Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 11-07-2018, 06:07 PM   #1
vipermanden
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18510
Covering an RV or Shrink Wrapping it?

I never covered my Monty 5th wheel and just kept it well waxed, because the RV storage lot I have it at gets dusty and windy and I don't want that getting up under the cover and sanding my Full Body paint job. My wife had an idea seeing all of the nice boats up here in Lake Tahoe shrink wrapped with that white plastic. Is this a good idea or possibility with our 5th wheels for storing during the winter? Do they come out to your place and do it, or do you have to show up at their place and then tow your shrink wrapped 5th wheel to your storage facility with the brake lights uncovered?

Old 11-07-2018, 06:29 PM   #2
bshgto
Montana Master

M.O.C. #16013
maybe

I had a 27 ft boat done yearly for 250.00, they came to the boat but the boat was in the boat yard. was priced per ft. but didn`t have 8` walls or a bunt front and rear cap. sounds pricey. I use a cover for the rv and pull the bottom tight yes I know all the potential problems but none have happened to me in 30 years.
F350 Ford Dually 4:10`s w/bags (payload 5595 lbs) Sumo Springs 63 gal aux tank
Reese Goosebox Mor/Ryde SRE 4000 X Factors Monroe shocks.... real smooth ride
bshgto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 06:38 PM   #3
Renegade1LI
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22165
Quote:
Originally Posted by vipermanden View Post
I never covered my Monty 5th wheel and just kept it well waxed, because the RV storage lot I have it at gets dusty and windy and I don't want that getting up under the cover and sanding my Full Body paint job. My wife had an idea seeing all of the nice boats up here in Lake Tahoe shrink wrapped with that white plastic. Is this a good idea or possibility with our 5th wheels for storing during the winter? Do they come out to your place and do it, or do you have to show up at their place and then tow your shrink wrapped 5th wheel to your storage facility with the brake lights uncovered?
Search youtube, looks great, can add door kit & vents but the cost seems high, I saw 16$ per ft installed. If you DIY you can buy it for a reasonable price here https://mrshrinkwrap.com/catalog/pro.../category/305/ plus you need the heating tools which you can rent for about 75$. The couple sites I looked at it seems they will come to you.
Renegade1LI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 09:32 PM   #4
bigred715
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5091
If you are located in a very dry climate it might be OK IMO. In a wet climate it would seem to trap the moisture which wouldn't be good. I think that you would need some air movement and sealing it up that tight might not be good. Just my opinion. I live in somewhat wet Oregon.
bigred715 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 07:12 AM   #5
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We never covered our Rv's for storage. We note dealers do not cover their inventory. We were in Northern Ohio near lake Erie were brutal winters are common
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 08:41 AM   #6
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigred715 View Post
If you are located in a very dry climate it might be OK IMO. In a wet climate it would seem to trap the moisture which wouldn't be good. I think that you would need some air movement and sealing it up that tight might not be good. Just my opinion. I live in somewhat wet Oregon.
Agree. I don't like regular covers either. Can you find covered storage for it, that would be best? I keep mine at boat dealer...inside, locked with power.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 09:16 AM   #7
kozzy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18144
I live in upsate NY, and I have never covered mine, I have heard pros and cons both ways. I asked Keystone reps once, There reply was simply, they are made to handle the weather and climates. If you properly maintain your unit, I personal do not see the need to cover. Inventory on new lots are never covered. I inspect my roof several times a year. In the spring, I clean the roof and do the treatment. I wash and wax my camper. I look it over for anything that needs to be addresses, sealed, etc. Done it with all my campers i have ever owned. I have never had any issues with the outside what so ever, and more campers have always been in excellent shape when trading or selling. If you do normal maintenance on the unit as suggested, you should be fine without a cover. My father used one on his class A, and Every year he is doing some sort of restore on the finish from the scuffs of the cover blowing over it and rubbing, etc.. I am a boater as well, and I do more work on my boat after removing the wrap than I do on my camper that just sits normally. However, I wont NOT cover my boat, as that really needs to be wrapped...different beast all together.
2019 Ram 3500 SRW Laramie CTD 6.7
kozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 12:51 PM   #8
mazboy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9561
like ed said, NO.

this is from another Ed
mazboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 04:55 PM   #9
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
As stated, the best possible solution is covered storage. My unit stays in a pole building 24/7 while not being used (around 85% of the time). IMHO I would not own a camper if I had to store it elsewhere (other than at my house)
beeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 05:37 PM   #10
vipermanden
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18510
There just are not many covered storage facilities near us, and if you can find an opening, they are looking for $500+ per month and it is not a full covering, just an open storage with a roof on it, so sunlight still hits your RV
Old 11-08-2018, 08:32 PM   #11
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigred715 View Post
We arrived to our Snowbird site in Florida 1Nov and watched our neighbor remove the shrink wrap from his boat. Upholstery was a disaster, mold and stain from captured moisture and heat, sitting in the Florida humidity all summer.
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 03:43 PM   #12
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
WOW $500 a month for covered storage. I will take mine out of my pole building and store yours for $450 a month. LOL
Old 11-09-2018, 06:14 PM   #13
sambam
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13166
I live in the northeast and use a cover. Plenty of pros and cons, but I have had good luck covering, so will continue. As far as shrink wrapping goes, I agree with above, moisture could be trapped and cause issues come spring. I use a breathable cover and a couple of windows cracked. Works for me.

2010 Montana 3455SA, Mor/Ryde pin, wet bolts, TST 507, Progressive HW50C, GY G614
2019 Silverado D/A 3500HD LTZ DRW CC
B&W Companion
sambam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 09:07 AM   #14
Mike3387
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19510
Here in the Northwest, we kept our Class C covered except for one year. That year proved to me that covering during winter was better because of the oxidation that took place was a pain to remove/restore. Bought a Montana last Spring and immediately started shopping for a cover. The covered storage options are very expensive around here, the price to store it for the Winter/Spring is more than my cover cost. I like having it covered in my backyard.
Old 11-14-2018, 02:26 PM   #15
Mark N.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13862
I just don't understand the desire so many have to spend all that money to cover their Rvs. Winter is harmless to them. The summer on the other hand, with hot temperatures and killer UV levels, now THAT is what hurts everything that is exposed to it. If you cover your RV in the winter but not the summer, you're doing it backwards. I'm 45 years into RVing in Northern Utah, and I've never once saw an issue arise because I didn't cover my RV. My neighbor on the other hand took some serious paint damage once when his cover ripped in a 70 mph wind episode and it really damaged his paint. No thanks.
Mark N. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 03:56 PM   #16
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark N. View Post
I just don't understand the desire so many have to spend all that money to cover their Rvs. Winter is harmless to them. The summer on the other hand, with hot temperatures and killer UV levels, now THAT is what hurts everything that is exposed to it. If you cover your RV in the winter but not the summer, you're doing it backwards. I'm 45 years into RVing in Northern Utah, and I've never once saw an issue arise because I didn't cover my RV. My neighbor on the other hand took some serious paint damage once when his cover ripped in a 70 mph wind episode and it really damaged his paint. No thanks.
I agree, other that water getting in (which can happen anytime) the sun is what bakes them to death. I have seen way to much damage to covers and campers that were covered.
Old 11-14-2018, 08:19 PM   #17
simplyus

M.O.C. #22771
Cover or not Cover

We recently have had this discussion with many who have RV's... Cover or not cover.

We use to cover our Class A. The Cover was made for our RV and fit well. So well that one winter a mom and dad raccoon, made a nest on the roof. The use the front end and scratched off the roof top to help build their next and then used that scraped side for their bathroom. On the back end they had their nest and had their babies. Quite a surprise when we removed the cover in early spring.

As for the Shrink Wrap, we looked into that too for our new Montana and have also looked around. If you look at boats that are properly shrink wrapped, they build a wood frame inside and around items in the boat before they wrap. On the RV, the would build a wood frame on the roof around any of the items on the roof, like the air conditioner, etc. We were told that we could get mold and have other problems. It works on the boats because of the open areas and they can dry out..and also they are made for water.

We have met many that have rigs over 10 years and look brand new.. They have them detailed (Washed and waxed) 2 times a year.. in the spring and in the fall... they all look amazing and they are out in the elements all year long....

In the end, I guess it is just a personal choice.
simplyus is offline   Reply With Quote