Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 03-11-2021, 02:16 PM   #1
Sdexte
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #24981
Selling my Montana

Hi all,
Looking for input from members who have sold or know someone who has sold their unit. We are coming to the end of our full time adventure and going back to a house. I am looking for the best way to sell my 2019 Montana HC 373RD as well as my 2019 Silverado 2500HD. My choices are (1) finding an RV dealer willing to at least give me what is still currently owed on it or preferably a bit more (2) advertising on social media, RV trader etc and (3) will I get a better deal selling the RV and truck as a package deal (truck is paid off). For those who have sold theirs one of these ways can you help with how it went and any tips.

Thank you

Sdexte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 02:58 PM   #2
scuba dude
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10841
You have two highly sought after items there, I would sell it myself. You should do a little price checking and list them on craigslist and local yard sale sights on internet. There are lots of sights you can list free or little cost. Spring is upon us and so is camping season. Good luck
scuba dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 03:08 PM   #3
Creeker
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #23094
Never been a better time to sell a camper than right now. Demand is at an all time high. Price it right and it will be gone fast.

I'd start on Craigslist and Facebook Marketplace.
Creeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 03:45 PM   #4
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Also try Nextdoor.com to market it in your local area.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 03:54 PM   #5
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
Sell separate and have a price for each separate. Also, have a price for both combined. You just never know what may come your way.

Unless you put down a substantial down payment on the camper when you purchased it, more than likely you are upside down. Meaning, you owe more than the camper is worth. Being a 2 - 3 year old camper, this is a real possibility, especially if you financed paint guards, extended warranties, tire protection and things like that. Definately, a dealership will not give you your payoff amount.

Still, good luck. In today's economy and the way things are going,... who knows?
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 06:45 PM   #6
PNW Fireguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18081
Like said above never been a better time to sell. We recently sold out Montana in 4 days and had three potential buyers had the first commited sale fell through. It's sellers market. I would not use a dealer, you will reach more potential buyers using social media, RVtrader and Craigslist adds then any local dealer. And the cost for those adds will be $100 or less total.
PNW Fireguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 08:13 PM   #7
ExPatNW
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10319
Sold our 2017 in January and got what we wanted for it. Used Craigslist. Hopefully you are not in a rush, as it may take a little while, but likely it will go if you have priced it right. I would not use a dealer myself. Craigslist is charging to sell cars, rv etc, but its not much when compared to RVTrader (which we did not use). Good luck.
ExPatNW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 07:43 AM   #8
WeBeFulltime
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11397
Sold our 2018.5 3791RD last year using FB Marketplace. Was in no rush so started out pricing it a little high and had to play the game for 3 months. Then I lowered price to a more realistic one and a guy with camper knowledge came along and bought it. After Montana was gone I listed my 2012 F350 on FB Marketplace also and it was gone in 3 days. Thankfully the truck was paid for and I had equity in the Montana so didn't get hurt.

Full Timers 9/1/2010 through 1/16/2020.
WeBeFulltime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2021, 03:36 PM   #9
masterdrago
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20587
I just listed ours here, on several other 5r forums, FB Marketplace and RV Trader ($99 for 8 weeks). We are not in a hurry, so that helps. We are listing it combined but in the fine print separating it out. For me, that was a task since I had never listed things like this. Getting everything described was a real journey.
Old 03-28-2021, 02:17 PM   #10
Mikelff
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26851
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sdexte View Post
Hi all,
Looking for input from members who have sold or know someone who has sold their unit. We are coming to the end of our full time adventure and going back to a house. I am looking for the best way to sell my 2019 Montana HC 373RD as well as my 2019 Silverado 2500HD. My choices are (1) finding an RV dealer willing to at least give me what is still currently owed on it or preferably a bit more (2) advertising on social media, RV trader etc and (3) will I get a better deal selling the RV and truck as a package deal (truck is paid off). For those who have sold theirs one of these ways can you help with how it went and any tips.

Thank you
Sell it yourself. For these high ticket items, you will always do better yourself. You can contact a couple dealers and see what they offer. You can find out what the low price will be that way. As others have said, Craig's list, Facebook marketplace, and Next door. Start there and see what happens. Then you can expand you marketing to RV Trader. Price separately, and together. Do your research. Check to see what your unit asking price is on these sites and figure out your starting price. Stay in the same range as the other like units are. It’s a sellers market so as long as your price is competitive, it should sell pretty quick.
Mikelff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2021, 07:58 AM   #11
dallasrules
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #26856
I just sold my 2004 cedar creek 5th wheel on Facebook marketplace. Bought it in January 2020 for$4500. Sold it last month for $10,500. Full asking price in less than 2 weeks. Dealer offered me $7k. I did do a lot of work to it. It was in top shape. I would list the truck and trailer separately because most people looking for a 5th trailer already have a truck, but you can also offer a package deal. There are no fees to sell on Facebook. Also just sold my son's 2002 explorer for $1800 in two days.
dallasrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2021, 08:16 AM   #12
steiny93
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17461
Last summer I sold a newer front living Montana (I think it was a 2017 but I don't recall the exact year). A month ago a good buddy sold his year old travel trailer.

I sold mine via Craigslist, took 48hrs sold at full asking price. Buddy sold his to the dealer he bought it new from the year before.

I believe pricing is the most important part.
Spend time figuring out pricing; you need to know what competitive trailers are listed at, you should also know what new would cost so you can weave that into a discussion with any potential buyers. Basically, if you price it competitively you'll get traffic, if you price it high the traffic will be less, without traffic landing a sale is tough.

The next important parts:
- have the trailer clean, like really clean, it needs to smell clean
- lots of pictures
- list the features / options in words that will make sense to the general public

Dealers are buying used rv's; start there and see what the number is. After that you can decide if you want to sell it yourself or consignment.

Good luck
steiny93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2021, 04:10 PM   #13
dannyrver
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9072
What!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW Fireguy View Post
Like said above never been a better time to sell. We recently sold out Montana in 4 days and had three potential buyers had the first commited sale fell through. It's sellers market. I would not use a dealer, you will reach more potential buyers using social media, RVtrader and Craigslist adds then any local dealer. And the cost for those adds will be $100 or less total.
What did you get for the new SOB?
dannyrver is offline   Reply With Quote