Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 04-05-2020, 09:14 PM   #1
Mistress

M.O.C. #26058
Furrion cameras

2019 Montana HC 331RL, installed side cameras in place of side markers directly behind basement storage doors. Just realized that these lights are wired independently but can't figure out what activates them. Anyone have any ideas? I do have a couple extra switches inside that are not labeled but don't seem to do anything. Sure would be nice if Montana would offer some explanation of some of these things. The dealer doesn't seem to know anymore than I do.

Mistress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 11:33 PM   #2
Last2Die
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22986
Connect to tow vehicle, Turn on lights on tow vehicle, should power the marker lights.

Tony
2018 3920fb 2020 GMC Denali 3500 4x4 Duramax, 10 speed Allison. LB SRW, Firestone air bags with Airlift wireless onboard compressor. Anderson Ultimate Hitch. MX4 folding cover. 50gal titan in bed transfer tank. Onan 6500 lp genset installed by me ! Had: 2 HF 3500 Inverters with Parallel Kit
Last2Die is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 04:53 AM   #3
RMcNeal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25165
As Last2Die said, they are designed to be powered by the tow vehicle's head lights through the 7 pin connector. There is a hack that allows you to use a 15 amp blade type fuse to short 2 pins across the 7 pin connector to power the marker lights from the 5er's battery(ies). Look up on you tube. Basically, you just plug a 15 amp fuse across the the correct pins in your 5er's 7 pin connector and power will be fed from the 5er's battery to the marker lights.
RMcNeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 05:16 AM   #4
Mistress

M.O.C. #26058
Thanks gentleman. I am aware that it has to be connected and lights on. All the other lights some on and rear camera works. But the 2 side markers that I am referring to, do not illuminate. They appear to be wired independently. I dont find anything that activates them though. I have traced the wire that supplies them. It runs back up behind the fuse panel.and into the roof of the unit.
Old 04-06-2020, 08:38 AM   #5
Knight1
Established Member

M.O.C. #25575
side markers

Hello, i may be wrong on this, but could they be turn signal indicators? Our 2020 Montana 3760FL has an LED light on each side just in front of the front baggage doors, but we only just picked up the trailer so i haven't done any travelling yet, other than bringing it home, but i'm pretty sure they didn't come on with the running lights. I can try them tonight when i get home, but i know the Jayco Eagle we had previously had side markers that were turn signal lights. If that's the case, it may take some fancy wiring to turn them into a constant power.
Knight1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 08:45 AM   #6
Mistress

M.O.C. #26058
Thanks for reply Knight1. I did try the turn signals as well and that didn't work. Both of these side lights are connected together in parallel.
Old 04-06-2020, 12:49 PM   #7
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
I added the side camera's to my Montana after Christmas this year. They were my Christmas present. I did some YouTube video watching and picked up a couple tips which changed the direction I intended to go with the side camera's.

First, one thing that became very apparent was the view from the camera. By putting the side-light/camera in their original position by removing the old ones (up front), the door trim from the propane tanks would block a portion of the view. I picked this tip up from YouTube. I did pull one side light out and put it in place and tried it, and sure enough, the trim on the door blocked too much of the view. Plan B was born.

I decided to just leave the originals in place and I raised the new yellow lights up high enough the propane gas tank doors would not block their view. That meant drilling a new hole for the wire to go through, applying some adhesive, and screwing the new lights/camera on carefully and in a new location. The end result was fantastic! When traveling, nothing blocks the camera view now.

Of course, this meant I had to splice into the existing wires, which was really very simple to do. I wired mine so the camera would be active when the running lights were on by the truck:

Your's should be the same, but my lights had 2 sets of wires coming out of them. One set was for the amber light. The other set was for the camera. This way, both sets could be connected together so both camera and light is on at the same time. Or wire them independent with a different power line to the camera and then you could toggle the camera on-and-off independent of the need for the tow vehicle to be attached.

I am thinking your situation is very easy to fix. You need to open the light/camera from the back, and you'll find the second set of wires for the camera. Attach them together and they'll run off your truck when plugged in.

You REALLY might want to think about where you place the light/camera. I looked at some images of your camper model, and you will also have blockage of the camera view if you mount the new camera/lights right on the same spot where old amber running lights are located.

Good luck!
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 01:00 PM   #8
Mistress

M.O.C. #26058
Dutchmansport, Thank you for your reply. Again, these are mounted directly rearward of the baggage doors. Opposite of where yours are mounted. That is the reason I chose this location as it would be behind most of the obstructions.
Old 04-19-2020, 02:03 PM   #9
Stix
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #25024
Sometime around 2005, the RV Industry agreed to standardize the wiring colors used in all 12vdc system similar to the always used National Electrical Code for the AC system.

White is always Neutral (120vac) and Ground (12vdc). The 12vdc ground is bonded to the frame in one place for safety. All 12vdc devices will have a White ground wire ran to them and the frame is no longer used for the return.

Black is the 120vac Hot and any other color including White with a colored tracer is the positive 12vdc side.

As usual bare Copper is the AC safety ground and bonded in one place to the frame.

Running lights (stop, tail, markers) follow the automotive color code.

These standards are adhered to by all RV manufactures. However many add-on or after-market installers do not use these.
Stix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2020, 04:16 PM   #10
ejerni
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #24555
Your lights should be activated by tow vehicle lights.
ejerni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2020, 06:56 PM   #11
cgeis48
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9174
Once you have power to the turn signal cameras you will need to pair them one at a time using the Bluetooth button on the side of the cameras. It's a very small button and it's necessary to pair each with the screen in your truck.
The screen for your truck has a page that allows you to start the pairing process. If you can't get it done the folks at Furrion are very helpful.
cgeis48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 02:55 PM   #12
sherlosttravelers
Established Member

M.O.C. #25447
As for the extra switches on your panel do you have a 12V power strip on your awning arm because my 2020 295RL came with dual awnings with 12v power strips on them.
And it took me a couple of days to figure out what the extra switches were for in my power pannel inside.

Then i found 2 xtra lights that were under my bed storage space. And figured out that they were for the awning arm strips.

I cant seem to download the pics. Of them to the forum. If i figure that out i will post them to this thread.
You live in Rensselaer Indiana?
I'm over in Valparaiso
Old 04-20-2020, 07:26 PM   #13
sherlosttravelers
Established Member

M.O.C. #25447
Here are the pics. Of my awning power strip

Click image for larger version

Name:	20200420_153427.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	162.5 KB
ID:	6091
[ATTACH]Click image for larger version

Name:	20200420_153417.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	112.4 KB
ID:	6093[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200420_153413.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	140.6 KB
ID:	6092  
Old 04-21-2020, 05:05 PM   #14
gjennings
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #22840
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistress View Post
Dutchmansport, Thank you for your reply. Again, these are mounted directly rearward of the baggage doors. Opposite of where yours are mounted. That is the reason I chose this location as it would be behind most of the obstructions.
Maybe you could post a picture of the light so everyone can see what, where your talking about. Pictures are worth a 1,000 words.
Not full timers yet but soon
gjennings is offline   Reply With Quote