Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Campgrounds
Click Here to Login

Old 10-31-2006, 12:22 PM   #1
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Orlando CG recommendations??

I have already received some good scouting reports from some MOCers through PMs, but I would like to put this out to the general membership. Cheryl and I are getting ready to head to the Orlando next week. Cheryl has a opportunity to work at a restaurant at Epcot. We do not have a CG locked down yet.

We need to be close, but not too close. We want an economical CG that has a pool and laundry facilities. We know there are some CGs that are to be avoided. I would like to get input on this.

Thanks,
Dave

dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 02:30 PM   #2
jsmitfl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1709
Send a message via MSN to jsmitfl
Brrrrr, A swimming pool this time of year. LOL
jsmitfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 02:57 PM   #3
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Depends on where you are at...
Old 11-01-2006, 12:26 AM   #4
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Just one piece of advice. Unless Cheryl is making a ton of money at Disney or you are wealthy stay away from the KOA in Kissimmee. Two years ago they wanted nearly 900 bucks a month when evryone else was 400 to 500.
Most any campground on rte 192 will be higher priced. On route 27 north or south of 192 are some nice campgroungs and somewhat reasonably priced.
Mouse Mountain the sites are very tight
Deer Creek has a beautiful golf course don't really recall the prices
Florida Camp Inn wasn't too bad either
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 03:15 AM   #5
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Thanks, Glenn! Very helpful... as was your earlier help via PM. We will check those out. Your geographical generalizations are also very good info. I did not have that info.

*On Edit~ I know there there are some good KOAs out there. However, I have a general aversion to them for two reasons - price and lot size. I know it's not fair to catagorize all KOAs this way (I heard of one somewhere in the US with very large sites), but the price usually overwhelms me. Also, I believe most KOAs are geared toward families, as compared to 50+ couples. More amenities than we are interested in.
Old 11-01-2006, 04:37 AM   #6
ken
Montana Master

M.O.C. #345
We normally stay at Encore since Outdoor World has leased some sites in there. We also looked at Bee's RV Campground on rt 27 near Clearmont. They may be a little cheaper. Encore may be on the expensive side like Glenn said. We belong to Thousand Trails and Outdoor world membership camp clubs and both have extensive programs. Thousand Trails has a RV campground on rt 27 that has extended stays for rent. You can get a TT membership fairly cheap as a resale in Florida. If your interested I may be able to find the number of the one we went thru and got our membership. It's worth it...Ken
ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 05:07 AM   #7
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Thanks, Ken. We are looking at TT, but not right at the moment. We did get a referral from another park we callled that was full - they are not in the TL directory - for East Lake Fish Camp RV Resort. Seems very reasonable - $339/mo FH + elect, cable incl, 50 amp, pool, laundry. Anyone heard of this park?
Old 11-01-2006, 07:38 AM   #8
Old GI
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4308
This is the beginning of snowbird season down here, so all of the prices go up. We have stayed at the KOA in Kissimmee on Rte 192 and had a premium site which was large and very comfortable, they also have a heated pool and they are close to Disney, there are many CG's in that area, but as I said before this is the season when prices go up, sadly enough for us Floridians too.
Old GI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 03:14 PM   #9
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Pete, what did you pay for that KOA?

Also, We have come across a CG of interest. Has anyone have any experience with East Lake Fish Camp in Kissimmee?
Old 11-02-2006, 03:53 AM   #10
Emmel
Montana Master

M.O.C. #808
Dave, the only cg we have stayed at around Disney was Bee's in Clermont. Nice place and the Camping World across the street should be open now. We did the free three day stay at a TT south on rt27 and was NOT impressed with the price(WOW) or the fact there are only 119 cg's you can use mostly coastal. The dues each year was really-really high for what you get. Mind you that was the dues from that TT. If you look into TT try to find a resale where someone is selling their personal membership but you still can't escape the dues.There are a lot of cg memberships out there and you have to research the internet and find one that fits your own personal use. I use RPI and Passport every time we go out for a week or more. Good luck and happy shopping!
Emmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 08:15 AM   #11
Old GI
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4308
Dave, I don't recall exactly what we paid but it was not cheap, we took our little guy over for his birthday and couldn't get into Disney. The KOA Kissimmee offer rates for long term, I don't know what they are but you can call them at 407-396-0447, their toll free is 1-800-562-7791. I know the 407-396-0447 will put you right into the park office, give them a call, it's nice and clean. Be careful of the fishcamps Dave, you get what you pay for. There is another KOA off Narcoosee Rd east of Orlando, they are a little further out. When are you coming down, I will do some looking for you in the greater Orlando area if you want......Pete
Old GI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 11:34 AM   #12
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Thanks, Steve and Pete. We plan on leaving the Asheville area next Thu (9th) and staying overnight somewhere near Savannah, GA, before heading into the Orlando area the next day. We probably will just hit a Walmart in Savannah - unless anyone has a better idea for us for an overnight spot in that area...

The last five weeks, we have been staying in a parking lot along side of a busy Interstate, with no sewer (26 miles round trip once a week to dump) and I have to manually fill my fresh water tank every few days. Fishcamps would be a step up. Of course we're staying free here...
Old 11-02-2006, 12:25 PM   #13
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Just had a thought. If we just stayed in a county park, or COE-type park, close to the Orlando area for a few days to a week while we checked out these CGs in person. Not sure if there is anywhere where I can use my Golden Access card, but that may be a possibility, too.
Old 11-02-2006, 01:06 PM   #14
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by dsprik

Pete, what did you pay for that KOA?

Also, We have come across a CG of interest. Has anyone have any experience with East Lake Fish Camp in Kissimmee?
Dave, We did check out East Lake a few years ago but I can't remember much about it. I do know I wasn't turned off with them as I didn't put an * next to their name. I do recall most if not all sites were under trees.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 01:19 PM   #15
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Thanks, Glenn. May be something to try. We can move if we have to.