Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 09-13-2005, 04:02 PM   #1
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
Keystone lug nut tightining process

Well how many got from Keystone there packet and there dvd movie??

I did, I did.

I dont want to take my 5er out of storage and go have some guy show me the proper way to tork my lug nuts, it to much time to do what I already know.

Has anybody checked Keystone to see if it was manditory to get the "acknowledgement" signed by the owner ans the dealer, or be able to call up Keystone and do a verbal signature.

TT2

Old 09-14-2005, 04:42 AM   #2
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
What is the lugnut procedure? I always did it same as on a car or truck. Odd number of lugs, do one, skip one, do one, skip one. If even number, do one, do the opposite one, do another, do its opposite, etc. Is that correct per Keystone's procedures? We don't have the instructions nor was I aware they are available.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2005, 05:24 AM   #3
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
Ok I got the scoop on what Keystone wants checked besides the torking the tires they want the dealer to check and see it there is any paint on the drum where the rim makes contact, and if there is it has to be removed. they also want us to sign a paper to let Keystone know the work was ckecked and a person received proper instructions on the tightening secquence of the lug nuts.
so I guess I have to make an appointment with M Thompsons RV.

Im back.
Old 09-14-2005, 05:42 AM   #4
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Steve,

At the Rally, they instructed to tighten lugs in a star shape, starting at 12 noon (or as close as possible), then down to 6 and on and on.
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2005, 10:52 AM   #5
Still_waters
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #1030
I can't get my CD from Keystone on lug nut torque to play. Anyone having that problem? What am I doing wrong? Have no problems with other CD's
Still_waters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2005, 12:02 PM   #6
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Have not tried, is it a CD or a DVD??
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2005, 12:49 PM   #7
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
At the rally we were given a DVD not a CD.

After two years of putting it off and, at the rally, hearing the emphasis the Keystone Customer Service people were putting on torquing our Monty's lug nuts I finally decided to torque them as instructed. Torqued all sixteen of them, had to remove all the rubber lug nut caps, and guess what?? Sixteen out of sixteen were within the 110 to 120 pounds of torque as recommended by Keystone. 12 of the sixteen were at exactly 120 pounds.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2005, 05:01 AM   #8
drhowell
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3628
I pack a torque wrench with me and check the lug nuts just prior to leaving a camp site. I do not do it every time but once every other week or so depending on the miles traveled. Usually every 500 or so miles. After a few checks they seem to seat in and I have not had any loose ones for some time. I think it is only a concern immediately after removing the tire and running down the road a bit. It is a good thing to keep up on but do not expect to find loose ones every time you check them.

drhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2005, 07:58 AM   #9
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I retorque them (with a torque wrench) anytime a wheel has been removed. It usually requires retorquing about 4 times on ours before they no longer need tightening. It's been this way every time a wheel has been removed for whatever reason. When I pull those black caps the first time I put them in a bag on the floor of the truck as a reminder to check the lugnuts each time we stop. Once they no longer need tightening I put the covers back on.
Old 09-22-2005, 04:06 AM   #10
drhowell
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3628
On Sept 14 Steve wrote; "We don't have the instructions nor was I aware they are available."

It slipped my mind (happens more regularly these days) that I downloaded the Owners Manual from the Alko/Kober site. Page 24 gives detail wheel nut torque requirements. Pretty much as discussed above but with pictures and details. Also the never exceed number is 120 lbs torque on 1/2" wheel studs. Good information on troubleshooting tire wear and brake problems also.

Alko/Kober owners manual:
http://www.al-kousa.com/pdf/alkobrochure.pdf

Dexter has a similar resource at:
http://dexteraxle.com/trailer_resource_library
drhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2005, 08:21 AM   #11
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Thanks, Don. I have that manual so I guess I have the instructions but just forgot they're there. Not a surprise to me, given this old memory!
Old 09-22-2005, 08:20 PM   #12
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Still_waters

I can't get my CD from Keystone on lug nut torque to play. Anyone having that problem? What am I doing wrong? Have no problems with other CD's
I run my DVD or CD which ever it on my computer it worked fine
also the CD shows the tightening sequence for all lug nut paterns and the three step tightening process.