Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 06-28-2020, 12:11 PM   #1
GHallof
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #25098
Hinge Issue - Wood worker advice needed

I have a 2017 3661RL. Opened the DS basement door yesterday and one of the hinges, seemingly effortlessly, pull away from the door. An aluminum plate with four screws, heavy thread. CHEAP PARTICLE BOARD...UGH.

I am hoping someone with woodworking experience can tell me how best to make this repair.

All four screws pulled out of the door. Reuse of the same holes looks to be near impossible with the appearance of the damage. Im thinking some kind of filler but have no idea whats best.

Appreciate the assist.

Gordo

2017 3661RL
GHallof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 12:16 PM   #2
Ahdmeyer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #24181
can you take a picture of it? is it somewhere it would not matter if it showed? possible drill the hole larger and glue dowells into it and the screws will have new wood
al meye3931fb
az
Ahdmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 12:25 PM   #3
GHallof
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #25098
PICS

Here are some pics
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1251.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	74.0 KB
ID:	6679   Click image for larger version

Name:	image0.jpeg
Views:	108
Size:	72.6 KB
ID:	6680   Click image for larger version

Name:	image1.jpeg
Views:	94
Size:	38.7 KB
ID:	6681   Click image for larger version

Name:	image2.jpeg
Views:	92
Size:	88.2 KB
ID:	6682  
2017 3661RL
Old 06-28-2020, 12:36 PM   #4
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
Over the years, some owners have found they have the wrong struts installed as in too much force. Others have fabbed a much larger plate out of say aluminum to allow for more crews to be installed overall for more holding power. The door core is cheap particleboard no matter what brand of RV.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 12:48 PM   #5
Ahdmeyer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #24181
well by the pictures i dont think the dowell method will work. i think myself i would get an oversized plate and fasten it, maybe find a aluminum stud possibly with a stud finder that you can get a good sturdy place to fasten it to and maybe even some 2 part epoxy to help, then tap the screw holes for the strut plate, luckly it is not where it will show up.
just my idea,
al meyer
3931fb
az
Ahdmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 01:19 PM   #6
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
As I understand the issue ... the strut pulled out of the pass thru storage door. There are no studs in any cargo doors on our fivers. The core is particle board or press wood surrounded by a metal frame.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 02:38 PM   #7
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Strongest solution would be to drill the holes thru the door, cut a metal plate to size (steel or alum.), drill holes to match strut plate, paint it white) or as near trailer color as you can), and mount on the outside of the door with bolts thru outside plate to inside plate.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 02:56 PM   #8
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Quote:
Originally Posted by BB_TX View Post
Strongest solution would be to drill the holes thru the door, cut a metal plate to size (steel or alum.), drill holes to match strut plate, paint it white) or as near trailer color as you can), and mount on the outside of the door with bolts thru outside plate to inside plate.
This is exactly what I would do. I would leave it aluminum color. I would counter sink the holes on the outside and run the bolts either 8 32 or 10 32 into the inside. You would need a 41 degree counter sink.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 04:00 PM   #9
Charlie 3931fb
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25947
Quote:
Originally Posted by BB_TX View Post
Hi All,

Bill's has it. That will be the best way to do it. But, I would not use screw's. If you can do this I would replace them with round over rivet's. And also I would do both sides. If that side all ready failed the other could not be far behind. But good call from Bill.

46 years married (Dam I been in prison that long)
Charlie 3931fb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 05:03 PM   #10
CruzinMooses
Established Member

M.O.C. #23995
another idea

After seeing the pictures and how bad the holes are here is what i would do, it is a combination of what others have said...I would dowel the holes, use JB weld to set the dowels. Then I would get an oversized piece of aluminum (at least double the size) and again use JB weld to attach the aluminum plate and use screws at the outer corners of the new plate, let it sit at least a day then reattach the original plate.... again use JB Weld in the screw holes
Old 06-28-2020, 06:48 PM   #11
Montana Man
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21963
A larger mounting plate on the inside will do the trick, on both sides. Anything mounted on the outside, even done well, will be a focal point and attract negative attention. Ensure the struts are of the proper pressure. I'm still thinking of a way to rehang these doors from the side. Who enjoys ducking under these doors anyway?
Old 06-28-2020, 08:40 PM   #12
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
This is what I did on both sides quite a few years ago, and haven't had anything come loose since. I used 1/8" X 2" aluminum, #10 X 1/4" round head screws threaded into tapped holes in the aluminum, and then #10 sheet metal screws to hold the aluminum plate to the doors. I used no glue or adhesive. The problem with the short brackets is, when the door is closed, the gas strut is pushing the bracket in one direction, and when the door is opened, the gas strut is pushing the bracket in the opposite direction, and the screws they used to attach the bracket to the door were a size too small which allowed the bracket to move back and forth.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	strut bracket.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	53.3 KB
ID:	6686  
rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 08:46 PM   #13
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
This has been an ongoing problem since the introduction of gas struts on the baggage compartment doors in 2012 (or there about). DO a Search on "strut" or "baggage door" or what ever you want and should find 12 to 15 Threads with solutions. The most common solution involves larger plates and epoxy glue along with the screws.

Here are a sample of Threads on this topic:
https://www.montanaowners.com/forums...=baggage,strut
https://www.montanaowners.com/forums...ad.php?t=68656
https://www.montanaowners.com/forums...ad.php?t=53955
https://www.montanaowners.com/forums...ad.php?t=72086
https://www.montanaowners.com/forums...ad.php?t=49205

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 10:23 PM   #14
bleedmichigan
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #23739
Drill holes to fit a threaded metal plug adhere plugs with marine epoxy and then use machine screws to hold the plate on instead of the wood screws provided.
bleedmichigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 08:36 AM   #15
GHallof
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #25098
Thank you, everyone, for the responses. Very helpful.

I figured out what caused the issue in the first place. The gas strut seized in the open position.

So on top of the hinge repair. Now I've got a strut to replace. Never ends.
2017 3661RL
Old 06-29-2020, 09:05 AM   #16
BandBmalin
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #22581
I have a 3820FK and the convenience door on mine had struts like this. I can't tell if this would work with yours because I'm not positive if the slide is above this door or not, but I got rid of the struts all together and added two magnets so the door now opens up flush against the side of the 5er. I did it a year ago and it not only works great, but I also don't bang my head on the door or have to stay hunched over because the struts used to hold it parallel to the ground. As a side benefit, I added a paper towel holder to the door that is ready and waiting everytime I open the door!
2017 Fully Grown 5 Pound Toy Golden Doodle
BandBmalin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 01:34 PM   #17
phillyg
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17801
I agree you could go with the larger backing plate per #12, or soak the existing holes with penetrating epoxy, followed by epoxy and predrilled holes.
phillyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 01:37 PM   #18
bcrvman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26399
Quote:
Originally Posted by GHallof View Post
I have a 2017 3661RL. Opened the DS basement door yesterday and one of the hinges, seemingly effortlessly, pull away from the door. An aluminum plate with four screws, heavy thread. CHEAP PARTICLE BOARD...UGH.

I am hoping someone with woodworking experience can tell me how best to make this repair.

All four screws pulled out of the door. Reuse of the same holes looks to be near impossible with the appearance of the damage. Im thinking some kind of filler but have no idea whats best.

Appreciate the assist.

Gordo
Epoxy with a strength additive. Coat screws in grease, install screws by themselves. When epoxy sets (next day) remove screws and re-assemble. Depending on if you have room, some sistering might be advised.
3,000 watt hybrid inverter with 120A charger
bcrvman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 02:38 PM   #19
Clarky

M.O.C. #21766
Quote:
Originally Posted by GHallof View Post
Here are some pics
Before fixing the damage make sure your struts are working OK and figure out the cause of why they pulled out. Secondly, if you want to maintain the finish on the outside, clean out all the holes and
Any loose wood composite and Fiberglass etc. Then fill everything with a good epoxy. You will need to remove the door and lie it on a flat surface. You can even oversize the holes ( without damage to the outside skin) To add even better support. Once hardened pre drill holes for the plate Screws and reattach. This method will be stronger than the
Original if care is taken cleaning out all loose material.
Just two cents. Good Luck.
Clarky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 03:37 PM   #20
Mr Mustang
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #25265
Quote:
Originally Posted by rohrmann View Post
This is what I did on both sides quite a few years ago, and haven't had anything come loose since. I used 1/8" X 2" aluminum, #10 X 1/4" round head screws threaded into tapped holes in the aluminum, and then #10 sheet metal screws to hold the aluminum plate to the doors. I used no glue or adhesive. The problem with the short brackets is, when the door is closed, the gas strut is pushing the bracket in one direction, and when the door is opened, the gas strut is pushing the bracket in the opposite direction, and the screws they used to attach the bracket to the door were a size too small which allowed the bracket to move back and forth.

Hey B and B, you get an A+ from me on that great fix! Can a person without a tap use self tapping screws?✌🏻️
Mr Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote