Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Campgrounds State, Provincial & Federal
Click Here to Login

Old 11-16-2016, 09:47 AM   #1
PapaBeav
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7487
Walleye or Trout fishing

Our son who lives in Iowa wants to meet up next year after the Spring Rally with us to do a little fishing. He has mentioned the Dakodas, Wyoming, Colorado and Minnesota. Neither of us has ever fished in these states. We would prefer fishing a lake with a campground or open camping ( we have solar and a generator). He is partially handicapped ( uses a cane to get around ) so we would be fishing from shore or have to rent a boat. Any and all recommendations would be appreciated.
Rich

PapaBeav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 10:20 AM   #2
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
There are several lakes with trout fishing near South Fork Colorado, as well as the Rio Grande River for float fishing. I have not fished them, but a friend who is a dedicated fly fisherman does and has good luck. There are also forest service campgrounds in the area, but again I have never used them.

Edit: I failed to mention that South Fork is about 8,500' and may not work well for spring fishing. We have typically gone there in mid summer and sometimes needed to run the furnace as some nights would dip into the 30's even in July/August. Very beautiful area though, only 15 miles or so from 10,800' Wolf Creek Pass.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 10:31 AM   #3
jrmart77
Established Member

M.O.C. #17919
Lake Sakakawea in North Dakota is the premier walleye fishery. Every July there is the Governor's Cup walleye tournament. Lake Sakakawea State Park is right on the lake. We spend numerous weekends camping there. Bismarck is about 60 miles south of the lake and Minot is about 50 miles north of the lake. There is the small town of Garrison just north of the state park where you can get fuel, groceries, and there are a few restaurants. Plus numerous shops.

http://www.parkrec.nd.gov/parks/lssp/lssp.html
jrmart77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 01:15 PM   #4
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
I have fished the Green River lakes in Wy. Close to Pinedale a little south of the Grand Teton park. And Union Pass about 10 miles north and west of Dubois. The Green River lakes has nice trout with a slot of I think 18 or 20 inches. Union Pass has numerous small streams full of small Brookies and small lakes 20 to 50 acres with trout and white fish. Union Pass is my favorite place in Wy to camp. It's 9200 feet in elevation and I think the prettiest place in the state. Don't plan on going up there until after the first of July, SNOW. Both places an be fished from Union Pass as the Union Pass goes from the Dubois side to Pinedale. I think it's about 40 miles or so on Union Pass Rd. The road is a good gravel road. You can camp any place you find you like. The best places is within a mile of the Union Pass sign on the Dubois side. Expect temps at night to be in the 30s or possible 20s and days 60s to mid 70s in July.
Lynwood
mlh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 05:03 PM   #5
CORattler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10496
Gunnison, Colorado.
Taylor reservoir (you can rent a boat there). Just below the dam are gold medal trout waters (catch & release only). Below that is the Taylor river (with some sections on posted private lands). I caught the biggest rainbow trout of my life there.
There is a national forest campground there called Lottis Creek. You can reserve a site but you will want to do so well in advance of your arrival. You can reserve up to 6 months out.
http://cottonwoodpass.net/taylor-park-reservoir.htm
http://www.recreation.gov/camping/lo...&parkId=116389
CORattler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 02:01 AM   #6
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
I forgot to add. The Green River lakes can be found online, just Google Green River lakes WY. They do have a CC, beautiful country.
Lynwood
Old 11-19-2016, 03:52 AM   #7
jimcol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7992
Send a message via AIM to jimcol Send a message via MSN to jimcol
We fish Lake Sharp and Lake Francis Case in South Dakota every year in early June. Good walleye & small mouth fishing on both, lots of campgrounds around both. Lake Oahe is just north. Never fished it but understand it has very good walleye fishing. All three of these lakes are just the Missouri River dammed up. Beautiful area. Never rented a boat but have seen a few Marina's. Some of the campgrounds sit close enough to the water you can bank fish but we always fish from a boat.
Old 11-19-2016, 01:31 PM   #8
PapaBeav
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7487
Thanks guys for all the suggestions, if there are anymore they would be appreciated
Rich
PapaBeav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 09:36 AM   #9
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
In Colorado/Wyoming there is a lot of good fishing. The Miracle Mile in Wyoming is well known as is the Dream Stream in Colorado between Eleven Mile and Spinney Reservoirs. People fly in from all over the world to fish the Miracle Mile on the North Platte in Wyoming for Browns and Rainbows. If you want big lake fishing there is Blue Mesa Reservoir in southern Colorado. High mountain lakes are a lot of fun. If you want Lakers, head to Granby and fish the West side of Rocky Mountain National Park. Pueblo Reservoir holds walleye, bass and trout. And, North and South Dakota have big lakes that have walleye, perch and pike. Lots of choices. Feel free to contact me if you need more info.
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 06:18 PM   #10
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Listen to rames14. He lives out there. He knows.
Lynwood