Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 04-16-2020, 11:10 AM   #1
FreeRoamn
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19387
Should I be concerned?

I have the start of what appears to be separation on the seam that runs straight down bottom of the left side of the bedroom slide-out to the beginning of the nose on my trailer. I noticed a couple of months ago a small gap in the silicone sealant and this is what it looks like now.

Is this just normal flexing on a 3-year-old 3160RL or just a sign of something far worse? Do I get the silicone sealant out or whisky bottle?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1020 copy 3.jpg
Views:	232
Size:	94.5 KB
ID:	6020  

Old 04-16-2020, 11:25 AM   #2
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
I don't know about yours, but I have come to the conclusion that when mine was advertised "full time living", I did not understand what that actually meant.

Yes, these Montana's ARE designed for full time LIVING, but they are NOT designed for full time TRAVELING! Park them in one spot and never move, and they are great. Travel with them and things fall apart!

Yes, get the whisky. Maybe a joint or two is in good order also!
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 12:18 PM   #3
Fish
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22281
I hope you're still within your 3 year frame warranty. I'd be turning it in soon.
Old 04-16-2020, 12:19 PM   #4
Gpwyatt
Established Member

M.O.C. #26106
To answer your question, I’d say YES. Hopefully it’s not too major. For folks new to RV’s I’d share from experience this personal observation. I would buy an Oliver Trailer if I were truly going to be mobile with an RV. Not very practical for a big family and yes, you would be living in a very small trailer but you would have much fewer structural issues to worry about. I bought a Montana to park and act as a second home and not tow very often understanding that dragging a house down the crappy roads in the US would not fair well over time.
Gpwyatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 05:30 PM   #5
jeffba
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20753
get a long straight edge and put it vertically on the side. If the wall is not straight, whiskey. I mean you most likely have frame flex
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat CCLB PSD DRW KJ5CQH
jeffba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 06:12 PM   #6
DadsHemi
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20472
There’s always some type of service to keep up, caulking, roof sealants etc.

2018 Ram 3500 MegaCab 4x4 Aisin, 4:10 Gears
Titan 50 Gal Tank, Air Lift Wireless Bags
2017 3160 RL
DadsHemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 06:42 PM   #7
mazboy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9561
get it in, you have a frame flex...just not sure how bad, but it will get worse.
mazboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 09:03 PM   #8
Montana Man
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21963
At the bottom of that vertical seam is a horizontal seam. Is the sealant along it broken? Does anything in these seams change hitched versus unhitched?
Old 04-16-2020, 09:08 PM   #9
FreeRoamn
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19387
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montana Man View Post
At the bottom of that vertical seam is a horizontal seam. Is the sealant along it broken? Does anything in these seams change hitched versus unhitched?
No, the bottom seam is in tact still. I talked to my dealer and sent the photo to them. I have not seen or had any other flexing issues except from day 1, the slidding closet doors have always slid to one side when the level up system showed level, leaving me to believe there may be a slight twist in the overhanging part of the 5th wheel front end.

Since mine is a 17' it only had a 1 year frame warranty but the dealer said first thing would be to bring it in and have them look at it before we assume its a bad frame.

Thank you ALL for the other responses and I will check the side with a straight edge ASAP. My trailer is stored elsewhere.
Old 04-17-2020, 09:17 AM   #10
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
It is NOT normal and MAY be the start of frame flex .I would call Keystone customer service explain the issue and send them a picture. They will no doubt ask for it.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2020, 03:15 PM   #11
FreeRoamn
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19387
Quote:
Originally Posted by richfaa View Post
It is NOT normal and MAY be the start of frame flex .I would call Keystone customer service explain the issue and send them a picture. They will no doubt ask for it.
Keystone no longer is answering their customer support phone line and asks for emails only until further notice.

I dropped off the trailer today at my dealer and they confirmed broken aluminum wall stud, known issue, they have already repaired 4 others. Major work with removing the front cap, welding, reinforcing, etc. Keystone is apparently fighting to avoid these types of repair issues that are related to manufacturing defects. But I hope to get a final answer by the end of next week. Repair is about a 23 hr job in case anyone else has a similar issue. You can tell by the bulge in the siding at the lower left corner of the bedroom slide where the wall seam is, along with the associated separation of the silicone sealant on the seam.

No one said owning an RV would be boring...It's always something...
Old 04-18-2020, 04:31 PM   #12
jeffba
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20753
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeRoamn View Post
Keystone no longer is answering their customer support phone line and asks for emails only until further notice.

I dropped off the trailer today at my dealer and they confirmed broken aluminum wall stud, known issue, they have already repaired 4 others. Major work with removing the front cap, welding, reinforcing, etc. Keystone is apparently fighting to avoid these types of repair issues that are related to manufacturing defects. But I hope to get a final answer by the end of next week. Repair is about a 23 hr job in case anyone else has a similar issue. You can tell by the bulge in the siding at the lower left corner of the bedroom slide where the wall seam is, along with the associated separation of the silicone sealant on the seam.

My experience was once diagnosed Keystone did not bat an eye at making the repair
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat CCLB PSD DRW KJ5CQH
jeffba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2020, 05:45 PM   #13
FreeRoamn
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19387
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffba View Post
My experience was once diagnosed Keystone did not bat an eye at making the repair
Thanks Jeff, I appreciate the vote of confidence in Keystone.
Old 04-22-2020, 02:33 PM   #14
saber707
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17531
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeRoamn View Post

Keystone paid for my broken stud even tho I was out of warranty about a year.
saber707 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 02:35 PM   #15
Lcwl
Established Member

M.O.C. #22128
FreeRoamn
I had the same thing happen to mine going to the fall rally in Goshen two years ago. Took it by the customer service center To get some other problems fixed and they said I had a break in the aluminum frame just about at the bottom of bedroom slide. They fixed it and did a great job on it. Their service tech really are really good to work with. Been two years now and still no problems.
Hope you have as good luck with them as I did.
Lcwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 02:55 PM   #16
FreeRoamn
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19387
UPDATE: I had a back and forth email with the Customer Support Manager at Keystone and they are covering my repair. I am glad that the supportive messages here about Keystone customer serivice have proven true in my case. My dealer, Folsom Lake RV in Rancho Cordova, CA has been stellar in helping me through this.

Once I get my rig back I will update with the results with photos. Thank you to those on the message boards here for your input and help!
Old 04-22-2020, 03:53 PM   #17
laverdur
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11972
My Monty has 85,000 miles on and I would not hesitate to hit the road on a 12,000 mile trip tomorrow. Sure, all RVs are rolling earthquakes. Sure, things will loosen up and need to be tightened or adjusted. It goes with the territory.
Old 04-22-2020, 07:33 PM   #18
simplyrob

M.O.C. #22667
Glad to see Keystone is doing the right thing
simplyrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 07:55 PM   #19
allenclme
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #23676
So I plan to take my 2017 3820FK on the road when we retire in 2 years. I have not had too many issues thus far and no frame flex. Worst problem was the collapsed AC ducts which once I knew how to fix, was a piece of cake. So here's the question - Does the Morryde independent suspension reduce the shocks on the trailer and hopefully go from a 7.0 earthquake to a 3.0? Will a suspension upgrade prolong the life of the RV? Thanks in advance
allenclme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2020, 04:52 AM   #20
foursooners2@gmail.com

M.O.C. #19711
Please call keystone
Mine did the same as yours
Mine was also a 2017 but keystone stepped up and repaired mine at no cost just picked it up in January
Some 17 also have a 3 yr frame warranty
Mine didn’t but since it was a known issue they covered it
Hope you get the same as I did
foursooners2@gmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote