Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 05-22-2021, 07:50 AM   #1
RKassl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3699
Dual AC Question

When you have two AC's what have you found the best settings? What I mean do you usually set the smaller bedroom and the larger AC in the main coach area the same temperature?

Thanks

RKassl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2021, 08:16 AM   #2
Ram Montana High Country
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19944
It really depends ... On set-up in high temperature days: set the small unit on 65 and direct dump in bedroom (thinking it is more efficient on direct dump) - set main unit on 65. At night i set the main at the lower temperature and the bedroom 1 degree higher but barely crack the vent to push air into ducts. This makes for the most quiet setting for us.
Ram Montana High Country is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2021, 10:04 AM   #3
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
We usually have the bedroom set a couple of degrees lower than the lower one during the day and then set it a couple of degrees cooler than below at night, but we are ducted so one helps the other.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2021, 11:22 AM   #4
carlrx7
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #27783
Quote:
Originally Posted by DQDick View Post
We usually have the bedroom set a couple of degrees lower than the lower one during the day and then set it a couple of degrees cooler than below at night, but we are ducted so one helps the other.
Depends on which side of the rig the sun sets for us. I like to let the front run full time and for the rear to assist as needed.
Old 05-23-2021, 06:41 AM   #5
RLCJAH
Established Member

M.O.C. #26764
AC

Our AC units have decided not to stop when the correct temperature
has been reached on AUto. Any suggestions?
RLCJAH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2021, 06:29 AM   #6
RMcNeal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25165
Quote:
Originally Posted by RLCJAH View Post
Our AC units have decided not to stop when the correct temperature
has been reached on AUto. Any suggestions?
That is one of the problems we were having. Do you have the Dometic capacitive touch thermostats? I finally broke down and replaced mine with the Micro Air thermostats. Quite expensive, but it did fix the problem.
The other major issue we were having is that the unit will reach temp and shut down, then never kick back on regardless of how hot it got in the rig.
RMcNeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2021, 08:26 AM   #7
Mirandaraye1

M.O.C. #28822
I'm a new owner of a 3761FL, have a front air conditioner and one in the back bedroom. Have a couple of questions - 1. When the front air conditioner is on, I can feel some cool air coming out of the vents in the bedroom, is that normal? 2. The bedroom air conditioner seems to not cool very well when I have it on "cool - low - auto" but cools better when on "cool- high - auto" and it runs forever! Has anyone else experienced this?
Just trying to figure out the best use of my electricity and using both air conditioners. My RV is parked under a pole barn at all times so it does get shade, not direct sunlight.
Thanks!
Mirandaraye1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2021, 04:05 PM   #8
lewy64
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #26365
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirandaraye1 View Post
I'm a new owner of a 3761FL, have a front air conditioner and one in the back bedroom. Have a couple of questions - 1. When the front air conditioner is on, I can feel some cool air coming out of the vents in the bedroom, is that normal? 2. The bedroom air conditioner seems to not cool very well when I have it on "cool - low - auto" but cools better when on "cool- high - auto" and it runs forever! Has anyone else experienced this?
Just trying to figure out the best use of my electricity and using both air conditioners. My RV is parked under a pole barn at all times so it does get shade, not direct sunlight.
Thanks!

By setting the unit on low or high just sets the fan, whether or not the unit is cooling. Just set it to auto and the fan will come on whatever speed the ac wants it to. Yes it is normal for air coming out of all vents if either one or both are on, they are connected ductwork.
Old 05-31-2021, 08:42 AM   #9
GeologyTek
Established Member

M.O.C. #21745
A/C info

We have a 3811ms with the triple air conditioner set up. The front and rear units are tied into the central quite cool vents. The middle unit is a direct dump into the kitchen. We have 3 separate thermostats (dometic CT) and one that is possessed by a ghost👻.

All three thermostats run 2° cooler than the actual temperature they are set to. So, if you put them on 76° they will run until the house is 74° then shut down.

The front bedroom unit is the crazy one..... it sometimes shuts down at the wrong time and will not come back on. If you change the fan from auto to low or high, it will cycle for a few hours then just shut off. This most often happens in the spring and fall. In the summer it runs more "normal".

While checking the freeze sensor, I noticed that the quiet cool air returns had separated from the unit. No reason to cool the attic.....so I just silver taped them back up and it made a huge difference.

I service our unit every year: clean the coils, check the air return boxes, and filters. We have a whole house HEPA, I don't believe the black debris filters in the air conditioners are te best in the world.

As for the temperature settings, we run the front unit at and rear units at 75° during the day. The middle unit I set to 76° so it can come on as needed, because it is a bit louder. We have an upgraded power system so we can run all 3. We spend a majority of time in Texas and Carlsbad, NM for work.
GeologyTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2021, 03:49 PM   #10
Brian S
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #27692
We usually just use the BR one to cool it down when we stop.
Brian S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2021, 04:38 PM   #11
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
Ours is a front living room and bed room in the back. The 15,000 AC/heat pump is in the front (living room). The 13,500 AC (only) is in the back (bedroom).

How we use them depends on the amount of AC we actually need. Even though the living room is suppose to be the whisper quiet style, it still makes noise. So, we found running the bedroom (rear) AC will cool the entire trailer pretty well (41 feet long), until the heat rises. Then we turn both on.

The bedroom is always set colder than the living room when we are in the living room and we need both. The reason is because the bedroom is enclosed and the thermostat is in that room. It will kick off when that room reaches (say) 70 degrees, and the front part (living room) may be (say) 75 degrees. So the bed room will kick off, making the front living room warmer.

So, we find if the enclosed room is about 5 degrees lower, both AC's seem to run together pretty well. One will power up when the other powers down, and back and forth.

Now, at night, we'll turn the front one (living room 15,000 one) on AC .... (say) 70 degrees and it will keep the bed room about 72-73, but we don't have the noise as all the noise is in the opposite end of the camper, especially when we sleep.

In cold weather, we turn the heat pump on the front one (living room) and set it about about 5 degrees warmer than what seems normal. It will do well keeping the entire trailer warm, until the outside ambient temperature reaches 40 or lower, then we have to flip to the furnace.
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote