Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 12-23-2018, 02:52 PM   #1
jaybird
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6300
Cutting Cord w/direct and Wine guard Sat

Being that I just got a rate increase from Directv when many are "cutting the Cord" I plan to do the same this spring when home contract expires. I've been playing with Amazon Firestick 4k in advance so I'm ready at home and fiver this summer. Wife is exec at Amazon so I have to stay with Amazon stick. What I discovered is very impressive. The only issue is Live Sports and there are many ways on Utube to get apps that can solve this problem. Has anyone else Cut the Cord? And have any thoughts!!

jaybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2018, 03:19 PM   #2
AZ Traveler
Site Team

M.O.C. #20477
We camp in too many areas without wifi or cell service to consider it a viable option. On our last Alaska trip where Dish is a real challenge we resorted to DVDs. We were even out of the area where you could get satellite radio reception from SiriusXM.

"Life is too short to stay indoors, enjoy the ride!"
AZ Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2018, 03:37 PM   #3
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
It somewhat depends on where you camp. If you can get local chanels over the air you can still get some sports. Amazon will let you add sports apps, but they will cost extra. Broadband is the biggest problem. Streaming doesn't work well with campground wifi and works with phone networks only until they throttle you back. We use Dish and Amazon and have our own wifi at our two home bases.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2018, 03:42 PM   #4
PNW Fireguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18081
Have not cut the Dish Networks cord but have two fire sticks in the 5er with some of those live options you referred to. Like mentioned I anticipate winding up in places wher I won’t have ample bandwidth for acceptable feeds. We will see what happens over time. Jodi and Troypoint are great starts.
PNW Fireguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2018, 03:52 PM   #5
Last2Die
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22986
Great topic !!

For the house I use directv now. I get 25$ off a month because I’m a att unlimited customer. I have 2 roku’s and 3 Apple TVS and 1 fire stick in the house. I also run Plex home media server (running off a Mac mini)and I have just about 800 movies and more tv shows.

In my 3920 I have 3 tv’s all set up with fire sticks. I had a extra Mac mini and a WiFi router so I created a intranet inside the trailer. On the Mac mini I also run plex and have a 4tb hd with the same movies on my home server. Before I leave I turn on the Mac mini connect to home WiFi with the 4tb drive attached and download all the IMDb info then I’m all set.

For tv in the rv I have lighting to hdmi adapters on all tvs so it mirrors my phone with stream saver turned off, so I’m streaming at 1080. Streaming directv now and being a att customer there are no data caps and no limit on the streaming I can do. As a back up on extended trips I’m getting a prepaid Verizon jet pack which is unlimited.

If I have zero cell service I have my media server works perfectly.
Last2Die is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2018, 04:26 PM   #6
Montana Man
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21963
I was so disappointed with DirecTv I fired them before the contract was up. The penalty for early termination was worth getting rid of them. We got dish with pay as you go and then use local channels and dvds. If I can't find something to watch with all that I start wondering why I don't start doing something more worthwhile with my time anyway. Afterall, that is why I'm rving to begin with.
Old 12-23-2018, 06:06 PM   #7
jaybird
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6300
My direct contract ends in June. Would love to cancel ASAP. Do you mind sharing what the early cancel penalty is roughly? TU
jaybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2018, 10:11 PM   #8
Montana Man
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21963
Mine was $400. It depends on how much time is left on the contract.
Old 12-24-2018, 08:39 AM   #9
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We have been using directv for many years both at the S&B and the Montana. We use the bat wing for local channels. We travel all over. We have always received good service from directtv. We are informed of a 5.00 per month increase.5.00 will not break the bank.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2018, 08:52 AM   #10
bshgto
Montana Master

M.O.C. #16013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Last2Die View Post
Great topic !!

For the house I use directv now. I get 25$ off a month because I’m a att unlimited customer. I have 2 roku’s and 3 Apple TVS and 1 fire stick in the house. I also run Plex home media server (running off a Mac mini)and I have just about 800 movies and more tv shows.

In my 3920 I have 3 tv’s all set up with fire sticks. I had a extra Mac mini and a WiFi router so I created a intranet inside the trailer. On the Mac mini I also run plex and have a 4tb hd with the same movies on my home server. Before I leave I turn on the Mac mini connect to home WiFi with the 4tb drive attached and download all the IMDb info then I’m all set.

For tv in the rv I have lighting to hdmi adapters on all tvs so it mirrors my phone with stream saver turned off, so I’m streaming at 1080. Streaming directv now and being a att customer there are no data caps and no limit on the streaming I can do. As a back up on extended trips I’m getting a prepaid Verizon jet pack which is unlimited.

If I have zero cell service I have my media server works perfectly.

I have a headache now trying to understand this. I`m going back to just
F350 Ford Dually 4:10`s w/bags (payload 5595 lbs) Sumo Springs 63 gal aux tank
Reese Goosebox Mor/Ryde SRE 4000 X Factors Monroe shocks.... real smooth ride
bshgto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2018, 09:00 AM   #11
Last2Die
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22986
Quote:
Originally Posted by bshgto View Post
I have a headache now trying to understand this. I`m going back to just
LMAO
Last2Die is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2018, 09:26 AM   #12
PNW Fireguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18081
It's still a ways off but these TV provider battles will soon resemble the browser fights of the 90's. Remember Netscape vs IE
PNW Fireguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 04:29 PM   #13
Zinnman
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #15824
Dish Anywhere, except Canada and Alaska.

We cut the cord and now use Hulu at home on a Roku. We have an unlimited plan with Verizon so we use Hulu as we travel. Yes, there are times when their is no service or poor service. We love to read as well so not an issue.
Zinnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 07:06 PM   #14
DebNJim B
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21158
Cutting Directv at S&B this week as we head out to the RV for the winter. Have a wired router at our home base and will use Dish pay as you go when we got to Fla in Feb. Have fire sticks in the RV and use DirecTVNow and Netflix mostly. Dropping the SAT should save me enough to cover unlimited data.

DebNJim B is offline   Reply With Quote