Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 08-04-2012, 08:17 AM   #1
bigskyjimmy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10696
creaking poping level up system

It has been getting bad lately all day all night it will make big CLUNKS or creaking I do not mind a little but DANG! at night we have heard some BIG Clunks like the suspension let loose ...anybody else with the same problem, we are on a uneven site and both wheels axles are off the ground

Old 08-04-2012, 09:16 AM   #2
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
What the heck - are you parked over the edge in the Grand Canyon? I've never had one axle off the ground, let alone two!
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 09:37 AM   #3
bigskyjimmy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10696
Thats funny! you would think hugh?? one side is barely off the ground the other axle is about 4in off we live at a beautifull resort but the slips are gravel and uneven I think the sound is the suspension is just hanging too much maybee I should drop it down sometimes to compress the suspension back
Old 08-04-2012, 11:37 AM   #4
lawrenceb42106
Montana Master

M.O.C. #45
Have you thought about placing 2X8 boards under the wheels for support? That would relieve the frame some.
lawrenceb42106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 11:57 AM   #5
Bruce Lenhardt
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5098
Send a message via ICQ to Bruce Lenhardt
Have read on other RV forums that others are experiencing the same problem. There doesn't seem to be a real fix at this time. Some say it gets worse the more the jacks are extended. Others say it gets better after some time as air escapes the cylinders?
Bruce Lenhardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 12:11 PM   #6
bigskyjimmy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10696
I think that is what I will do Lawrence is put boards under to relieve the stress on the suspension
Old 08-04-2012, 01:08 PM   #7
ranch560
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12491
We are camped right now on some pretty level ground. A couple of days ago I started to hear the same sounds. Last night they got worse. And I just noticed that my auto level is out of adjustment. What the computer calls level is definitely not level. I have a pretty good level on board and checked it. Not only is it out front to back, but side to side now. It's out a couple of inches both ways. I'm not sure if the two are connected, but now I'm a little concerned they are. I read somewhere how to reset the system, so I will try that first if I can find it.

Jim
ranch560 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 01:53 PM   #8
bigskyjimmy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10696
Yea ours is never totally level either, even though it says it is, the kitchen slide especialy it slopes down so when you cook the liquid in the pan goes to one side so to remedy that i manually tilt the kitchen side up a little,the level up system is cool but it needs a little tweaking
Old 08-04-2012, 02:42 PM   #9
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
You are not alone with the clunks and creaks of the Level Up System. Some noise is attributable to the heat of the sun causing the metal parts to expand at different rates (my theory). But that doesn't explain the really loud clunks you hear and feel. We find it tends to occur when one or more of the jacks is highly extended, or if we have been sitting for a long time in one spot on non-concrete surfaces. One trick that works is to re-level the rig. I also have a suspicion the noise might be a early indicator of a leaky seal. I have one jack that is now wet and being replaced. I will see how the noise is after that is done.

If you want to re-calibrate what level is for the computer brain, here are the steps (this assumes you have manually leveled the rig to your satifaction)

ZERO SETTING THE CONTROL
1. Turn “ON/OFF” button “OFF”
2. Push “FRONT” button 10 times,
3. Push “REAR” button 10 times
4. Control will flash and beep, LCD says “ZERO POINT CALIBRATE”
5. To memorize this level condition , press “ENTER”
6. LCD says “ZERO POINT STABILITY SUCCESSFULLY SET”
7. The control will then turn off.
8. Turn “ON/OFF” on to commence operation.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 04:17 PM   #10
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Everyone is assuming that all parts of their trailer level with the other parts. I'm not sure that's true. On ours the bedroom and the kitchen floor don't share the same idea of what's level.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 07:21 PM   #11
Mynabird
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8757
Ditto! But, I have a theory that you all could tell me why it would not be.

My idea has to do with expansion & contractions! Not understanding how exactly it all works & comes together (I leave that part to DH), I was thinking perhaps the hydraulic fluid could be effected by the heat of the day & coolness of evening. We were in Arizona for 3 months & it seemed to happen everywhere we stopped...a couple weeks here and a month thrown in.

Now we are in San Juan Bautista, California, since May, and have not noticed any creaking, clunking, shifting, etc!!! Perhaps I should also say we have not had any heat extremes that the rest of the country has been experiencing the last couple months. The hottest we've had has been mid to high 80's & 50's at night. (Thank you God! We are here for DH respiratory rehab)

So, what say the experts ???
Mynabird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 07:39 PM   #12
bigskyjimmy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10696
Thanx Carl for the info for resetting the jacks I will do that
Old 08-05-2012, 08:46 AM   #13
ranch560
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12491
Thanks also Carl. I just re-leveled the rig and what a difference. Now let's see if it stays level and the pops and groans go away.

My next concern doesn't have a good solution! It's supposed to be 105 degrees today and we only have 30 amp hook-ups.
ranch560 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 11:12 AM   #14
jimcol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7992
Send a message via AIM to jimcol Send a message via MSN to jimcol
Ranch560, Little trick I learned from Mudchief and have posted a month or so ago. You can run both A/C's on 30 amp service, it just requires a little work. Put the frig and water heater on gas. Turn off your converter at the breaker box. Minimize any other a/c power usage.Televisions and computers are probably OK but not curling irons, toasters, microwaves etc. Start your first A/C and set the thermostat real low, like 60 degrees. This will keep the compressor from cycling off and on. Once the first a/c is running you can start the second. If you find your battery is low run an extension cord from the pedestal 15 amp plug to the converter. Little work but beats the heat. Jim
Old 08-05-2012, 11:53 AM   #15
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Wow! You folks with the creaking and groaning and "whatever" sounds with the Level Up system have me worried. After reading all the reports about the sounds the system makes I'm a little bit nervous.

But it is much better to have the reports and know what to listen for. I appreciate all the posts. Good luck to everyone who is having the noise issues. So far we have not had anything show up. Let us know if Lippert gives anyone any additional info. Later, Dennis.
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 04:00 PM   #16
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
In our case it was the level up system trying to maintain level.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 07:30 PM   #17
Mynabird
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8757
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by richfaa

In our case it was the level up system trying to maintain level.
Rich, how did you fix it? Did you do as Carl (Butch) did?
Mynabird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 08:06 PM   #18
seahunter
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11675
I'm also wondering since the system shuts itself off, does it turn back on by itself if it senses it is out of level?

seahunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 04:32 PM   #19
Artemus Gordon
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12339
We have heard it when watching outdoor TV. I have heard it, but have not actually seen movement. When we load up the front living room, it does not seem to make a difference. If near the front jacks when it happens, the noise gets your attention!
Artemus Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 07:56 AM   #20
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
The system must be on for the leveling to work. It was on when we noted it leveling a few mins after the initial setup other than that we have not heard the reported noise.
We were told by a friend in a SOB that it does not hurt to leave the system on and if set up in grass or softer ground it will level when needed...Sounded like a good idea to me?????
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote