Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 12-17-2004, 03:11 PM   #1
alanzuck
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #871
Direct TV

I am getting Direct TV for my house. I also want to get an extra dish for Monty. The extra dish will probably be a portable one.

Monty came with satellite preparation. Please let me know if my understanding is correct. After my dish is correctly aimed at a satellite, I connect a cable from the dish to the side of Monty where the input connection is. My question is, will I then get TV inside, or do I have to connect something inside to the TV? I would think that I would have to connect the Direct TV receiver to the TV. If that is the case, how do I connect it to the big TV in the living room that is somehow bolted to the cabinet? Would I have to get to the back of the TV?

It's really tough trying to get into the 21st century!

alanzuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2004, 01:35 AM   #2
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
Send a message via Skype™ to padredw
Alan, I'm sure you will get many responses to this question, but I'll jump right in. Yes, you do connect the Direct TV RECEIVER to the TV set. In my 2955RL, I disconnect the cable from the antenna to TV, and connect it to the TV out port of the receiver. These cables and connections are in a small "shelf compartment" below the TV in our unit and easy to get to. Of course the cable from the satellite is connected to the RECEIVER. I'm just reallizing it's a lot easier to do than it is to describe!
padredw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2004, 03:11 AM   #3
ken
Montana Master

M.O.C. #345
alanzuck
Here is my two cents. You have to connect your dish to the outside satellite connection. Be sure you are using RG-6 wire. It then goes to the satellite receiver before it goes to the tv. If your rig has a jumper box inside(2004/2005 models), you connect the receiver there and disconect the jumper cable. That way you can use both antennas. Were installing a new satellite antenna on the roof of the new rig. We had one on the old one and it worked great.
Ken and Velda Taylor
Dahlgren VA
2003 3655FL (new 3475 on order)/Ford F350 Diesel
ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2004, 04:41 AM   #4
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
alanzuck,
The only addition or clarification I can make is to connect your satellite cable to your receiver before you try aiming your dish antenna. The receiver has built in systems to help you setup and aim your antenna. They are very useful. If you need details just drop a note.

HamRad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2004, 06:24 AM   #5
Montana_2230
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2230
To add to HamRad's response. Using the menu for the satelite receiver will put a screen on your TV set. Select the setup and then signal test. you can then select a test bar with a tone that will help you fine tune the antenna pointing to a max signal reading. It's loud and I use it with the 5th door open, and I can hear it ok. Or you can have your wife watch the signal bar.
You can also enter the zip code where you are camped to get the location of the Satelite.

I just bought a 3 foot tripod from radio for 19 dollars.

My satelite cable did not have a connector on it inside the 5th. Got one at Radio Shack.

Good luck with yours.
Montana_2230 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2004, 06:26 AM   #6
Montana_2230
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2230
OOPS make that tripod $29.00.
Montana_2230 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2004, 06:30 AM   #7
Dick n Marie
Established Member

M.O.C. #58
To help make the setup easier I use a satellite meter to locate and fine tune the incoming signal. You can find them on Ebay or Camping World also has them.
Dick n Marie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2004, 12:41 AM   #8
Montana_31
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #31
Okay, I'll throw my 2 cents in, we do all that advice given above too when we set-up our portable dish. Somethings you might consider is to buy 100 feet of RG-6 cable so if you are camped in the woods you can maneuver the dish to some place to aim it through the trees to the satellite. Secondly, you will need a way to anchor whatever tripod you get to the ground so the wind doesn't blow it over. Some tri-pod made for a dish come with a system to anchor it to the ground (not a very good one , however). I have seen gallon milk jugs filled with water and hanging from the tri-pod and tri-pods secured to a piece of plywood or board to give it stability. I bought one from camping world made for satellite dishes and drilled holes through the bottom of the legs and spiked it to the ground. And lastly, if you do get one made for dishes, there will probably be a bubble level on the tri-pod to help you set it up vertically. Don't be overly concerned about getting it level or having the built in compass directions on the tri-pod facing north. After a few times setting it up, you will be able to do it quickly without using a compass at all. Just look around at the other dishes in the park to see which way they are facing.
Montana_31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2005, 06:41 PM   #9
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
I replied to another post with this info. I just saw a tripod for dishes that has a base you fill with water to weight it down instead of bricks or water bottles. It was advertised in either Trailer life or Good Sam Highways.
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2005, 05:53 AM   #10
patodonn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #331
There is a topic just below yours which has a lot of good basic info on satellite TV "stuff". It is titled "Dish TV":

http://www.forumco.com/montanaadmini...?TOPIC_ID=7439

The Satellite Finder (see above topic) is an invaluable device.

The set-up is a lot more difficult to explain than make. Just remember, there is only one antenna cable that goes into the back of the TV. It will need to be the OUTPUT of one of the "boxes" you are using. All the various inputs; rooftop antenna, DVD/VCR player and Satellite Receiver, have to come together somewhere prior to that single output cable to the TV. There should be no need to get into the back of the TV, just use the cable that comes out from there.

Aiming the dish will have to be the last step in the whole process. You have to get the Satellite receiver connected to the TV in order to access the necessary aiming info, and, if you don't have a "Satellite Finder" (in-line signal strength meter), you need the TV to view and/or hear the signal strength indications.

You might also want to do a Search in the Forum for "Satellite TV" and similar topic titles. I'm sure there is plenty of info in the Forum to help get your dish up and running.

Best Regards,
patodonn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2005, 10:48 AM   #11
Thunderman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #920
Alan,
You can use your home zip code if you are within 100 miles of your residence. After set up, going thru the steps in menu you will be ask to choose a satellite. If you have the twin LNB on your dish you may want 119, which will give you local channels and all other channels in your package....if you have the single LNB you may want 110. The 110 will give you local channels and some others. If you are able to discuss this with the tech who installs your set at the house it will be helpful.
I just did this with Dish and have the super 500 dish at home, for the Monty I use a Direct dish with one LNB and at this point have picked up satellite 110 only. Hope to find another super 500 dish with the twin LNB. Hope this helps, good luck!
Thunderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2005, 02:27 PM   #12
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
As for zip codes, if you travel with a laptop with either streets and trips or street atlas USA, you can find your zip very easily. Also, finding the address in your Woodalls or Trailer Life directory will help. We went with the roof mounted system, which I personally believe is better suited to Direct TV than Dish since it only has a single LNBF. With the tripod mounted systems, it is not as bad, since you can set the skew on a dual LNBG system and see "both" Dish Network satellites from the same setting. We have had Comcast cable but had Dish prior to that. So, we are stuck with the legacy equipment and would need to invest in HDTV stuff for home with Dish versus getting it free from Direct TV.

Alanzuck - did you get your cabling figured out. Lots of help on that part, but didn't see whether you got yours done or not. Your dealer surely can help get you set up if you don't get it yourself.
Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2005, 02:45 PM   #13
Ishler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1328
I'll jump on and say the signal meter makes the aiming much easier. Below is a link to my favorite dish mount, very flexable.
http://www.rvdishmount.com/

Mike
Ishler is offline   Reply With Quote