Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 02-02-2020, 08:54 PM   #21
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
Quote:
Originally Posted by prndl View Post
Without pictures I don't believe it
I see you only have a 3/4 ton short bed chevy. I have no idea if that would work for you. But it did on our 1 ton dually long bed Ram. I'm 6'2" and the tailgate is above my waste in height so there is a LOT of room up and down. You can drop the hitch a full foot or more and still have more than enough ground clearance. These new truck beds are just stupid tall if you ask me.

I am full time for work in New Mexico and the rack is in Arkansas at our retirement home so I can't show pictures. You can call me a liar if you want.

2018 Montana High Country 381TH Garage Full of Toys
mtlakejim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 12:30 PM   #22
PNW Fireguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18081
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunny B View Post
I contacted etrailer about a carrier for ebikes and they indicated no carrier on the market is recommended on the back of a TT or a 5er. They recommended to put the carrier on the front bumper of your truck.
I think you may have been misinformed.
PNW Fireguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 02:13 PM   #23
prndl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19630
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW Fireguy View Post
I think you may have been misinformed.
Here is one on e-trailer that says it is for 5th wheel trailer use and e-bikes.
https://www.etrailer.com/Hitch-Bike-...ks/HR1650.html
prndl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 05:50 PM   #24
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Interesting that the rack is approved for 5ers but not for bumper pull.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 07:26 AM   #25
mazboy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9561
what ever you get don't put bikes on your ladder:-)

swagman works for us
mazboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 09:11 AM   #26
mhs4771
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9969
We use the Swagman and have added the Quiet Hitch Clamp to really firm up the attachment.
Old 02-04-2020, 10:22 AM   #27
lightsout
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24938
I have had a Swagman for 10 years and have thousands of miles with it, however these were for Hybrid bikes under 30lbs each. After more research and the fact we recently purchased RAD Ebikes I have learned that the Swagman only has a 30lb limit per bike.

While we will carry the bikes in the basement of the 5er we also carry them on our Ram 3500 and Jeep JL Wrangler so I do need a new rack it looks like.

This is what I am ordering today it is rated to 60lbs per bike at $249 and it also locks down the bike to the rack for added security which is great for storing at the campsite or on the road.

https://www.amazon.com/Overdrive-Spo...NsaWNrPXRydWU=
lightsout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 10:29 AM   #28
prndl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19630
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightsout View Post
I have had a Swagman for 10 years and have thousands of miles with it, however these were for Hybrid bikes under 30lbs each. After more research and the fact we recently purchased RAD Ebikes I have learned that the Swagman only has a 30lb limit per bike.

While we will carry the bikes in the basement of the 5er we also carry them on our Ram 3500 and Jeep JL Wrangler so I do need a new rack it looks like.

This is what I am ordering today it is rated to 60lbs per bike at $249 and it also locks down the bike to the rack for added security which is great for storing at the campsite or on the road.

https://www.amazon.com/Overdrive-Spo...NsaWNrPXRydWU=
The last line in the Amazon description should tell you all you need to know.
Also this is rated to 60# per bike and the RAD Rover is 71#/.

I use a Hollywood rack and I have added struts and deleted the folding part as well as any other area that allows for movement. It is as solid as a rock even when I jump on either side. I also use a hitch clamp to tighten up the hitch.
prndl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 10:41 AM   #29
lightsout
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24938
Quote:
Originally Posted by prndl View Post
The last line in the Amazon description should tell you all you need to know.
Also this is rated to 60# per bike and the RAD Rover is 71#/.

I use a Hollywood rack and I have added struts and deleted the folding part as well as any other area that allows for movement. It is as solid as a rock even when I jump on either side. I also use a hitch clamp to tighten up the hitch.
Rad battery removes in like 10 seconds that brings the bike down in weight. We have the Rad Mini at 68Lbs, We also remove Seat post makes them less attractive to steal when hitched. So 60lb weight is a Non issue...

Frankly (I am sure it is a great rack) the Hollywood Rack at $430 is way over priced compared to competitors at $200 less, this rack style is very common and similar builds for less, it should be noted the Hollywood rack will not accept Fat Tire bikes.
Old 02-05-2021, 05:03 AM   #30
suny07
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #21337
Hi,

we just got the Kuat Transfer V2 with the 2 inch hitch and 2 bikes configuration.
This one is a sleek looking bike rack and warranted and approved for RV, Trailer & 5th wheels.

https://www.kuatracks.com/product/transfer-v2/

It comes with a built in hitch tightener and bike lock at $379 plus tax.

When you shop for this be aware that there is still the previous Version V1 being sold.
Also there is a 2 inch and a 1.25 inch hitch version.
Only the 2 inch hitch version with 2 bikes is approved for RV's with Chassis Mounted Hitch.

Mike

Montana 3123RL Legacy 'Boon-docking Edition'
RAM 3500 Mega Cab Cummins Diesel DRW
suny07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2021, 09:52 AM   #31
432bartman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26190
Quote:
Originally Posted by suny07 View Post
Hi,

we just got the Kuat Transfer V2 with the 2 inch hitch and 2 bikes configuration.
This one is a sleek looking bike rack and warranted and approved for RV, Trailer & 5th wheels.

When you shop for this be aware that there is still the previous Version V1 being sold.
Only the 2 inch hitch version with 2 bikes is approved for RV's with Chassis Mounted Hitch.

Mike

I too run the Kuat hitch......We love it.
2019 Keystone Montana 3560RL, 2020 Chevy 2500 HD, Firestone airbags, Air Lift wireless compressor, Curt gooseneck, 20K Reese Goosebox, TST-507, USMC combat vet & retired LEO. Robert, Anika, Breanna, Dylan (daughter-in-law Stephanie). & our Great Pyrenees Layla
432bartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2021, 07:15 PM   #32
lightsout
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24938
Quote:
Originally Posted by suny07 View Post
Hi,

Mike
It should be noted about this rack it is not rated for E-bikes on the back of an RV as they de-rate the rack to only 40lbs per bike if on an RV. Most e-bike are more than 60lbs (closer to 70lbs). These days as expensive as racks are you should always future proof buy buying over sized racks, you can buy e-bike racks for upto 200lbs that will accommodate standard bikes and e-bikes in case you ever upgrade. This rack is close to the cost of the premium Hollywood e-bike racks that is far more robust . DO NOT US THIS RACK FOR E-BIKES you will likely void the warranty and it is an obvious safety issue. Personally as expensive as e-bikes are I would not risk regardless of the rack on the back of a Montana with more than 8' behind the axel.