Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 11-05-2011, 08:31 AM   #1
av2pilot
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6348
Send a message via AIM to av2pilot
Power awning arms

I'm in the process of upgrading my manual awning arms with the Carefree Adjustable power arms. The only difficult thing I see is where and how do I wire the switch. Have any of you done this...did you put the switch outside....inside....how did you run the wiring?

av2pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 05:16 PM   #2
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
Since you have a similar unit to ours, I would come into the bedroom by drilling from the interior 110v outlet (remove it to get into the wall) and with some careful measuring would drill horizontally towards the the front of the 5er until you get the tip of the drill bit where you want to intersect it from the outside. Once you get the wire inside, do the same thing to get behind the dresser and then come out behind the dresser. Snake the wire along the floor into the bathroom cabinet and then into the basement. From the basement you can get to the hallway switch panel. I would place the switch for the awning above the switch panel the way Keystone does. Run a power wire from the 12v distribution panel to the switch panel area and make your connections.

I have done this for other installations and the hardest part is to keep the horizontal drilling in-line behind the interior luan and the Styrofoam inside of the wall. of the exterior wall. Take your time and measure many times!
snfexpress is offline   Reply With Quote