did.

We purchased it in 2000 for $1200 when we bought our Montana and it has paid off. The refrigerator failed last year and the warranty paid $1060 to repair it. We also had a hydraulic fitting fail which had to be replaced in 2001 which cost $300 including labor.

ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2005, 06:22 PM   #3
mobilrvn
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2056
You pay your money and you take your chances. First, everything is getting more expensive and labor rates only go up. Second, you may be able to negotiate the price of the extended warranty. I did on my truck and the Montana. At the rate our Montana is falling apart, sure that we will come out ahead.
mobilrvn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2005, 01:30 AM   #4
gkbutler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4049
Send a message via MSN to gkbutler Send a message via Yahoo to gkbutler
To us it is like buying an extended warranty on a new vehicle. Wouldn't be without it. Hopefully we won't ever need it, but in case we do, our bank account won't suffer.
gkbutler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2005, 01:31 AM   #5
Bill and Ann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1493
We have the extended warranty on our unit. Haven't used it yet, but.....
Bill and Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2005, 01:42 AM   #6
old turbo
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2486
Tell the dealer you will buy the extended warranty five days before your factory one expires. Why tie up your money for a year and carry extra coverage before you can ever use it. Dealer sells you extra coverage at the time of purcahase, you know their has to be a money scam going on why else wouuld they want to tie up your money for a year . You can only use the extended insurance when your factory one expires.
old turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2005, 03:22 AM   #7
drhowell
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3628
I am not a believer in extended warranty's. It is an insurance policy period! Some extended warranty's are not worth the paper they are written on so read it and understand what you are buying. Especially if you are far from the dealer when you need to use it.

I have a problem when you sign the papers on a new vehicle and they start the "and for this much extra we can add undercoating, or sealer, or extended warranty, etc." Hell I haven't even taken possession and they are already telling me it is not a quality product. I do not have any patience when dealing with those type people. I treat them like telephone solicitors and cut them off before they finish their spiel. Whey do they always make the offer at signing and in some cases, if you don't take it then it is not available later?

Orv says he paid $1200 for the policy and he has received $1360 back from the investment. Lets see if he had put the original $1200 into a savings acct he may have even made money.

Here is my theory on the subject. I am buying a product at a list price near $50,000. For that amount of money I am shopping carefully and I expect the product I buy to last awhile. I expect the company that manufactures it to stand behind their product for at least the usual 2 years and sometimes 3 years depending on how proud they are of their product. During that time I expect to find all the bugs and poor quality equipment. If down the road I find an issue that was directly related to the original manufacturer I will pursue them until I receive satisfaction. In Keystone's case, they seem to be accommodating and tend to stand behind their product. At least most people have had positive results.

So as you can see there are both pros and cons. I am a con. I have however been looking at something like the Good Sam roadside assistance policy and the like for older out of warranty equipment. It makes some sense to me for this type policy instead of buying an extended warranty 2 to 3 years before it takes effect.
drhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2005, 03:39 AM   #8
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
I had it on one trailer but not on this one. Notice the Dealer is selling the extended warrenty, not Keystone. They do not do that unless they can make money. Most important as said above, read the detailes very close. Do not assume anything is covered unless you see it in writing. Especially the fine print. I felt there were too may exceptions. The best comment is it is insurance. Your betting you need it and the dealer is betting you will not and the underwriter just quotes the fine print when needed.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2005, 03:54 AM   #9
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Re: extended warranty...My bet, considering the quality of Rv's these days is that you will need the extended warranty.We will do our homework on the extended warranty and buy one...I expect the best from our new Montana and keystone but will prepare for the worst.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2005, 05:00 AM   #10
mike johnson
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3382
hello,we purchased an extended warranty on our05-2955.we did not get the 7 year one ,we bought the 5 year and saved i think $500.00,it might be worth your while to check out the 5 year rate.
mike johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2005, 05:06 AM   #11
315RLS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1900
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Mac

they offered us a 7 year bumper to bumper warranty for about $1700 and I asked them if I could hold off until I talked to a couple friends. So....
I'm curious if this warranty is good at any dealer or limited to the dealer who sells it? Is it transferable?
315RLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2005, 11:15 AM   #12
Mac
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4624
Transferable, I believe they said, I think it's an interesting thought to wait until the Montana warranty expires. I've just not had good luck with the two I've owned but never on a trailer. The other thing is I believe that some of the people responding that they would recommend it are probably full timers or at least a heavier user than I, just my guess not sure.

Now I'm really confused, my support group is split about down the middle for buy or not buy, what to do.
Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2005, 01:01 PM   #13
drhowell
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3628
I recently went through this when we purchased a new Tahoe. The dealership had this specific person that does the finish paperwork and she gave us the "Its late in the day and I should have gone home 1/2 hour ago but I stayed to help you. I am going to offer you the fleet rate on the extended warranty. Don't tell my boss because I am not supposed to give you the fleet rate. It will save you $400 over the standard rate." I asked a few questions and she got irritated with me. When I told her Chevrolet must think they have a poor product if they are pushing the extended warranty so hard, she started throwing papers. Anyway the warranty was not worth the money and I wasn't allowed to consider it and get back to her in a couple days. I had to understand it and make the decision on the spot. I made the decision not to buy it and she left before the ink was dry.

I found out later that I made the correct decision. My son works at that dealership and said he would not recommend their warranty, that it had limited coverage and only paid for a portion of the total repair.

So the point again is read it carefully and make sure you understand how it works and where it works. If it is an extension of the original factory warranty and only take effect at the end of the original warranty you should be able to purchase it just before it expires for the same rate quoted at purchase and keep your money for another 2 or 3 years.
drhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2005, 01:32 PM   #14
mike johnson
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3382
when we traded in our coachman 5er,the dealer told us it was transferable,then he told us we could get a refund on the unused time ,and that's what we did and recieved a refund of about $800.00.they did not like doing it but my wife was very percistant and they gave us our refund.good luck
mike johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2005, 02:16 AM   #15
Garin1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2773
That comes to about $250.00 per year. It is not likely you will have any repair bills that low with an average hourly of $60.00. If you have any type of repairs it is usually expensive and the warranty pays for itself.
Garin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2005, 02:45 AM   #16
On The Road Again
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1725
An extended warranty is truly just like an insurance policy...you may need it and you may not, however, if you do, it can surely be a blessing for repair or replacement of expensive items.
I was never offered one by my dealer on my 2004 3280 RL, however, I purchased one from Good Sam Continued Service Plan which covers just about anything that could go wrong or break. I'm presently paying $36 a month with $100 deductible. Since in the past I've had a refrigerator go bad and it cost me $1200 to have a new one installed, I feel it's worth the monthly premium. I know everone wouldn't agree or feel the same way about this issue, but, to me it's peace of mind if and when something does go bad.
Marshall
On The Road Again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005, 07:58 AM   #17
Bob & Lee
Montana Master

M.O.C. #718
I didn't buy the Extended Warranty when I bought my unit but just paid $250 to have my heater to be repaired. warranty for 2years and 2 weeks later broke.Am now shopping, looked at one at www.warrantyexperts.com and got a quote of 5 yrs $766. 6 yrs $820. and 7 yrs $ 840. still shopping just search the INTERNET and you will get a lot of companys and like all have said READ THE FINE PRINT. This one if you don't claim anything in the term you get all your money back. When I read the offer it has what is not covered I read that but don't assume that everything else is covered read the other half of what is covered and compare. like stated, decide in the long run which is cheeper and if you even need it.
Bob & Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2005, 04:54 AM   #18
Bob & Lee
Montana Master

M.O.C. #718
Now I have 3 estimates, has anyone had experance with any of these Warranty Experts, Best RV Warrranty, Warranty Service Company Rates and deductible about the same. anyone have any good or bad things about these.
Bob & Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2005, 08:03 AM   #19
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
I went with the "Choice" company extended warranty on my coach. It was a 7 yr deal with $50 deductible covering bumper to kingpin and anything else I had installed by my dealership would be automatically covered throughtout the seven years. Total cost was $1195. I have a few good friends who work at rv dealerships and they sell everything from $750,000 motor homes to travel trailers and all three of them use and sell "The Choice" plan. I figured since I did not buy from them and they are still recommending the company, it must be a good one. I also was not required to buy this warranty at time of purchase, the cost was the same as long as I made sure I bought it within the first year while the coach was under factory warranty, I waited till the 11 month and bought it then.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote