Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 02-07-2007, 10:57 AM   #1
Steve and Brenda
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6364
Final words before taking the plunge

OK, I have the $$ ready to get airbags for my 2006 2500 Duramax. Talked about this before - Firestones or Air Lifts, attached compressor or no, 2 indicators or one, computer control or no, etc.

What is the real poop guys and gals, I'm still flipping a coin!!!

Steve and Brenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 11:13 AM   #2
indy roadrunner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5634
On 2/24 I have an appointment to get Air Bags (Air lift) installed by Camping World. Can't afford compressor or gages at this time so just having air line installed at bumber. Besides I have a nice carry along air compressor should I need to make adjustments.
indy roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 12:05 PM   #3
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
If I end up keeping this coach and truck, I will be putting airbags on my truck as well. I am going with the Firestone bags and the "in cab" adjustment feature. This will be done spring or early summer.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 12:07 PM   #4
LonnieB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6150
Send a message via MSN to LonnieB
Steve,

Both are good. I prefer Air Lift because that's the brand I sell, install, and have on my own vehicle. BTW I had them on my truck, and one of our construction trucks, before I started selling them. I think the Air Lift mounting hardware is better, and they have more mounting bracket options. Both brands use Firestone air bags.

As far as the on-board compressor goes, it's a matter of personal preference and convenience. To me, the convenience doesn't outweigh the cost. It does let you constantly monitor and adjust the pressure, but I've never had a problem. I just hook up to the trailer, and set the air pressure high enough to level out the truck, in my case it's usually about 50 psi with the Montana, and 75 or so with one of the equipment trailers.

Hope this helps some.
LonnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 12:21 PM   #5
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by indy roadrunner

On 2/24 I have an appointment to get Air Bags (Air lift) installed by Camping World. Can't afford compressor or gages at this time so just having air line installed at bumber. Besides I have a nice carry along air compressor should I need to make adjustments.
I had mine installed by CW in Oregon 3 years ago. Only use a little 12 V portable compressor to put air in them (when needed). They don't need air often because I don't deflate them when not towing. We are on the road so much that deflating and reinflating seems like a tremendous waste of time, to me.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 12:23 PM   #6
AZCampinfool
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5430
Steve and Brenda, I have the Firestones with the on-board compressor and in cab controller. I installed the system myself in about 4 hours. I am happy with the bags and they work as advertised. I am extremely happy with the on-board compressor set up and glad I spent the additional money. I love the convenience of being able to adjust the air pressure on the go for all driving situations. I run the bags between 5 and 10 lbs when empty and around 50 with the fiver hooked up. Usually as soon as I un-hook the fiver, I release the extra air out of the bags, especially if I am going to be driving the truck around solo. When I hook up, I just push the lever and fill the bags back up. For me I didn't want to be fiddling around with an air compressor every time the bags needed air etc. As you can see, different strokes for different folks.
AZCampinfool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 01:10 PM   #7
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Got the Firestone's on my 2500HD and love them but use my compressor I carry in the Monty. Also use the compressor or the TV and Monty tires so I didn't feel the add on compressor was needed.
Installed my self but next time I'll pay the extra to have them installed.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 03:43 PM   #8
lwcdg
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4726
I have the firestone bags 2 gauges (1 for each bag, my choice) compressor under hood, which now gives me ultimate adjustments. Because of having the compressor it was an easy choice to add the trail saver air hitch. I'm just adding it into the air lines and adding another gauge to monitor and adjust it on the "fly".
Just another thought of what you can do once you have "air pressure".
Chuck enjoy what ever works for you will be right.
lwcdg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 04:43 PM   #9
Illini Trekker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2733
Firestone's installed myself couple of hours 14lb air each its that easy, save some money for something more technical.
Illini Trekker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 03:50 AM   #10
rlrich
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #5319
Firestones here. No compressor, no gauges and installed myself. Inflate to 45 for towing, down to 15 empty. Very simple and reliable.
rlrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 03:58 AM   #11
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I've only had the Firestones (on two different trucks) so can only speak to that brand. It's been an excellent set of bags on both trucks.

I once had air shocks on a car used as a tow vehicle. Manually filled when needed. I found that a real pain in the kazoo (for me). On the trucks, I went with the onboard compressor with single gauge and switch in the cab. I can, from the cab, air up the bags when ready to hitch and empty them after unhitching. I don't have to get out in the weather to adjust the bags.

I also like that if we are on pavement that gives a little chucking or other unpleasant sensations I can adjust the ride by simply reaching down to the switch and adjusting the air in the bags, while tooling down the highway. It doesn't always eliminate the sensations but does make a major improvement in comfort of the ride.

By the way, the instructions say to keep 5 psi in the bags even when the truck is empty. The purpose is to prevent damage to the bags if the suspension bottoms out when solo. I found the suspension on my Ford is sufficiently heavy that I will never bottom it out solo so I run the bags to totally empty when solo. I did that for 69k miles on the first truck with bags and 76k so far on this one with no ill effects.

As for dual gauges, I assume you mean left and right sides separately adjustable. I don't see the need when towing a fifthwheel. The weight of the pin is in the center of the bed and should be distributed equally to both sides. I think dual adjustments is more important for slidein campers that are usually heavier on the appliance side than the other side. Plus, with a single compressor I don't have to worry about getting both sides equally pressurized. It's automatic.

I'm not familiar with the computer control. I guess that is auto leveling? That might be nice but can you override it to adjust the ride on bad pavement?
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 04:00 AM   #12
Gonfishin
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3604
I installed the Firestone's and on-board compressor with a single Gage. Certainly just the bags will accomplish the overall goal that you are looking for. If you want the convenience of not airing or deflating manually opt for the compressor. I mounted my compressor inside under the rear seat.
Rick.
P.S. The pic in my sig was taken before the installation of the bags.
Gonfishin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 06:00 AM   #13
rickety
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4855
I installed the Firestones this past weekend. On board compressor, single guage, mounted under the rear seat, cuz you don't have to get at it all the time. Works fine, easy install. Will be doing a tour in June to Montana, Wyoming, Idaho with our new 3400rl (on its way yet).
rickety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 10:28 AM   #14
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Rick,
You are going through two of my favorite states; Montana and Wyoming. All you need now is South Dakota for the Black Hills. =)

Back on topic, have any of you mounted the air compressor in the engine compartment? Being I have a crew cab, I do not have as much space under the rear seats as the ext. cab does. It is so full of other things that I use through out the year while towing, there is just not enough room under there for me to mount a compressor.
Old 02-08-2007, 12:18 PM   #15
Gonfishin
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3604
Dave, something to keep in mind is the compressors don't have to be mounted in an upright position. Mine is mounted to the back wall of the cab due to boxes under my seat.
Rick.
Gonfishin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 03:04 PM   #16
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Mine is mounted to a frame rail under the driver's side. On my '99 F350 it was mounted under the hood, on the fender well. As Rick said, you don't need to get to the compressor often. I never had the need other than to see where it's located. I do like having the gauge and switch within easy reach while I'm driving, though. I like to adjust the ride when we hit rough riding roads.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 04:14 PM   #17
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Thanks for the info Rick and Steve, I do have room behind the seat backs in the cab. I think I like the idea of having it mounted to the frame rail if possible, and just run the wires through the firewall for the "incab" gauge. Looks like I will have to make a trip to my dealership and see what my options are??
Old 02-08-2007, 04:24 PM   #18
jobi67

M.O.C. #5364
what is the
purpose of the air bags? I'm a dummy
jobi67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 05:37 PM   #19
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
jobi67,
When I have my coach hooked up, my truck squats 1.5". This is just enough that it kicks my headlights into oncoming traffic, so I will have airbags installed to level out the truck.
Old 02-09-2007, 01:11 AM   #20
LonnieB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6150
Send a message via MSN to LonnieB
I agree with Montana Sky about the headlights jobi67, and stability would be the other reason. On a 3/4 ton rig the air bags will take alot of load off the springs and stop the soggy rear end feel. Without so munch bounce and sway you have much more control, more driver comfort, and a larger safety margin. It helps the one tons too, but not as noticeably.
LonnieB is offline   Reply With Quote