Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 09-05-2020, 01:23 PM   #61
PSFORD99
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9051
[QUOTE=dfb;1197088]
Quote:
Originally Posted by CADman_KS View Post

What? Lol...
Not sure if its LOL for me or him ,but I am totally confused with CAdman's math ,analogy, whatever here.

I have the exact same setup you had , same adapter ,same hitch, same truck. I actually have the Andersen adapter on the pin box turned so I am closer to the cab with the fifth wheel, its puts it exactly the same measurement as my Reese slider in the tow position . Neither hitch an issue.

Only thing I can say, this is situational awareness, and we need to be aware of the situation, whether its forgetting to lock the pin ,and dropping a fifth wheel on the truck, turning too sharp ,and taking out a back window ,whatever.

I have read enough of these posts in the 14 years I have been towing a fifth wheel with a short bed to write a book on what happens. We need to be aware at all times , if not we know the results.

PSFORD99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 10:07 PM   #62
CADman_KS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25060
[QUOTE=PSFORD99;1197100]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfb View Post

Not sure if its LOL for me or him ,but I am totally confused with CAdman's math ,analogy, whatever here.

I have the exact same setup you had , same adapter ,same hitch, same truck. I actually have the Andersen adapter on the pin box turned so I am closer to the cab with the fifth wheel, its puts it exactly the same measurement as my Reese slider in the tow position . Neither hitch an issue.

Only thing I can say, this is situational awareness, and we need to be aware of the situation, whether its forgetting to lock the pin ,and dropping a fifth wheel on the truck, turning too sharp ,and taking out a back window ,whatever.

I have read enough of these posts in the 14 years I have been towing a fifth wheel with a short bed to write a book on what happens. We need to be aware at all times , if not we know the results.
Pullrite used to have a great video that showed the "math" that I'm talking about, but I can't seem to find it right now. Here is a video from B&W that goes the math, and he never says anything about what size if bed you have. All that matters is the position of the hitch with respect to the back of the truck. What this video doesn't explicitly say is that you MUST be OVER 48" (the measurement that he takes) if you do NOT want to worry about hitting the back of your can with the nose of the 5er.

https://youtu.be/IQQRLcuwZS4

My point is that a lot of people have setups that are under that "minimum" distance, and that's fine, but if you're new to pulling, like the OP was, then it is something that you need to aware of. If you never want to have the issue, then you need to be past the dimension, or get a slider. If you're not, you're at risk when hooked up. Some don't have that luxury either, like myself. I don't have a choice but to turn at about a 75 degree angle every time we trim around in our driveway. I can't do it without more than 48" of clearance or a slider, and I've had both setups.

I personally wouldn't consider pulling with anything that doesn't meet the 48" clearance, or a slider. For me, it's insurance that I will never hit, whatever the circumstance or situation.

YMMV...
CADman_KS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 08:16 AM   #63
PSFORD99
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9051
[QUOTE=CADman_KS;1197119]
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSFORD99 View Post

Pullrite used to have a great video that showed the "math" that I'm talking about, but I can't seem to find it right now. Here is a video from B&W that goes the math, and he never says anything about what size if bed you have. All that matters is the position of the hitch with respect to the back of the truck. What this video doesn't explicitly say is that you MUST be OVER 48" (the measurement that he takes) if you do NOT want to worry about hitting the back of your can with the nose of the 5er.

https://youtu.be/IQQRLcuwZS4

My point is that a lot of people have setups that are under that "minimum" distance, and that's fine, but if you're new to pulling, like the OP was, then it is something that you need to aware of. If you never want to have the issue, then you need to be past the dimension, or get a slider. If you're not, you're at risk when hooked up. Some don't have that luxury either, like myself. I don't have a choice but to turn at about a 75 degree angle every time we trim around in our driveway. I can't do it without more than 48" of clearance or a slider, and I've had both setups.

I personally wouldn't consider pulling with anything that doesn't meet the 48" clearance, or a slider. For me, it's insurance that I will never hit, whatever the circumstance or situation.

YMMV...

I think we are on two different pages here. No argument on the 48" its simple math, as said I understand the math.

Here is the deal, I have the factory puck system on my Ram 3500 short bed truck, with a Reese frame adapter installed in the puck system , its designed for me to be able to install a standard rail hitch. I bought the adapter because I had a 18K Reese manual slider. In the tow position I am a few inches under 48", with the slider slid back I am sure I have the 48" or more .My Reese has 10" on the slide. With the Andersen steel mount hitch mounted to the same adapter ,there is no combination the will give me 48" ,nor is that concern.

I understand you want 48" or more, I understand you need 90 degrees . What I don't understand is how you get that 48" , with a slider you can when slid back, or there is a bunch of difference in our trucks dimensions on center of axle to cab. Or you are simply mounting your hitch rear of axle.There is no way I want to tow a fifth wheel with the pin rear of the axle .

My point in all of this is if a hitch is mounted properly I doubt any of the three trucks will have 48", maybe close I don't know for sure, but the Ram will not.
Old 09-06-2020, 08:34 AM   #64
CADman_KS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25060
Quote:

I think we are on two different pages here. No argument on the 48" its simple math, as said I understand the math.

I understand you want 48" or more, I understand you need 90 degrees . What I don't understand is how you get that 48" , with a slider you can when slid back, or there is a bunch of difference in our trucks dimensions on center of axle to cab. Or you are simply mounting your hitch rear of axle.There is no way I want to tow a fifth wheel with the pin rear of the axle .
Ah, the beauty of forums, and not being able to sit down side-by-side and have a conversation.

You're correct, we were talking about two different things. Me, 48" clearance to cab, and you axle position with relation to the back of the cab.

With a short box truck, I agree with you that there is no truck (that I'm aware of) that gives you the 48" minimum clearance, without being behind the axle. A slider is in front of the axle when towing, and behind when turning, in the case of an automatic, and on manuals, provided you make the switch. If I'm getting a slider, I'm only considering autos for the never-have-to-worry-about-it-factor.

The 2020 GM's have the FACTORY centerline 2" BEHIND the axle, and I'm not for sure, but they may have also stretched the distance between the pivot (gooseball) and the cab too. I haven't had any I'll effects that I can tell from that positioning, but I have a 3500 SRW, and so it has the extra springs which may help compensate for that. Never having pulled with a 2020 2500, I can't say for sure.

It is refreshing to have a civil conversation. Thanks!!!
Old 09-06-2020, 08:34 AM   #65
PSFORD99
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9051
With the OP he is asking about an Andersen hitch with a Ford short bed, My guess is he will mount the hitch in the rear position, and he will be pretty close to center of axle if the pin box adapter is in the forward position putting the fifth wheel closer to the cab the way I run mine. If he runs that pin adapter in the rear position that 8" further back, thats puts him rear of axle center. That is how Andersen says you can do it, I don't like the idea of that far back, but many do to get the clearance . There is actually four positions you can run the Andersen , but IMO two applies to a long bed, and two applies to a short bed .

If you put the hitch in the forward position on a short bed ,and the adapter in the rear ,you would still be too close to the cab. The hitch has to be in the rear position ,and in my case its my choice which position to put the adapter. I chose having the fifth wheel closer to the cab ,and up closer to center of axle.
Old 09-06-2020, 08:37 AM   #66
CADman_KS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25060
Quote:
With the OP he is asking about an Andersen hitch with a Ford short bed, ..
Yeah, and I said new to pulling a 5er, but that wasn't accurate with the OP. He was new to pulling with a short bed...
Old 09-06-2020, 08:51 AM   #67
PSFORD99
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9051
Quote:
Ah, the beauty of forums, and not being able to sit down side-by-side and have a conversation.

You're correct, we were talking about two different things. Me, 48" clearance to cab, and you axle position with relation to the back of the cab.

With a short box truck, I agree with you that there is no truck (that I'm aware of) that gives you the 48" minimum clearance, without being behind the axle. A slider is in front of the axle when towing, and behind when turning, in the case of an automatic, and on manuals, provided you make the switch. If I'm getting a slider, I'm only considering autos for the never-have-to-worry-about-it-factor.

The 2020 GM's have the FACTORY centerline 2" BEHIND the axle, and I'm not for sure, but they may have also stretched the distance between the pivot (gooseball) and the cab too. I haven't had any I'll effects that I can tell from that positioning, but I have a 3500 SRW, and so it has the extra springs which may help compensate for that. Never having pulled with a 2020 2500, I can't say for sure.

It is refreshing to have a civil conversation. Thanks!!!

Now we are on the same page

Its a dilemma for sure towing with a short bed ,its the nature of the beast. Thats why there is sliders, or with the Andersen its simple you are towing rear of the axle, which I don't care for, its putting the weight where it shouldn't be.

I have towed that way with the Andersen adapter in the rear position. I get more clearance with the cab ,but I don't like the way it tows , It seems to me I have a little bit more sway . So I chose to have less clearance , and better towing. Its in the same position as said that my Reese slider is in , in the tow position , right on the center of axle ,not rear of it.

IMO the OP will not have a problem if he sets up the same way I do. My neighbor ,and friend has the same truck as the OP ,short bed Ford, runs his Andersen same as I do , pin adapter forward , putting his fifth wheel closer to the cab. He has no issues backing, but no he won't be getting 90 degrees, neither will the OP. They will be further back from the cab then I am with the Ram.
Old 09-06-2020, 08:54 AM   #68
CADman_KS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25060
Quote:

Its a dilemma for sure towing with a short bed ,its the nature of the beast. Thats why there is sliders, or with the Andersen its simple you are towing rear of the axle, which I don't care for, its putting the weight where it shouldn't be.

IMO the OP will not have a problem if he sets up the same way I do. My neighbor ,and friend has the same truck as the OP ,short bed Ford, runs his Andersen same as I do , pin adapter forward , putting his fifth wheel closer to the cab. He has no issues backing, but no he won't be getting 90 degrees, neither will the OP. They will be further back from the cab then I am with the Ram.
Old 09-06-2020, 09:00 AM   #69
PSFORD99
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9051
Quote:
Yeah, and I said new to pulling a 5er, but that wasn't accurate with the OP. He was new to pulling with a short bed...
He won't have a problem with the Andersen if he pays attention, but he can sure get into trouble if he doesn't.

My advice if you think you are going to be in situations where you will need the slider back get the automatic slider. Thats where people get into trouble is they don't want to mess with the manual slider , and end up hitting the cab.
Old 09-06-2020, 09:07 AM   #70
mhs4771
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9969
No matter what hitch or how you position it, the main goal is to have the pin on the rear axle and keep the weight added or removed from the front axle to a minimum.
I have a long bed with king pin centered over the axles, weight on my front axle showed only 20 lbs difference with could be just position on the scales. I've put 80K miles on two fifth wheels with this setup and covered most of the US and Canada and never any sway other than the time coming South from Thompson, Manatoba and hit a patch of Black Ice.
Old 09-06-2020, 10:29 AM   #71
dfb
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17163
I had the sb mega cab ram.. hit the truck with the anderson.. bought the pullrite superglide..
dfb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 12:25 PM   #72
Igoo65
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #25159
Thank you everyone for your answers to my question. I didn't realize I had so many replies. The automated notification was turned off. To answer your questions, I have been towing my 3000RK with a 1994 Dodge 3500 flat bed with a Andersen hitch. The Dodge dropped the transmission a couple weeks ago and I have decided to upgrade to a new truck. I was just concerned with going to a short bed truck with an Anderson hitch and if I would have any issues. I love towing with the Andersen hitch. I have researched trucks endlessly and have decided on the Ford because it fits my needs the best.
Thanks again!
Igoo65
Igoo65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 01:25 PM   #73
CADman_KS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25060
Quote:
Originally Posted by Igoo65 View Post
Thank you everyone for your answers to my question. I didn't realize I had so many replies. The automated notification was turned off. To answer your questions, I have been towing my 3000RK with a 1994 Dodge 3500 flat bed with a Andersen hitch. The Dodge dropped the transmission a couple weeks ago and I have decided to upgrade to a new truck. I was just concerned with going to a short bed truck with an Anderson hitch and if I would have any issues. I love towing with the Andersen hitch. I have researched trucks endlessly and have decided on the Ford because it fits my needs the best.
Thanks again!
Igoo65
Good luck with your new truck! I think that you're going to really enjoy it! The new 2020's are beasts with the 10 speeds!

However, I think that we as a community actually failed you though, because I don't know that anyone actually answered your OP about how the 2020 Ford's work, clearance wise with the Andersen hitch.

Coming from a LB truck, you have not had to ever worry about contacting, and you just drove where you wanted to go, regardless of what was happening behind you. Without that same clearance (from one of the two methods above), you must be 100% attentive 100% of the time when turning.

If I were you, and I was changing trucks/setups like you are, I would go to a wide open space somewhere, and see what the "limits" BEFORE I'm in a situation where I test the limits, and lose...
Old 09-10-2020, 12:41 PM   #74
PSFORD99
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9051
Quote:
Good luck with your new truck! I think that you're going to really enjoy it! The new 2020's are beasts with the 10 speeds!

However, I think that we as a community actually failed you though, because I don't know that anyone actually answered your OP about how the 2020 Ford's work, clearance wise with the Andersen hitch.

Coming from a LB truck, you have not had to ever worry about contacting, and you just drove where you wanted to go, regardless of what was happening behind you. Without that same clearance (from one of the two methods above), you must be 100% attentive 100% of the time when turning.

If I were you, and I was changing trucks/setups like you are, I would go to a wide open space somewhere, and see what the "limits" BEFORE I'm in a situation where I test the limits, and lose...

I don't think ford has changed their Superduty on the axle placement ,length of bed etc. IMO seeing my neighbors setup ,Andersen hitch , Ford Superduty 350 short bed, and Montana fifth wheel, there is not an issue. But no there is no going 90 degrees.

But yes ,thats the first thing I did back in 2006, with my first fifth wheel. The truck was my 99 Superduty , 16K Reese sliding hitch ,and a 32 foot fifth wheel. Went to a parking lot ,and did circles ,and backed up to see what kind of clearance I could expect. After that ,I have not had an issue with any of the four fifth wheels ,and two trucks since, being aware of whats going on .