Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 04-26-2021, 03:21 PM   #1
scottkeen
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20894
30 lb Propane Tank Expired? Recertify or Replace?

Both of my 30 lb propane tanks are stamped "09-10" which I understand to mean that they were manufactured on September 2010.

They are also stamped "Tank must be re-certified after 10 years from manufacture date". It's 2021, so these are expired.

My questions:

1. Is it worth getting these tanks re-certified and filled?
I live in a suburban metro area, there are no AmeriGas or AirGas locations near me. The closest location is about 10 gallons of diesel away round-trip, plus I'd have to do that trip twice to pick the tanks up after they are re-certified. So figure 20 gallons of diesel round-trip. Just figure $60 bucks for fuel plus the cost of re-certification.

2. Is it better just to dispose of the old expired tanks and buy new ones?
I see on Walmart that I can get TWO (2) Flame-King 30 lb propane tanks for $109 delivered to my door. If it's better to dispose of my old tanks and buy new ones, how and where do I dispose of these tanks?

3. Can I just use 20 lb propane tanks?
20 lb propane tanks are cheaper and widely available around me. Are they the same diameter as 30 lb tanks? Will they fit in the metal tank straps in the propane hookup compartment?

scottkeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2021, 05:15 PM   #2
TenOC
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #28210
A number of propane dealers will recertify for free with a fill up. Other charge about $20.00
TenOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2021, 05:16 PM   #3
DadsHemi
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20472
20lb tanks will work, and I would by new tanks before I would re certify. That’s just my opinion.

2018 Ram 3500 MegaCab 4x4 Aisin, 4:10 Gears
Titan 50 Gal Tank, Air Lift Wireless Bags
2017 3160 RL
DadsHemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2021, 05:19 PM   #4
scottkeen
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20894
Quote:
Originally Posted by TenOC View Post
A number of propane dealers will recertify for free with a fill up. Other charge about $20.00
That's good info. I didn't know that!
Old 04-26-2021, 05:21 PM   #5
scottkeen
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20894
Quote:
Originally Posted by DadsHemi View Post
20lb tanks will work, and I would by new tanks before I would re certify. That’s just my opinion.
Thanks. I'm trying to find out how to dispose of my old expired 30 lb tanks if I end up buying new tanks. My county only allows disposal of up to 20 lb tanks, and anything larger they say has to be returned to the supplier and disposed. What a big hassle.
Old 04-26-2021, 05:29 PM   #6
jsb5717
Montana Master

M.O.C. #23668
Welding supply places, like Airgas and others, will swap your tanks out for certified tanks. Just pay for the gas.
jsb5717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2021, 05:39 PM   #7
scottkeen
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20894
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsb5717 View Post
Welding supply places, like Airgas and others, will swap your tanks out for certified tanks. Just pay for the gas.
That's good info about AirGas. I didn't know they do that.

I looked up AirGas earlier. The closest one is about 10 gallons of diesel round-trip for me. If they swap my tank for a certified tank then I only have to go to them once. I'll call them to confirm tomorrow. I appreciate that info, I had no idea.
Old 04-26-2021, 06:02 PM   #8
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
When I took a cylinder in for a refill early December, I said to the fellow filling it that I would have to get new cylinders soon, as they have an 06/11 date on them. He told me that the law just changed again, and that they were good for 12 years now. I have not been able to find the new regulation covering this. The law had changed back in 2017, making it 10 years instead of the 12 that it had been. This is the latest website post from Ferrellgas. https://www.ferrellgas.com/tank-talk...at-to-do-next/
rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2021, 06:20 PM   #9
Mikendebbie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21044
I just read a few things that said it was 12 yrs to re-certify...but then you need to re-certify again every 5 years. You should do more research on that to make sure the two articles I chose to read are correct - but if this is correct, I would buy new tanks and start the 12-yr clock all over.

Surely this law is based on the science and not crafted by lobbyists as a money-makin-deal to make it more attractive to buy a new tank!
Aussie Gus + Texas Heeler Jimmy
Mikendebbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2021, 06:32 AM   #10
Slow Hand
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17391
I had mine certified and it was free. They just measure the tank to make sure the tank doesn't have a bigger center and top and bottom. The also measure from top to bottom on 3 different sides to make sure the tank measures the same. Its no big deal. Like I said it was free. I just happen to go to a real propane place where they have big trucks that deliver propane.
Slow Hand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2021, 10:50 AM   #11
MARK A
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18157
I replaced mine with 2 40# tanks.

Mark
Old 04-27-2021, 01:23 PM   #12
scottkeen
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20894
Well, I started this thread because I knew I was going to run into problems here in the Northern VA DC metro area with getting these 30 lb propane tanks re-filled or re-certified or even disposed.

Maybe this info will save someone else in the area some headaches and run-around.

1. I called AirGas in Manassas, VA. They said they do not fill 30 lb propane tanks.

2. I called Valley Energy in Purcellville, VA. They said they do not fill 30 lb propane tanks, only 20 lb barbecue tanks. They said to call "Camper World".

3. I called Camping World in Manassas, VA. They said they do not fill any propane tanks, and I should call "Trailer Tractor Supply" across the street.

4. I called Southern States in Purcellville, VA. They said they do fill 30 lb propane tanks, but do not fill expired tanks and do not re-certify tanks. They said to call Leesburg Petroleum.

5. I called Leesburg Petroleum in Leesburg, VA which turned out to be Southern States in Leesburg, VA. They said they don't deal with small propane tanks, only large ones. They said to "try Google".

6. I called Tractor Supply Co in Manassas, VA as suggested by Camping World. I first had to look on a map, because there was no Trailer Tractor Supply across the street, just Tractor Supply Co. They said they would fill the 30 lb propane tanks but they don't re-certify. They said the propane tanks can be refilled for up to 12 years after manufacture date. I said the stamp on my tank says 10 years. He said then to bring them in and they'll check with the manager. I know how that's going to go.

7. I called Fairfax Propane in Fairfax, VA. They said they would fill the 30 lb propane tanks, just bring them in. I asked about the re-certify and my tanks are stamped "09-10". He said that's fine, they're under 12 years old. I said my tank is stamped with "must re-certify 10 years". He said "Look, when Fairfax County wants to know the propane laws, they call us. I'm telling you it's 12 years. And down the road, we can re-certify them." So I said I'll bring the tanks over in about a week. He said make sure you put in the GPS for the Harley Davidson next door, because the GPS coordinates for their store are wrong and it will lead me to somewhere in Merrifield, VA instead.

I did not try AmeriGas because the closest one is in Warrenton, VA which is about 20 gallons of diesel away round-trip.

The other places also said they would not take disposal of my propane tanks and the Fairfax County and Loudon County landfill websites say they won't take propane tanks over 20 lbs. Just getting rid of these is going to a problem, however I think Fairfax Propane will probably dispose of them. They seem like the only place that knows what they are doing around here.

So, I hope this helps someone else in my situation in Northern VA. I knew this was going to happen, I knew it was going to be a hassle, which is why I asked the question. Turns out I had to call 7 places in 4 cities to finally find one.
Old 04-27-2021, 01:43 PM   #13
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
"Well, I started this thread because I knew I was going to run into problems..."

Well, ESPECIALLY after all you went through, I think I'd just get new tanks. Even if you re-certify, it sounds like you'll still get hassles from propane filling stations.

I've never had to re-certify one, but when my time comes, I'm swapping out my 30 pounders for 40 pounders. TSC (Tractor Supply Company) sells them at a reasonable price. Most RV dealerships will fill propane tanks. I'm surprised yours is giving you a hard time.
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2021, 01:51 PM   #14
scottkeen
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20894
Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchmenSport View Post
"Well, I started this thread because I knew I was going to run into problems..."

Well, ESPECIALLY after all you went through, I think I'd just get new tanks. Even if you re-certify, it sounds like you'll still get hassles from propane filling stations.

I've never had to re-certify one, but when my time comes, I'm swapping out my 30 pounders for 40 pounders. TSC (Tractor Supply Company) sells them at a reasonable price. Most RV dealerships will fill propane tanks. I'm surprised yours is giving you a hard time.
I'm with you on the new tanks, but disposing my old expired tanks is also a problem. The other places would not take them for disposal, nor would the landfill of my county or the next county.

Just getting rid of them is as much of a hassle as getting them filled around here. In fact, it's more difficult.

I suppose I could take the empty expired tanks out to the country and put them on the side of the road and put a "Free" sign on it, and someone will pick it up.

The Camping World in Manassas here is a dealership too, and they would not re-fill them. Told me to go to "Trailer Tractor Supply".

I hope this is the last year I have to deal with this -- I want to move to Texas this year, and I'm working on downsizing my condo and fixing it up to put up for sale. I've had enough of living in Northern Virginia.
Old 04-27-2021, 01:59 PM   #15
jsb5717
Montana Master

M.O.C. #23668
Did you ask about just swapping tanks with Airgas or the others? I used to be a branch manager at Airgas and we swapped tanks all the time. They take yours and give you different ones that are certified. Many gas and welding places don't fill but they just swap.
jsb5717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2021, 02:02 PM   #16
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
So, at the end, it sounds like 12 years is correct now for the cylinders, regardless of what else might be stamped on them. Those who are changing to 40 lb cylinders, I guess that is cheaper than going to the gym to lift weights 😎
rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2021, 02:14 PM   #17
scottkeen
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20894
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsb5717 View Post
Did you ask about just swapping tanks with Airgas or the others? I used to be a branch manager at Airgas and we swapped tanks all the time. They take yours and give you different ones that are certified. Many gas and welding places don't fill but they just swap.
I asked some places if they did a tank exchange for the 30 lb tanks and the ones I asked they said no. I don't remember if I asked the AirGas in Manassas.

EDIT: I do remember asking him that, because I remember your message here saying that. AirGas was the first place I called because I was expecting to do a swap. He said no. But I'll call them again on Monday when they're open to confirm.
Old 04-27-2021, 02:33 PM   #18
scottz
Site Team

M.O.C. #19755
Sounds like VA is a very propane unfriendly place. I have never had any propane supplier give my 30 or 40 lb tanks a second thought.

You will be better off buying new tanks. I bought two new 40# tanks from Walmart for a little over $100; delivered to my door. 40# tanks weigh a lot, so consider that. If you go with 20# tanks, make sure your hoses will reach the shorter tank.

As far as disposing of them, I think you are overthinking this. Once empty (remove the valves) they are just a hunk of steel; someone has to be able to take them (scrap yard?); think about how many are out there; every grill in the country. The propane companies sure have a way to get rid of old tanks. I think I could figure out a way to get rid of them; but I don't live in VA.
scottz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2021, 02:38 PM   #19
scottkeen
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20894
Quote:
Originally Posted by rohrmann View Post
So, at the end, it sounds like 12 years is correct now for the cylinders, regardless of what else might be stamped on them.

Yes, I was told 12 years by both Tractor Supply Co in Manassas, VA and by Fairfax Propane in Fairfax, VA. According to Fairfax Propane, when the county wants to know the propane laws, they ask Fairfax Propane.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohrmann View Post
Those who are changing to 40 lb cylinders, I guess that is cheaper than going to the gym to lift weights ��
I understand that RV'ers like to get things for their RV that are multi-use to save space. Is this one of those examples?
Old 04-27-2021, 02:53 PM   #20
scottkeen
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20894
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottz View Post
Sounds like VA is a very propane unfriendly place.(snip)
Not just when it comes to propane. Try everything.

OT: I moved away from Northern Virginia twice to Hawaii, the last time was to Kona Hawaii on the Big Island for 10 glorious years. I never wanted to leave but I came back to VA/DC in 2015 because I needed work. There is no other reason for me to be here. So I bought my truck and RV 3 years ago and I'm planning my next escape to Texas. This time, I'm selling my home in VA and burning the bridges.

Thanks for the disposal tip on removing the valve.