Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 05-07-2020, 05:29 AM   #41
Baldicon
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20906
Very happy it has worked out for you, and will keep our fingers crossed that they have this repair perfected. Dropped mine off a week ago, but all I have heard is that there was a screw missing under the edge trim right where it was moving, plus a few more loose screws. So were the screws allowing the the movement, or did the movement create the missing/loose screws. Sounds like you found a good repair shop. I'll let you know what they determine.

Old 05-07-2020, 08:27 AM   #42
FreeRoamn
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19387
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baldicon View Post
Very happy it has worked out for you, and will keep our fingers crossed that they have this repair perfected. Dropped mine off a week ago, but all I have heard is that there was a screw missing under the edge trim right where it was moving, plus a few more loose screws. So were the screws allowing the the movement, or did the movement create the missing/loose screws. Sounds like you found a good repair shop. I'll let you know what they determine.
I would push back and show what happens hitched and unhitched with the movement. That has nothing to do with a loose screw(s) and everything to do with the frame/wall between the pin box and landing gear. There should not be movement.

Wishing you the best outcome!
Old 05-07-2020, 11:28 AM   #43
SteveandTerri
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #22227
Reducing Shock to my Rig

Quote:
Originally Posted by allenclme View Post
So I plan to take my 2017 3820FK on the road when we retire in 2 years. I have not had too many issues thus far and no frame flex. Worst problem was the collapsed AC ducts which once I knew how to fix, was a piece of cake. So here's the question - Does the Morryde independent suspension reduce the shocks on the trailer and hopefully go from a 7.0 earthquake to a 3.0? Will a suspension upgrade prolong the life of the RV? Thanks in advance
We did 3 things to reduce the energy that could be transmitted to our 5er due to rough roads: (a) replaced the Pin Box with an AirRide box, (b) installed air bags on the truck (so the rear suspension compresses no more than about 1/3 of its range of travel when the 5er is hitched up), and (c) replaced the 305RL's leaf-spring suspension with IS.

The benefits: (a) the AirRide box absorbs some of the shock/energy/motion transmitted by the truck, (b) having the truck suspension ride in the upper part of its range of travel allows it to absorb larger bumps without bottoming-out, and (c) the IS has a greater range of travel than the spindly, lame leaf-spring suspension that came with the 5er.... and it's a whole lot stronger and stable.

We went cross-country and put 8,000 miles on the rig last year with no issues... Keeping our fingers crossed....
SteveandTerri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 12:38 PM   #44
Baldicon
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20906
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeRoamn View Post
Two and half weeks later I just picked up my 2017 3160RL after the repair and all is great, solid with very little hassle. I dropped rig off on a Saturday, service manager knew right off the bat that I had the broken weld, sidewall, frame flex issue. They communicated first thing on Monday with Keystone on the dealer support side, I contacted the customer support for the second time via email asking for coverage of the repair. That same day the dealer said the repairs were approved and would be covered. Yay!

Then, I received a reply on Tuesday from Keystone denying the repair because "there is an unauthorized hitch on the bumper of the unit. Keystone does not recommend pulling anything behind the unit."

I have a Curt bolt-on hitch receiver on my rear tube bumper to attached A two bicycle bike rack. I sent a reply with photos of the bike rack along with the fact there is no trailer wiring harness receptacle to tow anything, and why it would be crazy for me to double tow ANYTHING behind my trailer. A day later they said the repairs were now approved. Long story short, two weeks later I have my Montana back and it looks fantastic. The only sign of a repair is some fresh Dicor on the Cap/Roof seam and a new short seam in the sidewall, in the upper left corner of the bedroom slide. All looks factory fresh. The repair entailed re-welding joints, adding gussets in corners and putting wood filler strips/boards into the bottom tubes where the wall attaches to the frame. See attached TSB.

At the end of the day for others, especially shoppers of a Montana or other Keystone product.
1. Find a good dealer. I tried my local dealer and ended up two hours away at Folsom Lake RV in Rancho Cordova, CA. Family-owned, no games, very efficient, and they stand behind their customers.
2. Keep an eye on the forums to stay up on any issues. I almost thought mine was not a big deal and for a second was going to wait for it to get worse until I read up on this issue.
3. This issue appears to not be just a Keystone issue but looks like the same/similar issue has occurred on other brands and many other years of rigs.
4. My guess is this is not super widespread compared to the number of rigs on the road, but if it happens to yours its no fun.
5. Finally, I would not hesitate to buy another Montana in the future.

Attached are the final photos, sorry no photos of repairs themselves.
Did you buy your camper from the dealer that repaired it? Sounds like you got exceptional service.
Old 05-07-2020, 01:05 PM   #45
FreeRoamn
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19387
Quote:
Did you buy your camper from the dealer that repaired it? Sounds like you got exceptional service.
Yes, the same dealer we bought it from.

Long story, started RV'n in 2009 with a brand I'll say is a step down from the Montana line up. We had a pretty good experience with the trailer but the dealer played games when signing paperwork. After 8 years we were hooked and started looking to sell ours and upgrade to a Montana. We spent months researching and even attended the Tampa RV show in January of 2017.

By spring we knew exactly what we wanted and started to visit dealers starting with ones closest to us. It was a terrible shopping experience with salespeople trying to get you to buy what is on the lot even though it was not the model or floor plan we wanted or they would not come close on best pricing.

We ended up at a dealer 2 hours away and from the sales to the service, we have been completely satisfied and I would recommend them in heartbeat and I don't care that I have to drive 2hrs each way for service, it's worth it for me.
Old 05-07-2020, 07:07 PM   #46
Charlie 3931fb
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25947
Quote:
I have the start of what appears to be separation on the seam that runs straight down bottom of the left side of the bedroom slide-out to the beginning of the nose on my trailer. I noticed a couple of months ago a small gap in the silicone sealant and this is what it looks like now.

Is this just normal flexing on a 3-year-old 3160RL or just a sign of something far worse? Do I get the silicone sealant out or whisky bottle?

Let me know when you take out the whiskey bottle, I will join you.
Charlie 3931fb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 01:21 PM   #47
Baldicon
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20906
Did anyone that has gone through this frame flex, see movement from extending the bedroom slide in our out? Dealer send me a video saying there is no movement when the extend/retract the bedroom slide.
Old 05-08-2020, 02:04 PM   #48
Baldicon
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20906
Quote:
Two and half weeks later I just picked up my 2017 3160RL after the repair and all is great, solid with very little hassle. I dropped rig off on a Saturday, service manager knew right off the bat that I had the broken weld, sidewall, frame flex issue. They communicated first thing on Monday with Keystone on the dealer support side, I contacted the customer support for the second time via email asking for coverage of the repair. That same day the dealer said the repairs were approved and would be covered. Yay!

Then, I received a reply on Tuesday from Keystone denying the repair because "there is an unauthorized hitch on the bumper of the unit. Keystone does not recommend pulling anything behind the unit."

I have a Curt bolt-on hitch receiver on my rear tube bumper to attached A two bicycle bike rack. I sent a reply with photos of the bike rack along with the fact there is no trailer wiring harness receptacle to tow anything, and why it would be crazy for me to double tow ANYTHING behind my trailer. A day later they said the repairs were now approved. Long story short, two weeks later I have my Montana back and it looks fantastic. The only sign of a repair is some fresh Dicor on the Cap/Roof seam and a new short seam in the sidewall, in the upper left corner of the bedroom slide. All looks factory fresh. The repair entailed re-welding joints, adding gussets in corners and putting wood filler strips/boards into the bottom tubes where the wall attaches to the frame. See attached TSB.

At the end of the day for others, especially shoppers of a Montana or other Keystone product.
1. Find a good dealer. I tried my local dealer and ended up two hours away at Folsom Lake RV in Rancho Cordova, CA. Family-owned, no games, very efficient, and they stand behind their customers.
2. Keep an eye on the forums to stay up on any issues. I almost thought mine was not a big deal and for a second was going to wait for it to get worse until I read up on this issue.
3. This issue appears to not be just a Keystone issue but looks like the same/similar issue has occurred on other brands and many other years of rigs.
4. My guess is this is not super widespread compared to the number of rigs on the road, but if it happens to yours its no fun.
5. Finally, I would not hesitate to buy another Montana in the future.

Attached are the final photos, sorry no photos of repairs themselves.
I assume they did find broken welds?
Old 05-08-2020, 06:25 PM   #49
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Keystone repaired that problem on our 06 3400 without hesitation.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 07:13 PM   #50
FreeRoamn
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19387
Quote:
I assume they did find broken welds?
Yes they did in the wall stud.
Old 05-08-2020, 07:14 PM   #51
FreeRoamn
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19387
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie 3931fb View Post
Let me know when you take out the whiskey bottle, I will join you.
Sounds good!
Old 05-09-2020, 05:46 AM   #52
Baldicon
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20906
Quote:
Originally Posted by richfaa View Post
Keystone repaired that problem on our 06 3400 without hesitation.
When did the perform the repair, or how old was you trailer when the did the repair?